CorrectDeck Complaints?

Old 04-23-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
Remodeling Professionals

Trade: Remodeling Contractor

CorrectDeck Complaints?

I just googled correctdeck and several complaints sites came up. Any deck builders here have problems in the past with cd's original decking? From what I'm reading their customer service is horrible if you have any warranty issues so this might be why my local lumberyard is dropping them from it's lineup. I'd like to know how the new CX compares. I REALLY don't want to sell this customer a deck that will give them problems next year.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-23-2008, 09:54 PM   #2

Trade: Home Improvement Contractor

Re: CorrectDeck Complaints?

yeah i just found out that dubells up here in medford is no longer carrying it -- i asked why and didn't get a good answer though it worked for me because it was on sale and i just sold a correctdeck. was able to get the materials about 25% off.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:21 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder

CX is far better then the original. The original is still FAR better than trex, weatherbest, or veranda. But CX is the best so far. It really is a great product. Most people get tired of hearing me rant so find out for yourself. Get some sample pieces and toss them in your backyard for a while. See how they hold up.

I have never had a problem with customer service... But then again I have only needed it a couple of times. And the problem was with the supplier not the manufacture.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #4
Pro

Also keep in mind when a homeowner complains the severity of it is always amplified. If you were seeing lots of complaints from contractors that would be different. Whenver I see a homeowner complain I always think in my mind its probably about half as bad as they are telling it. And usually that is true.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:03 AM   #5
Remodeling Professionals

Trade: Remodeling Contractor

Robert, take a couple minutes and read through....

http://www.bobvila.com/BBS/Correct_D...io-2-F260.html

I'm wondering if no one at DuBell is allowed to tell us why they are dropping CD, since constrkings got the same answer I did-none.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:37 AM   #6
Pro

While I did not read every response or even look through every page. And if you look at the QTY of the posts it looks like a lot of complaints. But There are a couple of people that are posting again and again saying the same thing. I am still not worried as I have seen the EXACT same thing said about nearly EVERY composite product out there. If its not then is eon and they have an entire differant set of problems.
http://www.bobvila.com/wwwboard/messages/229250.html Same board but a thread about trex.

And really the CX has held up just fine with no problems.

Marty, can you snap a pic of some CX that has been exposed to weather for awhile and post it here? My oldest is about a year old with CX. Got anything from when it first came out?
Old 04-24-2008, 09:19 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Deck guy

I read through all 20 pages of posts this morning. Yes, Robert, I realize for you, CX is the cat's ass, and I knew this thread's title would have you up in arms! What I'm concerned about after reading those posts is the lack of response from the company in regards to CorrectDeck original. You've got a bunch of homeowners all complaining about the same problems that TREX has - mold/mildew spots and tons of maintenance. There are a couple of pics posted that yeah, the decks look like crap.

A class action lawsuit is bad for business. If those guys ever pull their heads out and figure out how to start one, CorrectDeck could be in the same boat as TREX. I would think the company should be treating this situation differently.

Hey Marty, did you get a chance to look over that thread? Any thoughts?

Mac
Old 04-24-2008, 09:59 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor/Helical Post Installer

My parents have Trex, they have had it for 7 years? and have had no problems and it is less maint. than a PT deck. I keep reading about all these problems with Trex, what are they?
Old 04-24-2008, 10:33 AM   #9
John Hyatt

Trade: out door areas, decks,spa room additions,fire pits

Its a common thing for every 200 composite customers there are 4 or 5 that cant figure out what all the fuss is about. I think it depends on the define of faliure. Some Folks just dont see or care about black mold coming from inside the product to them it looks just fine.

I have been out on several bids where the decking looks like a cross between an ocean wave and a trampaline, The work involved puting another coat of Finish on!!! They just dont see it. J.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:47 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Deck Builder

John, maybe only 4-5 Trex customers actually get a good product, either way Trex sucks.

Mac, I had about the same line of thought as you did. If Correctdeck is not standing by their 1st product & addressing customer complaints will they if problems occur with their CX line? I asked my local supplier why they don't carry Correctdeck. No sooner then the words were out of my mouth, he said "too many problems".
Old 04-26-2008, 09:16 AM   #11
Composite Decking Mfr

Trade: Manufacturer of Composite Decking, LEED AP

Guys, the issue of mildew is tough. We work really hard to help with the issue when we can, providing suggestions, help, and support. I feel we go above and beyond, but I do understand that the customers feel frustrated by the need to clean their decks more than they had hoped or expected.
However we have always been careful to communicate that need, for periodic cleaning, to our customers. Note that mildew spots on pavers, patios, siding, decks, etc are an aesthetic issue that doesn't harm the product. This recent article provides pretty good perspective on the issue:
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...ON03/804190362

