Help Sonotube Blowout

Old 06-27-2008, 09:20 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: decks and remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

Help Sonotube Blowout

Can you wrap plastic around sonotube footings that wont get poured for a few days so they dont blow out. New to sonotubes and had a couple of them blow out on me and cave in , and the weat5her was not even rainy. Any help would be great my concrete guy cant pour them for a week or so so should I just wait and then put them in or wrap with plastic .

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-27-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpentry Contractor
Rewards Points: 232

Re: Help Sonotube Blowout

I'm not sure that I have ever seen a real sonotube blow out. Are you using some cheaper knockoff?

Now I often use these paper thin cardboard forms 12" wide x 9" tall. They occaisionally blow out. Usually it's not a big deal. But if you are having the 1/4" thick sonotubes blowing out, you better find another supplier.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:17 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: sparky
Rewards Points: 500

the only time I have had trouble with a sono-tube i when they get wet. If your earth is amp, the tube will soak up enough moisture to wreck it.

there is a sono-tube that has a plastic coating on it to prevent absorbing moisture but the ends are still subject to soaking up moisture so you still need to deal with that.

I try to pour the same day I set the tubes, maybe the next day but I would never wait more than that.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Deck guy
Rewards Points: 2,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemoncoke View Post
Can you wrap plastic around sonotube footings that wont get poured for a few days so they dont blow out.
Yes. These sat in the ground for about a month before concrete was poured. The only real problem was the siding guys thought they would make a great staging area for their Hardiplank. A couple of the sonotubes got a little misshapen but didn't crush. The plastic over the top keeps crap from falling in the hole until you pour. If you're worried about little people falling in, duct tape plywood squares over the plastic.

Mac
Attached Thumbnails
Help sonotube blowout-70901-01.jpg   Help sonotube blowout-70902-01.jpg  
Old 06-29-2008, 01:16 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: General Building Contractor
Rewards Points: 89

You might try wrapping some shrink-wrap around the base a bunch of times and work the final layers up enough to use duct tape so that water doesn't get between the wrap and tube.

Also make sure the concrete guy does not put too much water in the mix when pouring. They sometimes do that to make it easy on themselves, but it ups the pressure a lot.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:51 AM   #6
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Rewards Points: 2,000

Don't use them all that often,
but the ones I get from the
lumber yard always have a
waxy coating on them, no?