Fiberon Horizon Tropics Decking

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
Pro
 
AutumnWood Inc.'s Avatar
 
Trade: Deck Builder
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 748
Rewards Points: 500

Fiberon Horizon Tropics Decking


Here is a deck we a working on now with the new Fiberon Horizon Tropics
It is in the Rosewood color, and it looks great .. ! The Horizon line is similar to Correct Deck CX. It seems very durable and it is not suppose to fade or stain. I like that its much cheaper than the Timber Tech XLM desert bronze. We pay the same price for the Fiberon Horizons as we do with the Correct Deck CX.

The deck has a triple border with the middle board in Correct Deck CX pebble - to try to tie in the pebble railing.

We are not finished yet with the job, waiting for the landscaper to run his pavers and then we can finish the stairs. If I get a chance I will post some finished pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Fiberon Horizon Tropics Decking-fady-job-026.jpg   Fiberon Horizon Tropics Decking-fady-job-031.jpg   Fiberon Horizon Tropics Decking-fady-job-010.jpg  
AutumnWood Inc. is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   
 

Old 09-18-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
Custom Stuff
 
Mike(VA)'s Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor - Custom Renovations
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 867
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Fiberon Horizon Tropics Decking


Very nice looking deck. We are doing a deck in Sand. Assuming you did a round-over treatment of the butt ends against the perimeter boards, how did you treat the ends since the insides (inside the pvc coating) is much lighter than the surface?

__________________
__________________________________________________ ___________
I EXPECT THAT SOMEDAY I WILL SEE THE FRUITS OF MY LABOR. IS IT SOMEDAY YET?
Clifton, Great Falls, McLean, Fairfax Station, Manassas, Virginia Renovation Contractor
Mike(VA) is offline  
Old 09-18-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
Pro
 
AutumnWood Inc.'s Avatar
 
Trade: Deck Builder
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 748
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Fiberon Horizon Tropics Decking


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike(VA) View Post
Very nice looking deck. We are doing a deck in Sand. Assuming you did a round-over treatment of the butt ends against the perimeter boards, how did you treat the ends since the insides (inside the pvc coating) is much lighter than the surface?
With the Fiberon boards the border or picture frame hides the end cuts very well. With Correct Deck it seems you do see the end cuts inside the picture frame border... so we hit all the cut ends with the Correct Deck CX touch up matching stain.
AutumnWood Inc. is offline  
Old 09-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
John Hyatt
 
John Hyatt's Avatar
 
Trade: out door areas, decks,spa room additions,fire pits
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 2,977
Rewards Points: 2,464

Re: Fiberon Horizon Tropics Decking


Sweet work Man!! I am intersted in how the color holds up down the road but thats as nice as any Ipe project I have done.

Steel or Alum with the rail detail ? J.
John Hyatt is online now  
Old 09-18-2009, 04:31 PM   #5
Workin' Hard & Havin' Fun
 
BreyerConstruct's Avatar
 
Trade: Deck Designer/Builder
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 1,763
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Fiberon Horizon Tropics Decking


Looks Great!!

~Matt
BreyerConstruct is offline  
Old 09-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #6
Pro
 
AutumnWood Inc.'s Avatar
 
Trade: Deck Builder
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 748
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Fiberon Horizon Tropics Decking


Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hyatt View Post
Sweet work Man!! I am intersted in how the color holds up down the road but thats as nice as any Ipe project I have done.

Steel or Alum with the rail detail ? J.
The balusters are Deckorators which I believe are aluminum. Square balusters with baskets.

The Fiberon Horizon has a ten year fade and stain warranty, I guess some new technology
AutumnWood Inc. is offline  
Old 09-18-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
The Deck Guy
 
Greg Di's Avatar
 
Trade: Outdoor Design & Construction
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 3,126
Rewards Points: 2,000
Send a message via AIM to Greg Di

Re: Fiberon Horizon Tropics Decking


I like it!

Ironically the Fiberon rep was out visiting me today (again) and keeps wanting me to push Horizon, but I was unaware they made a varigated grain version of it now. Previously they had solid colors only.

It's basically a 50/50 G1 composite that's encapsulated if I remember right. Heavy as hell.

I've been installing TONS of XLM Desert Bronze as of late. In fact, switched two clients that had contracted for Earthwoods to it.

We installed Azek Kona today. Looks really nice installed. The HFS is brutal though. It's so damn slow compared to running grooved boards.
Greg Di is offline  
Old 09-18-2009, 06:21 PM   #8
Pro
 
AutumnWood Inc.'s Avatar
 
Trade: Deck Builder
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 748
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Fiberon Horizon Tropics Decking


Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Di View Post
I like it!

Ironically the Fiberon rep was out visiting me today (again) and keeps wanting me to push Horizon, but I was unaware they made a varigated grain version of it now. Previously they had solid colors only.

It's basically a 50/50 G1 composite that's encapsulated if I remember right. Heavy as hell.

I've been installing TONS of XLM Desert Bronze as of late. In fact, switched two clients that had contracted for Earthwoods to it.

We installed Azek Kona today. Looks really nice installed. The HFS is brutal though. It's so damn slow compared to running grooved boards.

