Gothic Posts

Old 04-02-2011, 07:18 AM   #1

Trade: Fence Builder/Installer
Rewards Points: 10

Gothic Posts

Anyone know how to cut the gothic points or do any other type of nice fence posts tops? I own a fence company here in central Indiana and would like to be able to do this myself as the company I get my material from will only let me purchase these posts 12 at a time....usually 3 of them are so warped you cant use them. Besides I know it would save me money. Plus if I could do it myself I could reduce prices to get a job if I have to.
I know there is a machine out there to do this just cant find it...any ideas?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
Deck Designer/Builder

Trade: Construction Project Manager
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Gothic Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanalsg1 View Post
Anyone know how to cut the gothic points or do any other type of nice fence posts tops? I own a fence company here in central Indiana and would like to be able to do this myself as the company I get my material from will only let me purchase these posts 12 at a time....usually 3 of them are so warped you cant use them. Besides I know it would save me money. Plus if I could do it myself I could reduce prices to get a job if I have to.
I know there is a machine out there to do this just cant find it...any ideas?
Not quite sure what you mean by "gothic points" - do you have a picture?

The "machine" I use to cut wood is called a "saw".

Old 04-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter Extraordinaire
Rewards Points: 1,294

Sounds like a job for a "Band Saw".

Andy.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
I eat sawdust.

Trade: Deck Design/Build
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecksEtc View Post
Not quite sure what you mean by "gothic points" - do you have a picture?
french gothic. popular in picket fences
Old 04-03-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: carpenter/ handyman

I like that!
I cut 120 Gothic pickets once, but never the posts. It looks like quite an experience. Leo or the Duke will know.
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
french gothic. popular in picket fences
Old 04-06-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
Pro

I am surprised that help hasn't come your way by now?
Steve
Old 04-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #7

someone out there has to know how to quickly cut these shapes into pickets and posts
Old 04-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 500

I dont see the challenge, I must be missing something. I would use a router for the concave neck and the band saw with some simple jig for mass production. Im sure the company you buy them from has a cnc machine and based on your time it might not be cost effective... but im not seeing something. I could see gothic post with gargoyles carved on top being something to scratch your head about. What am I not seeing explain?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #9

there is some sort of machine out there that is made for cutting this shape....quickly. Of course I could cut it with a router and a band saw but it would take awhile. The machine out there will cut the notch and the point at the same time. I understand that you put the post in and pull the cutter down and it shapes it. You have to do it for all four sides but can do a post in about a minute or so...have searched and searched and cant find it out there...
Old 04-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 500

Buy a cnc machine or maybe a carvewright its really sort of a simple desighn but if you want to spend the money to mass produce that post it wouldnt be difficult. You could have cutter knives made specifically for that shape. Or you could make a good jig and by a router bit. And tell a apprentice to spend the day makeing spear shaped fence post heads.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Fence Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

A topping machine is what you're looking for. Not sure of the correct name, but you can top one post, or 5 pickets at a time. Pull the cutter handle to make your top gothic, and push to form your concave part. Last time I researched them they went for close around $8-$10K, run on 3 phase, and you need an air source to clamp the material down.

Expensive, but if you're company is big enough, you can save big bucks on materials, plus you can cut custom pickets. The company I used to work for had one, and they had jigs set up for 6-8 different designs.

If you use Master Halco, I believe they may sell one.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #12

thanks...i will talk to them in the morning as I am picking up some chain link tomorrow.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #13

Trade: Remodeling, all aspects

I had to make a hundred or so one time out of oak. I used a hole saw on a drill press to make the notches and large band saw for the rest of the curved top. Takes time, but you could put a helper on it. Once you get the process down, it's fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Main Street For This Useful Post:
stp57 (04-10-2011)
Old 04-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #14
Pro

Great idea! I don't think that they make a router bit large enough to do that notch in one pass? Do you think that a Forester bit might work better than a hole saw? I imagine a simple jig with stops would make it easy to drill all four sides evenly & keep the stock from shifting?
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Main Street View Post
I had to make a hundred or so one time out of oak. I used a hole saw on a drill press to make the notches and large band saw for the rest of the curved top. Takes time, but you could put a helper on it. Once you get the process down, it's fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to stp57 For This Useful Post:
PA woodbutcher (04-10-2011)
Old 04-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 2,710

I'd rough cut them on the bandsaw & then make a precise template outta mdf & use a router with a guide bushing for final cleanup. I've got a spiral bit for the router that's like 3" long so you could clean up at least 2 at a time & possibly 3. Wouldn't take but an hour to make the jig.

If you've got a 23 guage pinner that shoots long nails, you could pin 2-3 together & batch cut them on the bandsaw.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #16

Trade: Home Improvement
Thumbs up

Hello, I am a home improvement company and I neded to move an existing fence to accomadate a new Garage. I re-used the fence sections, but like you I needed to make two different jigs. Keep in mind this was done after the posts were inslalled.I made the first jig out of three 2"X4" 's that went around the post in a "u" shape. (and used a hole saw to make the scallops. (Note: I used a longer pilot drill bit to keep it straight. For the point I simply used a similar setup, only this jig used 3/4" for the paralell parts of the "u" and a 4" 2"X6" between them. Using this jig, I just used a jig saw with a long blade to cut the semi-arch point on the top. Then I sanded it smooth. Now obviosly this would have been much easier had I done this in my shop on a drill press and a band saw, but I was out of town and needed to complete before returning home. Hope this helps someone. (Please note that fencing is not what I usually do.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #17
Deck Parts Retailer

Trade: deck builder

you should be able to buy those posts, I took 1100 of them cut the tops off, cut them into 28" pieces and turned them on a lathe.
So i know they are available, should be no more than 20 bucks. Thats pretty seasonal stuff though. guy in california spindles.com or mr.spindle, not sure, he had a booth @ the deck show, should have just the top you could drill, dowel and peg on top.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: repair & renovation
Rewards Points: 2,224

Yup killers right. They have just the top you add to the post.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #19
Deck Parts Retailer

Trade: deck builder

imagine that, I was rrrrrrright bout sumpin
Old 11-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: repair & renovation
Rewards Points: 2,224

Dont get used to it.