Video About Basic Electricity

Old 12-23-2006, 07:06 PM   #1
NEC Consultant

Trade: NEC Consultant & Instructor since 1969
Rewards Points: 75

Video About Basic Electricity

Removed too large

Last edited by JoeTedesco; 12-30-2006 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Removed

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-23-2006, 07:25 PM   #2

Re: Video About Basic Electricity

Hey could some one download the video and send it to me in a email? I am on dailup and it takes FOREVER to load. My Email is JmBspudguns@aol.com

Thank you

Advertisement

Old 12-23-2006, 08:53 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Security Alarm Installer (Low Voltage)
Rewards Points: 938

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsNap View Post
Hey could some one download the video and send it to me in a email? I am on dailup and it takes FOREVER to load. My Email is JmBspudguns@aol.com

Thank you
IF it could be downloaded and attached to an email (the size of which would be more that most IP's would allow) why would you think it would be any faster to download????

Think same - same.

Some things are not made for dial-up any more. Sorry for the bad news.

It is a funny clip.

Old 12-23-2006, 09:00 PM   #4

Why I dont know, I get pics and things faster from Email then on a web page.

Old 12-23-2006, 10:00 PM   #5
Union Electrician

Trade: Inside Wireman
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTedesco View Post
Sorry Joe, but "spedey Pete" posted the same link only a month ago.
In a thread named "why we are all here" or something like that

It is a video I very much enjoy so I watched it again
Old 12-23-2006, 10:46 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Security Alarm Installer (Low Voltage)
Rewards Points: 938

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsNap View Post
Why I dont know, I get pics and things faster from Email then on a web page.
Sorry to pop your bubble but the video is over 5 minutes of good quality video. Just a guess on my part the file may be over 15 megs or as much as 25 megs or more.

To split the difference at 20 meg consider how long it would take to DL at less than 56k on dialup.

An email with a picture or two may be 60k to 80k plus or minus depending upon the quality would not take that long on dialup.

You do the math. This video takes me about 2 1/2 minutes to download and buffer on a fairly fast Cable Modem.

In this day of broadband connections there are some things that are not practical for everyone to enjoy.

Again sorry....................................
Old 12-24-2006, 01:52 AM   #7
Union Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLE1 View Post
Sorry to pop your bubble but the video is over 5 minutes of good quality video. Just a guess on my part the file may be over 15 megs or as much as 25 megs or more.

To split the difference at 20 meg consider how long it would take to DL at less than 56k on dialup.

An email with a picture or two may be 60k to 80k plus or minus depending upon the quality would not take that long on dialup.

You do the math. This video takes me about 2 1/2 minutes to download and buffer on a fairly fast Cable Modem.

In this day of broadband connections there are some things that are not practical for everyone to enjoy.

Again sorry....................................
I think simply saying the file is too large would suffice
Old 12-24-2006, 06:42 AM   #8
NEC Consultant

Removed, was too large for download

Last edited by JoeTedesco; 12-30-2006 at 05:32 AM. Reason: link download too large
Old 12-24-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
Union Electrician

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAKuMZnpayY

Here's a replacement instead, and if it does work for you let's hear about the technical content!
I think I saw in another thread about an 08 proposed change that all circuits will be AFCI?

It is well established that GFCI's are the only device that offer personal protection, though AFCI's keeping your house from burning down may fall into those same lines.

The NEC, way back when, was first written by insurance company's to protect their investment, can it be concluded then that no one on the code panel is concerned with saving lives? By making GFCI's required for all household circuits? Or is the only concern when making a change to protect equipment?

I've also heard that when a code change comes to pass, the main contributing factor is the body count. Does this seem to hold true with anyone else?
Old 12-29-2006, 02:20 PM   #10
NEC Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Joe View Post
I think I saw in another thread about an 08 proposed change that all circuits will be AFCI?

It is well established that GFCI's are the only device that offer personal protection, though AFCI's keeping your house from burning down may fall into those same lines.

The NEC, way back when, was first written by insurance company's to protect their investment, can it be concluded then that no one on the code panel is concerned with saving lives? By making GFCI's required for all household circuits? Or is the only concern when making a change to protect equipment?

I've also heard that when a code change comes to pass, the main contributing factor is the body count. Does this seem to hold true with anyone else?
Please clarify your statement about the insurance companies writing the code?

" no one on the code panel ..." Shame on you! You should sit in at a CMP meeting, or say this at a meeting you would be laughed out of the room, please think about the comment you made and what it says!