I like the look of the Horizon Tropics better than the XLM Desert Bronze. It is very durable but I don't know if there is anything more durable against scratches than the XLM. The draw back is the price of the desert bronze around $4.00 a foot and the Horizon tropics is around $2.85 a foot. It is cheaper here than the standard XLM. The horizon line also has two tropics colors - Ipe and Rosewood.

Last edited by AutumnWood Inc.; 09-18-2009 at 06:25 PM.
AutumnWood Inc. is offline  
Old 09-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #9
Registered User
 
crazyson2001's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Fiberon Horizon Tropics Decking


Looks great. I'm not sure I'm 100% sold on the sand color in the picture frame, but its growing on me.

I'll second (or third or forth) the comments on the XLM Desert Bronze. Looks awesome, but holy hell is it expensive.

What supplier do you use for your CorrectDeck and Fiberon? I feel like I'm in a dead zone in Michigan for them. The only places that sell it are 50+ miles away. I just hate being that far of a drive if they need to bring a small order out.
crazyson2001 is offline  
Old 09-19-2009, 06:11 AM   #10
Pro
 
AutumnWood Inc.'s Avatar
 
Trade: Deck Builder
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 748
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Fiberon Horizon Tropics Decking


Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyson2001 View Post
Looks great. I'm not sure I'm 100% sold on the sand color in the picture frame, but its growing on me.

I'll second (or third or forth) the comments on the XLM Desert Bronze. Looks awesome, but holy hell is it expensive.

What supplier do you use for your CorrectDeck and Fiberon? I feel like I'm in a dead zone in Michigan for them. The only places that sell it are 50+ miles away. I just hate being that far of a drive if they need to bring a small order out.
Any lumber yard can get either product ... The Correct Deck CX is distrubuted by Mett company from Howell MI or Weeks forest products from Grand Rapids. The Fiberon came from Cooke County Lumber in Chicago Ill . They are the only distrubuters in the midwest who have the Horizon Tropics in stock for this year. Any Michigan lumber yard can order from these distrubuters.

The Correct Deck CX color is Pebble not Sand ... Correct Deck does not make the Sand color any more.
AutumnWood Inc. is offline  
Old 09-20-2009, 04:52 PM   #11
Pro
 
RobertCDF's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom deck builder
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 7,964
Rewards Points: 3,681

Re: Fiberon Horizon Tropics Decking


Personally I think the horizon does not live up to its hype. Now I will give it that the hardwood look is awesome but the rest of the product sucks.

It is not a reversible board at all, the groove is not centered and there is a cup to the board. The WIDTHS vary as much as 3/16" from 1 board to another. The product grows throughout the day noticeably. The product is soft junk that when you beat the next board into the clips it pushes the last one into the spacer nub on the HFS jacking up your spacing. I would be willing to bet that a 16" O.C. framed deck that gets sun all day will probably start to do the wave in a year or 2. Not damaging any fasteners, just sagging a little between the joists (Probably not noticeable to most). The product is soft and fairly easy to damage. Railings are not composite they are PVC and very weak in my opinion. The post sleeve is nice but thats because I prefer sleeves over posts all the time.

Just a couple of my observations...
RobertCDF is online now  
Old 09-20-2009, 10:00 PM   #12
Pro
 
AutumnWood Inc.'s Avatar
 
Trade: Deck Builder
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 748
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Fiberon Horizon Tropics Decking


Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCDF View Post
Personally I think the horizon does not live up to its hype. Now I will give it that the hardwood look is awesome but the rest of the product sucks.

It is not a reversible board at all, the groove is not centered and there is a cup to the board. The WIDTHS vary as much as 3/16" from 1 board to another. The product grows throughout the day noticeably. The product is soft junk that when you beat the next board into the clips it pushes the last one into the spacer nub on the HFS jacking up your spacing. I would be willing to bet that a 16" O.C. framed deck that gets sun all day will probably start to do the wave in a year or 2. Not damaging any fasteners, just sagging a little between the joists (Probably not noticeable to most). The product is soft and fairly easy to damage. Railings are not composite they are PVC and very weak in my opinion. The post sleeve is nice but thats because I prefer sleeves over posts all the time.

Just a couple of my observations...
I had none of those problems, The boards are reversible. We never had to beat the board into the clips at all. It is a much softer product than the Correct Deck which makes it easier to work with. On this deck the Correct Deck moved the same amount as the Fiberon.

I will agree Fiberon needs better railings, It would be great if they made a matching Horizon Tropics 2x4. Their fascia or railings do not match the Horizon Tropics.

AutumnWood Inc. is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Merbau decking deck king Decks & Fencing 15 06-23-2010 09:51 PM
Non-slip finish for wet wood decking, or go composite ??? akm Decks & Fencing 0 07-05-2009 02:19 PM
overhead composite decking coupe33 Decks & Fencing 4 05-10-2009 09:45 PM
Fiberon Horizon WarnerConstInc. Decks & Fencing 6 05-01-2009 10:06 PM
Preference in the Way your Decking Boards Turn jcalvin Decks & Fencing 25 03-12-2009 01:01 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?