Wiring Shop Lights.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
New Guy

Rewards Points: 25

Wiring Shop Lights.

I'm planning on installing 8 4' fluorescent strip lights in my 18X20 shop with 8' finished ceilings. The strip lights are the budget type from Walmart with plugs. I was initially planning to install 8 outlets in the ceiling, one for each of the fixtures but was hoping to achieve a cleaner look. The 5 foot cords for each of the lights are some what bulky and was wondering what my options were. Is there anyway of safely hardwiring the fixtures by cutting off the plug and running the cord it into the ceiling through a hole? All the lights will run off a dedicated circuit with a 20amp breaker.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-10-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
Electrical Apprentice

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Wiring Shop Lights.

Do you have access to above the lights or are you stuck with doing somehting on the surface.

If you can get above I would cut the cord end off or take it off and toss it out. Make a hole in the top of the fixture for your connector then make a hole in your ceiling that is big enough to fit the connector in. Drop a wire through the hole into the connector. Lift the fixture up and no wire or connector to be seen.

Advertisement

Old 04-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
Service & Repairs

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 2,002

If you alter the light fixture by eliminating the male cord end supplied with the fixture, you automatically void any warranty that comes with the fixture. Plus you violate NEC article 110.3(B). Either get new fixtures or install duplex receptacles in the ceiling.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnettica View Post
Either get new fixtures or install duplex receptacles in the ceiling.
BINGO!
Those fixtures ARE NOT meant to be hard wired. Period.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
New Guy

I do have access to above the lights through the attic.

On NEC article 110.3(B), would I still be violating it if I called the manufacturer of the fixture and was told it was okay to cut the plug off the cord for hardwiring?
Old 04-10-2008, 05:02 PM   #6
Head Grunt

Trade: Electrical Contractor&Home Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,124

If the cord could be disconnected "though most unlikely by design" and hardwired then i would run EMT between the lights and the end light plugging into a switched ceiling rec or just hardwire the whole circuit with no rec. I think it would be worth you time to spend a little more money on a better quality light anyway. That cheap junk will start humming in a few months and certainly doesnt like the cold.

Last edited by woodchuck2; 04-10-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #7
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck2 View Post
If the cord could be disconnected "though most unlikely by design" and hardwired then i would run EMT between the lights and the end light plugging into a switched ceiling rec or just hardwire the whole circuit with no rec. I think it would be worth you time to spend a little more money on a better quality light anyway. That cheap junk will start humming in a few months and certainly doesnt like the cold.
Sorry, what's an EMT?
Old 04-10-2008, 05:35 PM   #8

Trade: Tradesman / Electrician
Rewards Points: 75

Return the lights go to a big box store get some cheep ones, then call your electrician to wire them up for you. IF you have access above this ceiling the installation should be fast and easy as well as low cost. It will be a much cleaner look.

? How were you planning on controling these lights with the way you were going to install them?

I would have your electrician do them to best suit the lay out, however i would consider having one wired up to be used as a night light if your shop has this need.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:38 PM   #9
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.s View Post
On NEC article 110.3(B), would I still be violating it if I called the manufacturer of the fixture and was told it was okay to cut the plug off the cord for hardwiring?
Yes, becasuse the flexible cord would be used as permanent wiring, which is another NEC violation. You only have two safe choices. Install a receptacle for each fixture or get the proper fixtures intended to be hardwired.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:50 PM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.s View Post
Sorry, what's an EMT?
OR better yet hire a pro to hang the new lights!

Old 04-10-2008, 05:53 PM   #11
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
? How were you planning on controling these lights with the way you were going to install them?
There are already existing lights with a switch that these will be replacing.

But I get the point, I guess I'll be changing the fixtures and calling my local electrician.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: carpenter/ handyman
Rewards Points: 1,000

Forget those cheap shop lights with the cheesy magnetic ballasts! Recently, I bought a 4' shop light from Lowes with an electronic ballast that uses T-8 bulbs. Much, much better & for only $17. Just try to buy the ballast alone for that price!
Steve
Old 04-10-2008, 10:25 PM   #13
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp57 View Post
Forget those cheap shop lights with the cheesy magnetic ballasts! Recently, I bought a 4' shop light from Lowes with an electronic ballast that uses T-8 bulbs. Much, much better & for only $17. Just try to buy the ballast alone for that price!
Steve
Best of luck with that one. I'm not psychic, but I'd be willing to bet that it either had a "Wuxi Heng Fen" or "Pacific Electric" brand ballast in it. In a short time, you will be buying new ballasts. I don't expect you to take my word on it, but when they fail, think back to when you read this.

A magnetic ballast is not cheesy. They always did, and always will, have a longer life than the electronic counterparts. Everything's moving to the electronic ballasts, so our hand is sort of forced for the most part.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:01 PM   #14
New Guy

Trade: Prime Power and Electric, Inc.
Rewards Points: 10

md,
Was that you I saw sneaking some electricity out in the barn or just the glow of your candles?
Old 04-10-2008, 11:17 PM   #15
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezwitinc View Post
md,
Was that you I saw sneaking some electricity out in the barn or just the glow of your candles?
He IS NOT Amish. Although one can never be sure by his AVATAR!

Advertisement

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE