Cedar Deck Sealer - Ready Seal Vs One Time - Decks & Fencing - Contractor Talk

Cedar Deck Sealer - Ready Seal Vs One Time

Old 05-21-2009, 10:17 PM   #1

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 10

Cedar Deck Sealer - Ready Seal Vs One Time

A client has asked me to use One Time sealer on a new cedar deck we're building. Any thoughts on One Time vs Ready Seal? Any other suggestions on favorite sealers? I told the clients that there's no way the One Time will last 7 years like they claim. They say they don't care if they have to reseal more often, they just want something easily restored down the road and they've heard this stuff is. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-22-2009, 06:17 AM   #2
John Hyatt

Trade: out door areas, decks,spa room additions,fire pits
Rewards Points: 3,910

Re: Cedar Deck Sealer - Ready Seal Vs One Time

This same guy posted on garden web posing as a ho. Your basic sales rep. J.

Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 02:26 AM   #3

Trade: designer/builder
Question

I certainly don't want any sales pitch from anyone with a vested interest, but I am very very curious how One Time works chemically in the wood over time. It's apparently a pure acrylate like crazy glue, not the usual bucket of solvent that evaporates leaving a residue of petroleum goo in the wood. I've been trying some test samples but it's too early to start foisting it on clients until I know more.

Since I also build boats in my spare time, I'm wondering if it would also work as a good sealer on a laid cypress deck with polysulfide-caulked seams.
The Following User Says Thank You to Whipsaw For This Useful Post:
Dylan G (05-15-2016)

Old 10-07-2009, 02:39 AM   #4

Trade: designer/builder

Also on this mythical "one time" sealer subject, the other new type of wood sealer that seems worth having an informed discussion about is Creto (see creto.net) which they claim is some sort of UV-cured "aero-silica gel membrane". What does that really mean?
Old 10-07-2009, 07:26 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 6,994

I think the next sealer getting folks attention will be "Wood Protect". It seemed to do well on my test piece of ipe so I tried it out on a small ipe deck. I'll be using it on a tigerwood deck a couple decks down the road. It's very different than any sealer I've used before, looks like milk & has no strong smell, dries clear in only a few minutes. Only bad thing is 87.00 a gallon.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
John Hyatt

Trade: out door areas, decks,spa room additions,fire pits
Rewards Points: 3,910

Yo All, I have a couple samples of the WP out back as well,one with the milk one with a gray tint that came out kinda brown on ipe.

Its only been a few months but so far no silver coming thru, also I have right next to them a few with twp water base same results.

One thing I noticed they both set up real fast,that could be a problem on anything larger than the little test shorts. J.

Advertisement