PS: I found it necessary to delete the link above, sorry it discussed the used of a GFCI on ungrounded systems, nothing was mentioned about AFCI, that's another issue.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:06 PM   #11
Union Electrician

Quote:
Please clarify your statement about the insurance companies writing the code?

" no one on the code panel ..." Shame on you! You should sit in at a CMP meeting, or say this at a meeting you would be laughed out of the room, please think about the comment you made and what it says!

PS: I found it necessary to delete the link above, sorry it discussed the used of a GFCI on ungrounded systems, nothing was mentioned about AFCI, that's another issue.
Back in first year at school we learned how the code started.
In the beginning of electricians there was no set way of getting it done, buildings were burning down and thusly the code book started due to dollars being paid out for a new thing that wasn't yet governed.

In fact I heard to get a aproval to wire a bulding the "electrifer" would have to submit a 1 foot piece of wire that he intended use which may have been nothing more than some barb wire, uninsulated, that he was going to run exposed in the structure.

As far as the body count; explain why vending machines need to be GFI protected? perhaps somebody died?
Old 12-30-2006, 05:56 PM   #12
NEC Consultant

If you search at www.cpsc.gov for "vending machines" you will find the reasons for the rule. Research the proposal as well.

http://www.nybfu.org/history.htm

Look for my post somewhere on the net showing the First Electrical Code 1881 NYBFU

Last edited by JoeTedesco; 12-30-2006 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Links added
Old 12-30-2006, 06:07 PM   #13
Union Electrician

Quote:
If you search at www.cpsc.gov for "vending machines" you will find the reasons for the rule. Research the proposal as well.

http://www.nybfu.org/history.htm

Look for my post somewhere on the net showing the First Electrical Code 1881 NYBFU
Without having looked through your links, I heard it was a vending machine at a public swimming pool that had a faulty connection and injured or killed some poor kid.

I'll go through the links some other time possibly and may even do the suggested search. A small summation would be nice though.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:30 PM   #14
NEC Consultant

Lazy!! Look for yourself!

The CPSC link takes a minute, and the information on the many electrocutions is there.

Hearsay has no place here!
Old 12-30-2006, 06:36 PM   #15
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,002

Quote:
Yep, that about sums it up.

SparkyJoe, take a look around in that CPSC site. I've been poking around there for about the last 30 mintues. It's a treasure trove of information.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:48 PM   #16
Union Electrician

Quote:

The CPSC link takes a minute, and the information on the many electrocutions is there.

Hearsay has no place here!
I know your time is valuable, as I know you are a very busy person.

It's just that there are 10's of thousands of internet documents several pages long on every subject one can imagine.

The whole idea is to get to the root of the matter and obtain information quickly so it can be put to use in all of our busy lives.
I will read the links as soon as This Old House is over, but even if I came back and said "i read somewhere" wouldn't that still be hearsay.

I do agree and have found out in my short career(compared to others), that it's not a matter of what you know, but rather if you can find what you don't. But for conversation's sake it is nicer for the lazy people(like me at home) to casually read through and understand the whole story.

I don't intend to come off rude, but I don't think an old guy like you who has seen it all will take offense, and I apologize if I did.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:40 PM   #17
Union Electrician

Here's the link I found;
http://www.nfpa.org/categoryList.asp...ookie%5Ftest=1

The post you mentioned, was that from Mike Holt's forum in 2003?

The particular paragraph about how it all started, for those lazy like me reads;
The trepidation of the insurance industry in the face of Westinghouse’s untried and controversial application is understandable. As Merwin M. Brandon points out in The National Electrical Code and Free Enterprise, “In the absence of municipal and state electrical inspectors, the insurance companies, for their own protection, had to develop electrical inspection, and so did the electric utilities generating and distributing the electricity.” Thus the capital stock fire insurance people in Chicago hired William Henry Merrill, a Boston electrician, who later founded Underwriters Laboratories, to review the electrical wiring and exhibits at the fair. Merrill gave the installations the thumbs up......

Also something from another post from a long time ago about the NEC being published in Spanish; the first Spanish publication was in 1927
Old 12-31-2006, 04:21 PM   #18
NEC Consultant

No, here's the link I was referring too:

History 1881 NYBFU

I have the book mentioned in the NFPA article you identified, and as far as the Spanish version of the code, you can find out by calling 617-770-3000 and ask the Librarian.

I am aware of some very serious errors in the 1996 NEC Spanish version that were hard to believe, and were the reasons for many problems back then, and now I don't know, and have no need to know anyway since I cannot speak that language.

Advertisement