Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deck Building Steps

14K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  BuiltByMAC 
#1 ·
Guys, need your expert input. I'm writing up an article for building a deck. Problem is, I've never built one myself 8) This will be the first of four articles in this series. What am I missing? I'm sure I messed a whole bunch of stuff up and left steps out. Would really appreciate your help!

Build a Wood Deck in 4 Simple Steps

Step 1 – Post Digging Party

You know you want it. A place to lounge in the sun, host an outdoor summer bash or simply sit and catch your breath is just what you need. All of that can be waiting outside the patio door if you tackled the plan to build a wood deck.
It can’t be too difficult, right? With the right tools, a few afternoons of work and at least one extra set of hands it won’t be. Your brand new, well built deck will sit proudly in your yard waiting for the kick off BBQ to start.

Building a deck is simple with only 4 basic steps.
· Decking
· Railing and other features

Don’t get too excited. Within those four steps are a list of tiny, baby steps and big hurdles to get over. Sounds like a challenge and DIY folks are always up for a challenge.

Throw a Post Digging Party
Here’s where you can stretch those muscles and get involved in some hard labor. Mark your post holes ahead of time with paint or stakes and string. Also, give the local utilities a call to locate the phone, cable, gas and electrical lines underground. Stay safe (and keep the cable TV on).

Depending on your grade and the deck’s height off the ground, you may need to excavate or level the grade. Do what you need to do and remember that treated wood can be safely sunk in the ground.

Dig your post holes about 48” deep and bell out the bottom for more stability and protection against frost heaving.

You can either extend 4x4 or 6x6 posts out of the ground and attach directly to the frame or pour a concrete pier (that’s essentially a hole filled with concrete and providing a flat surface on top). Each method requires different hardware.
For extended posts you’ll need a 3/8” x 3 ½” wood lag to attach the framing. Use an impact driver to get the lag in with speed and accuracy. Carriage bolts (3/8” x 7”) are another possibility and work well with wood. Pre-drill your hole and set the nut tight to keep it all firm and strong.

With concrete piers you’ll need to bolt a post saddle into the concrete and attach a 4x4 with lags or carriage bolts to the saddle.

Benefits and drawbacks of either method?

Piers and saddles are good for the DIY crowd and you can get away with shorter 4x4’s or 6x6’s. Don’t skimp on the hole depth or you’ll end up with a crooked deck come spring.

Extended 4x4 or 6x6 posts are simple to install in the hole with poured concrete around them. Make sure you let the concrete set properly and use a string line to get the posts in the right locations. Don’t forget to get that level and check the posts.
Mix the concrete in a wheelbarrow or rent a cement mixer for larger jobs. This is grunt work, so draw straws. For fast simple and fast results use quick setting concrete or a specialty fence/deck post mix. You’ll need access to a nearby hose as well.

Fasteners should be 18-8 stainless steel although some contractors use hot dipped galvanized to cut costs. In coastal marine or wet environments, opt for 316 stainless for your best protection.

Next step? Framing, but have a drink and rest. Those posts need to set and get ready to be worked on.

See less See more
#3 ·
Guys, need your expert input. I'm writing up an article for building a deck. Problem is, I've never built one myself 8) This will be the first of four articles in this series. What am I missing? I'm sure I messed a whole bunch of stuff up and left steps out. Would really appreciate your help!
Are you serious? Why the hell would you write a 4 volume article on it?

#10 ·
Funny you should post this because I am writing an article and I need some help too.....

It's about liver transplants...Problem is I've never done one before.....:blink:

Anyone got any pointers?I'm all ears....:laughing:

#16 ·
Hmm let me see if I have this Right

Assist in Helping Home Owners to Do their Own Deck that might not comply with State and Or Local Building Codes.

Assist in Putting All Deck Builders On this site > out of Business.

Sure I'll Help..............................Call a Licensed and Insured Contractor, Problem Solved.

Now I have a Question for you - How do you become a GC without this Basic knowledge??

You might be helping this to happen to the Next Deck Build..
1. Get Lumber
2. Get frinds
3. Get Beer
4. Pizza
7.Have a Party On your new deck:thumbsup:

Attachments

#20 ·
putting post in the hole and concrete around it .. this is a deck not a fence post .. what happens when the treated lumber dries out and shrinks leaving nice big gaps for water to go in a n freeze .. sounds like failure to me .. use sonotubes and pour concrete and pin it .. the whole reason is to avoid the heaving not aid to it ... then use post brackets that are tied to the pins that were installed in concrete .. post with headers .. with galvinized carriage bolts to help carry the wiight .. frame as usual 16 '' ON CENTER ..bolting properly to existing sill plate .. with various 5 quarter decking that is desired ... and rails to be installed to local building codes .. spindels here are 4 in on center .. seems to me alot of these basic skills have been over looked ... you wanna write a story call a local deck builder/contractor and work with him for a job and then write what you see and done properly .. by far not a 4 step proccess ,, ps good luck explaining how to build stairs ..

#22 ·

Uhmm, not even sure what to say to a question like this. I guess there is really nothing to add to what has already been said except maybe the guys around here have long memories:laughing:

Good luck and hope your insured. In today litigious society, your going to need it.

#23 · (Edited)
Come on guys. What a roasting! Lets help this guy. Stairs are not that bad. You have a few options...

1). Find an article on how to build stairs.

2). Buy a book on how to build stairs.

3). Go to Home Depot and buy precut stair stringers.
3a) Cut them to the proper height and put boards on until you can't put anymore on. That always looks sexy.

4). Pay a contractor/deck builder to instruct you on how to build stairs.

5). Get milk crates and stack them until you can walk up them.

6). Build a ground level deck with no stairs.
6a) If back door is too high off the ground, build as low to the ground as possible and use a ladder.
6b) Teach the dog to walk down ladder.

7). Start a trend, buy an elevator.

8). Escalator...that would be cool.

9). Cut the opening in the railing you would like for access (I recommend 4' width). Lay a gym mat at ground level (the higher the deck the thicker the mat) and learn how to tumble.

10). Instead of posts, put in actuators and you can raise and lower the deck with the flick of a switch.

You know the funny part is, is that I actually have had an interest in writing...haha

#24 ·
Come on guys. What a roasting! Lets help this guy. Stairs are not that bad. You have a few options...

1). Find an article on how to build stairs.
2). Buy a book on how to build stairs. Pick a good one. Half of them may have been written by someone who has never built a deck
3). Go to Home Depot and buy precut stair stringers. And then build the deck to the stairs:thumbsup: No more than 3/8 variance:laughing:
3a) Cut them to the proper height and put boards on until you can't put anymore on. That always looks sexy.
4). Pay a contractor/deck builder to instruct you on how to build stairs.
5). Get milk crates and stack them until you can walk up them.
6). Build a deck with no stairs.
3a) If back door is too high off the ground, build as low to the ground as possible and use a ladder.
3b) Teach the dog to walk down ladder.
7). Start a trend, buy an elevator.
8). Escalator...that would be cool.
9). Cut the opening in the railing you would like for access (I recommend 4' width). Lay a gym mat at ground level (the higher the deck the thicker the mat) and learn how to tumble.
10). Instead of posts, put in actuators and you can raise and lower the deck with the flick of a switch. I like this one the best:thumbup:

You know the funny part is, is that I actually have had an interest in writing...haha
How many time have you ran across a deck or porch where you could legally use the pre-cut stringers? What is the rise and run on them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.