There are more and more good mildew inhibitors coming on the market for all types of outdoor surfaces, including decks, which is good news. We don't make these products but are happy when they are out there and work, and chagrined to get blamed when they don't. I do have to say, I have spoken personally to one of the posters on that thread on Thanksgiving Day. If you can get the president of the company on the phone on Thanksgiving Day, I feel a little frustrated to be accused of poor customer service. I know all of you, same as us, take great pride in your work and probably have had similar customer experiences. But we will keep doing all we can to improve the situation as far as the amount of upkeep required on these older decks, especially based on the concerns noted above, to come closer to meeting customer's expectations. Also note that the CX product, which contains Microban antimicrobial and has little/no exposed wood fiber, requires far less cleaning (but everything needs occasional cleaning to look spotless outside).
Marty
Old 04-26-2008, 10:22 AM   #12
Pro

Always nice to hear "the other side of the story," thanks Marty. Would've been nice if they would've updated that thread to include the followup you gave on Turkey Day. Maybe one of your sales reps/claims adjusters could pop in to that thread and see what feathers could be soothed...or not. I know nothing about running a company the size of CD, I just hear "class action lawsuit" and think it's a bad thing...

I just don't see the mildew build-up on other outdoor products, though. Not nearly as much as I've seen on composite deck boards. Personal case in point...I put down a TREX Contours deck on the back of my own house last year. Before that, there had been a 3 yr. old cedar deck which had been stained once in three years (right after it was installed). I've had no mildew/mold/moss on my siding, front concrete or the cedar deck at all during that time (house is only 4 years old). Now, after being down for 8 months, my deck has got lil' black spots over half of it (under tree canopy). I haven't rented a pressure washer yet and haven't hit it with cleaner but the spots don't rub out with water and moderate scrubbing (I tried a patch).

I realize that my experience is not with CD original, but based on pictures I've seen, posts by owners and speaking with sales reps (TREX and TimberTech), composite boards are much more susceptible to acquiring mildew/mold junk than other outdoor products...

I think the thing that gets most people's panties in such a knot is the advertising "hot point" of "Low Maintenance." Composites have a different set of benefits (no splinters, no staining, no warping-compared to pt) but they also have their own set of maintenance issues (cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning).

Mac
Old 04-26-2008, 10:59 AM   #13
Pro

I dont know if any of you other builders have ever had a problem customer. But NOTHING in the world makes them happy unless it is done over COMPLETELY from scratch. (I never had one relating to decks) I had a few minor people that were difficult to please but we did end up coming to agreements.

A certain percentage does need to be blamed on the manufacturing company but I think more needs to be blamed on salespeople from deck builders, lumberyards, homecenters. I have personally over heard sales people in home centers and lumber yards saying " Trex is great you put it down once and never touch it again" Even the company literature does not say that. So the homeowner hears this over and over again and then when they actually READ the company's info they are mad.

I had the TT rep tell me a story about how a homeowner wanted her entire decking replaced before it was even completed because her dogs scratched the decking before it was done. She let the dogs out to play on it. The TT rep told her that scratches are a part of life and there is no warranty. She insisted that once the deck was "hers" she would worry about it. But as long as it was still under construction it was TT's and the contractors and she was paying for a completed perfect product. He said they caved and replaced the deck boards.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:50 AM   #14
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltByMAC View Post
during that time (house is only 4 years old). Now, after being down for 8 months, my deck has got lil' black spots over half of it (under tree canopy). I haven't rented a pressure washer yet and haven't hit it with cleaner but the spots don't rub out with water and moderate scrubbing (I tried a patch).

Mac
Mac, my understanding is that the pressure washers can expose more of the wood and create more problems (bleeding). I would check with some of the power washing guys to see what they use for a no pressure cleaner.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:29 PM   #15
Pro

Good call, although the boards should be able to deal with a 3500 psi washer sending 3-4 gpm through a 15║-20║ angled spray head that's moving back and forth 1' - 2' above the surface. Just something to knock the accumulated crap out of the deep grooves...
there is a certain art to pressure washing - too many people think "I'll get that cheap one and I'll be fine." Unfortunately, low psi/gpm washers have a much intense "cutting" spray than a higher ones - so going cheap will ruin your deck...

One of the reasons we went with Contours is because it had the deepest embossed grain out there and the wife liked the look (and I could get it at a discount and I wanted some first-hand experience with composites and subsequent care). 'Course now I find those deep grooves are perfect for storing dirt and pollen and other assorted particles!

I'll do my homework on cleaning the stuff before I go and invalidate the warranty! We've been having a typical OR spring here (lots and lots of rain) so hangin' out on the deck hasn't been a top priority....yet.

Robert, I've never had a customer like you described. I've only had one where I had to get aggressive about picking up the final payment. I agree that advice given by salespeople is not necessarily always in the best interest of the HO - sometimes it's in the best interest of the salesperson's own pocket. If by telling a customer that composite decking is perfect and no maintenance, they can upgrade a sale and increase their commission, many will do just that.

That's why it's up to us to educate our own clients (and not let them buy their own material)! At the initial meeting, I explain what maintenance issues they're looking at with the different products. I have had some ask me, "Isn't that Trek no maintenance?" (They never get the name right!) I say, "No, composites have their own maintenance schedule, just like most outdoor products." I push the no splinter,no staining aspects much more than the low maintenance aspect.

Mac