Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Fence posts lifting

11K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  skyhook 
#1 ·
I live in Ct. and this is the first year I had this problem. In some real wet yards the vinyl posts are lifting up 2" to 4". I dig down 32" and put 80 lb. of cement in the bottom. I can tap them back down so they are lifting inside of the cement. I had one cedar job do the same and the posts are set deeper. We had 8" of rain but I don't know if that could be the cause.
I was thinking of drilling the bottom of the posts and putting rebar across so the cement would have something to hold. Out of hundreds of posts this only happened a few times. I could use any input Thanks

#2 ·
I live in Ct. and this is the first year I had this problem. In some real wet yards the vinyl posts are lifting up 2" to 4". I dig down 32" and put 80 lb. of cement in the bottom. I can tap them back down so they are lifting inside of the cement. I had one cedar job do the same and the posts are set deeper. We had 8" of rain but I don't know if that could be the cause.
I was thinking of drilling the bottom of the posts and putting rebar across so the cement would have something to hold. Out of hundreds of posts this only happened a few times. I could use any input Thanks​
That will happen when you use pure cement. Should have used concrete. :jester:​

#8 ·
I was thinking of drilling the bottom of the posts and putting rebar across so the cement would have something to hold. Out of hundreds of posts this only happened a few times. I could use any input Thanks
That will happen when you use pure cement. Should have used concrete. :jester:[/center]
It was concrete. I use premix. Thanks
I agree with you there Curapa. It dont take much to grab the post to the cement.
Since this is all about information sharing, consider this,
Concrete is made from three ingredients,
Sand, gravel and pure cement.

#13 ·
I've got the plans from an architect for a commercial picnic area. The posts were specified to have spikes on four sides (16d nails) of the post before filling solid w/ concrete...point for you fellows is just drive in some galvanized nails before setting them posts and you should be good to go. The 1" hole sounds very promising as long as you vibrate the concrete down low.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.