Wiring A Barn:

Old 08-03-2009, 03:16 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Contractor, Trim Dude, and Custom Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 250

Wiring A Barn:

Okay guys, question. I am a contractor(really a carpenter with a license) and need to wire a barn that I built for my grandparents. This barn is used for storage and workshop, not horses etc. What would you guys suggest I use as far as type of wire and also how high would you set your receptacles and how far apart would you space them? The barn size is 24x36 with 3 stall doors across the back, double doors centered on the front, and one 12' sliding door on either end. I plan on putting one gooseneck fixture above each stall door, for a total of 3. Also plan to put 3 recessed lights in the overhang on the front of the barn, as well as workshop lights and one exhaust fan on the interior.....along with receptacles.

Thanks in advance!!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-03-2009, 06:15 AM   #2
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 2,440

Re: Wiring A Barn:

If it were me, I would get my electrician to stop in and go over everything with me. Get all the necessary info about where to put things that code requires and how to run wires. etc. At the very least I would think the wiring should be in galv. surface mounted conduit and plugs should be gfi's if a horse could get near them.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
#1 stunner

Trade: Design/Build
Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Static Design

Are you paying consulting fees? if so I can send my paypal address.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
Service & Repairs

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 2,000

You may want to consult an electrician and the building department for this job because wiring an agriculture building even though it isn't used for horses etc, has special wiring methods that need to be followed. For instance, romex is NOT one of the wiring methods you can use. There are several but type MC Cable and UF are probably what you're gonna use.

NEC Article 547
Old 08-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Constructioneer; LEED AP BD+C
Rewards Points: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVELBEST View Post
Okay guys, question. I am a contractor(really a carpenter with a license) and need to wire a barn that I built for my grandparents. This barn is used for storage and workshop, not horses etc. What would you guys suggest I use as far as type of wire and also how high would you set your receptacles and how far apart would you space them? The barn size is 24x36 with 3 stall doors across the back, double doors centered on the front, and one 12' sliding door on either end. I plan on putting one gooseneck fixture above each stall door, for a total of 3. Also plan to put 3 recessed lights in the overhang on the front of the barn, as well as workshop lights and one exhaust fan on the interior.....along with receptacles.

Thanks in advance!!
I'd go to the Library or buy a book, I don't think you're going to get an overwhelming amount of info here.

Last edited by rustyjames; 08-03-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
Sparky

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

I have been doing agricultural electrical work for YEARS. Are you doing a barn or a shop? Is there any animal feed nearby where mice like to hangout? This has a bearing on types of wire you can use. Most BARNS are done in PVC conduit with T90, or RW90 .
Old 08-03-2009, 06:32 PM   #7
Head Grunt

Trade: Electrical Contractor&Home Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnettica View Post
You may want to consult an electrician and the building department for this job because wiring an agriculture building even though it isn't used for horses etc, has special wiring methods that need to be followed. For instance, romex is NOT one of the wiring methods you can use. There are several but type MC Cable and UF are probably what you're gonna use.

NEC Article 547
X2, i would use MC or EMT. If there is any possible chance of wire damge due to rodents or machinery then i wouldnt bother with UF. Just because there wont be any livestock inside doesnt mean the critters wont come in.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #8
ampman

Trade: providing pathways for electrons and protons

do yourself and your family a favor and call an electrician
Old 08-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
Project Manager HFH..

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,004

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVELBEST View Post

Thanks in advance!!
How many horses?

Call a sparky....
Old 08-04-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
Pro

A person who has the talent to erect a building typically has the talent to run some wires in a little shop. It's not like he's going into it blind, he merely asked for a few pointers.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #11
Where's my coffee?

Trade: General Contracting - A/V Integration
Rewards Points: 75

I would go EMT if it is going to be exposed.

Don't use cowboys... if any animals are ever to be inside they will get hurt on these little devils. Keep it tight to the framing using two hole clamps. Use this as an excuse to buy a bender!

Please, if you can, have an electrican buddy check everything as you go. Then hire him do the panel and finals. You will need his approval for passing.

Dave
Old 08-04-2009, 11:37 PM   #12
Service & Repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanerEnterprise View Post
I would go EMT if it is going to be exposed.

Don't use cowboys... if any animals are ever to be inside they will get hurt on these little devils. Keep it tight to the framing using two hole clamps. Use this as an excuse to buy a bender!

Please, if you can, have an electrican buddy check everything as you go. Then hire him do the panel and finals. You will need his approval for passing.

Dave

And if this electrician's any good he'll tell you that using EMT is NOT one of the wiring methods listed in article 547.

Hey James I run a few lines here and there does that qualify me to build an entire building?

You guys crack me up, as if wiring is some sort of hobby.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:25 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: scab

Did someone forget rigid conduit?
Old 08-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #14
Pro

Quote: "You guys crack me up, as if wiring is some sort of hobby. "

Some of you guys crack me up, as if running some wires for a couple receptacles and lights was rocket science. FYI check out the DIY site, there's tons of posts about homeowners doing a lot more than what this CONTRACTOR wants to do.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:16 AM   #15
Sparky

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyjames View Post

Some of you guys crack me up, as if running some wires for a couple receptacles and lights was rocket science. FYI check out the DIY site, there's tons of posts about homeowners doing a lot more than what this CONTRACTOR wants to do.
If I had $75.00 an hour for every time I had had to go fix something electrical in a house that was done by a framer or plumber, I'd be a happy man.
P.S.
I am one of the happiest men on the planet. Thanks framers
Old 08-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #16
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed
Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via ICQ to A W Smith

A Barn? Knob and tube of course!
Old 08-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: remodeling and restorations

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Smith View Post
A Barn? Knob and tube of course!
Society for the historical preservation of fire hazards...

thats funny right there

Old 08-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #18
Service & Repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyjames View Post

That doesn't mean that half of them aren't idiots you know.

I could build 4k square foot house on the weekends including the roof, plumbing, HVAC, sheetrock... all a piece a cake. I have a hammer, a plunger, and some tin snips. What else could I possibly need?

Besides that, so what if he's a CONTRACTOR. I'm a contractor, an ELECTRICAL CONTRACTOR.

And what is a contractor?

Someone who sells contracts!

Last edited by Magnettica; 08-05-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:58 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Contractor, Trim Dude, and Custom Cabinet Maker

Okay smart asses..............here was my plan....perhaps you can just let me know if this is okay per your expertise. I planned on putting all the switches and outlets at the same height, that way they will all be above the top of the eventual work benches that may go there. I also planned to run conduit from each box up thru the top plate of the walls, then just run the romex from there to the panel. Does that sound good?

Btw, my county doesn't call for anything other than romex, no conduit at all. The reason I asked was bc I wanted to do it the BEST way, not just the easiest way. As for the smartass that said something about framers, etc wiring and him making money off of it.........well it doesn't take a genious to pull wire.....and that is the hardest part of the job when wiring something as simple as a barn ain't it? JK man. Thanks to those who had a serious response.

I understand you guys not wanting to help the DIY guys.......but come on....lighten up on a fellow blue collar construction dude.........
Old 08-06-2009, 08:37 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: scab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnettica View Post
That doesn't mean that half of them aren't idiots you know.

I could build 4k square foot house on the weekends including the roof, plumbing, HVAC, sheetrock... all a piece a cake. I have a hammer, a plunger, and some tin snips. What else could I possibly need?

Besides that, so what if he's a CONTRACTOR. I'm a contractor, an ELECTRICAL CONTRACTOR.

And what is a contractor?

Someone who sells contracts!
umm... that is funny coming from a guy with magnets on a workvan... you can be a plumber in 40 seconds with the flip of a magnet..