Dimensional PVC Or Composite Lumber

Old 02-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 250

Dimensional PVC Or Composite Lumber

Does anyone have a good source for larger PVC or composite dimensional lumber? I have a customer that might want a vinyl pergola, but I don't want to just offer her a rectangular kit. I'd like to do some custom work. Looking for 2x8 & 2x6 with some 2x2's most likely. Posts, I can buy columns or make some built up posts easy enough with Azek. Other ideas are welcome.

Thanks,
Dan

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
John Hyatt

Trade: out door areas, decks,spa room additions,fire pits
Rewards Points: 2,516

Re: Dimensional PVC Or Composite Lumber

You might check out www.mrdeck.com the Robert builds with and sales plastic lumber. Its a total Hoot site. J.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:43 PM   #3
Pro

Rewards Points: 2,082

I don't think composite will work for a pergola except for 2x2's. There are some solid vinyl boards that would work, put super costly.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 2,364

I wish mr deck would join this site. I bet he'd have a cool avatar, and post those silly cartoons all over the forum
Old 02-25-2008, 10:00 PM   #5
Custom Fence Builder

Trade: Fence Manufacture and Installation
Rewards Points: 500

Gotta love this testimonial -

Quote:
I was fully aware of the quality of Mr. Deck's work and designs from his portfolio, but amazement is the word that best describes my reaction to the finished product that Mr. Deck built for me. I can unequivocally say the same for the reaction of my guests.

I was not prepared for how fantastic the completed deck would actually look. The solid-plastic lumber has textures and color variations that make you think when you first see it that it is actually wood! At night the low-voltage lighting actually enhances this effect.

My deck has been in constant use since it was completed in late August "02. When I have guests over I deliberately make no mention of plastic. Only after they have been on the deck for awhile do they get the sense that "Hey, this isn't wood"! That's been the reaction among the majority of my friends who hadn't already seen the deck being built.

Two of the biggest reasons I chose to go with this plastic material were looks and upkeep. Besides the beautiful appearance, the maintenance for me is minimal -- grease, wine, bird droppings, all wash off easily without leaving any stain. The chlorinated hot tub water doesn't discolor the planking either like it would if my new deck were planked with customary redwood.

It is a great relief to know that I don't have to seal and stain it every year just to keep it looking nice.

This plastic deck has truly been an enhancement to the comfort of my house, not to mention the sustainable value-added. The premium I paid was well worth it.

http://www.mrdeck.com/plank.html
How much ad copy can you cram into a single testimonial? Mr. Deck knows!

Man, his decks and pergolas are shiny.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:17 PM   #6
John Hyatt

You just have to love the Guy,,,Robert was in on the ground floor of The Deck business, the way he went beyond the pale taking no prisoners in your face with a grin and projects that get into the Green&Green area .....on acid.

J.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:43 AM   #7
Founder GardenStructure

Trade: Decks, Pergolas, Design and Construction.
Rewards Points: 10

Guys

Not Structural Materials

Won't take wind-- Can't warranty and should be more concerned with your reputation after it falls down.

I'd love to play with it, but the composite companies would have to pay for the research and development.

BTW, Robert is a hoot... he is a real eccentric...he suggested we partner many years ago. He's got to be a bit long in the tooth by now. Sure has a sense of humor though. Did you guys read the section where he critiques designs?

L
Old 03-03-2008, 11:47 AM   #8

Trade: fence and deck supplier
Rewards Points: 25

You could use vinyl sleeves. 2x6 & 2x8 sleeves should readily be available. You can sleeve treated wood with these profiles. You get the strength of the wood, and the low maintenance of the vinyl. I would post a few pictures, but I don't know how.
Mark
Old 03-03-2008, 03:23 PM   #9

I think I figured it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Dimensional PVC or Composite Lumber-small-pics-003.jpg   Dimensional PVC or Composite Lumber-small-058.jpg  
Old 03-03-2008, 06:21 PM   #10
John Hyatt

That was fast. J.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:48 AM   #11
Pro

Rewards Points: 250

I could use a kit, but I just hate the look of those end caps where you can see the seem like the one in the pics you posted. Plus I like having the freedom to do anything you want with the design, even the end profiles.

I did find a place on line that sells this stuff. Even structural memebers that are reinforced with chopped fiberglass. www.plasticlumberyard.com. Stuff ain't cheap though, then you have freight too.

I was also thinking of looking at Azek. Their 1 1/4" thick stuff. Not sure how it would hold up as far as sagging goes over time. Looking at spanning close to 10' with it.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:04 PM   #12

Those are not kits. Although I could make you a kit if you would like.
Vinyl does have its limitations. It has a nice clean look and little maintenance. It however has limited colors usually white and some sort of tan. There are only a few choices for end caps. The ends must be capped because it is hollow. You are also limited in length, most profiles only come 16' long. It looks real nice in the right situation, but would look out a place in others.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #13
Managing Partner

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 10

Hey MAW....can you get me some spec's? I may want to buy a kit from you, shipped to KC...16 x 18....add sun slats on the top (use 1x3?)
How do you do the fancy ends?