tags, as close as possible to the opening tag. Creation Date: 12/20/2017 -->

Thinking About An Electrician Apprenticeship

Old 11-15-2017, 12:15 AM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 58

Thinking About An Electrician Apprenticeship

Hey. So I posted another thread, and the answers I got were awesome, so if you all don't mind, I need to ask another. I'm a young kid with big dreams and I'd love to hear from the guys in the trades.

I'm considering an electrician apprenticeship. I believe that I would enjoy the work, I'd be good at the work, and I certainly have some of the aptitudes required (mechanical and mathematical, both of which I excelled at in school). I've looked into the local union apprenticeship and it's something that I'm very interested in. I just had one very important question that my decision pretty much hinges on:

What is the pace of the work like? Right now I'm painting with a friend, and we keep a pretty fast pace. We cruise right through projects. Sometimes it feels like I'm rushing. Same with a lot of the production based work I've done in the past. Work like your ass is on fire.

The idea of rushing myself while working with electricity is terrifying. God forbid I screw up, burn someone's house down, or electrocute myself to death. Forgive me if that's a stupid question, but given my production background, and the fact that I'm used to pushing the limits of my work speed, it's a legitimate concern. It seems like the type of work I'd really want to take my time on.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-15-2017, 04:12 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 1,062

Re: Thinking About An Electrician Apprenticeship

Depends on what sort work you're doing, if it's tract homes, be prepared ti fly thru them. Industrial wiring and controls, not so.

Advertisement

Old 11-15-2017, 06:44 AM   #3
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,669

Speed doesn't necessarily equate with carelessness. Having said that, IMO there's generally considerably less personal danger in rushing electrical work than things like framing and roofing. Not to mention, you have a relatively limited set of power tools that are likely to eat appendages if you lose focus while using them.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:31 AM   #4
New Guy

Thank you.

So I gather that working fast with electrical is safer than it seems.

That was just the one thing I was worried about. I was thinking if I do this as fast as I normally work, I could screw up and get hurt.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:13 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,904

I've seen journeyman level electricians work fast, because they've done this a thousand times over. And, I've seen a few work as slowly as possible to rack up hours too.

If starting out you are either deadly afraid of electricity, or on the other hand, over confident, then both of these extremes are reasons not to get involved with electrical at all. Stick with painting or something else where a mistake won't be a life or death situation.

If you are going union and starting off as a apprentice, then you are going to be a gopher starting out. Around here, apprenticeships go on for 4 years, hopefully within that time you will learn something. Hopefully you will learn: patience, humility and self-confidence.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cwatbay For This Useful Post:
rselectric1 (11-15-2017), Tinstaafl (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 10:21 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 768

You an EMT?
Old 11-15-2017, 10:32 AM   #7
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 10,298

"Going fast" does not always mean the result is dangerous.

Doing poor work does, regardless of how long it takes to do.

An unsafe installation can be done in 8 hours or 1 hour.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:45 AM   #8
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Wax View Post
You an EMT?
I was, back in 2014.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:52 AM   #9
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwatbay View Post
I've seen journeyman level electricians work fast, because they've done this a thousand times over. And, I've seen a few work as slowly as possible to rack up hours too.

If starting out you are either deadly afraid of electricity, or on the other hand, over confident, then both of these extremes are reasons not to get involved with electrical at all. Stick with painting or something else where a mistake won't be a life or death situation.

If you are going union and starting off as a apprentice, then you are going to be a gopher starting out. Around here, apprenticeships go on for 4 years, hopefully within that time you will learn something. Hopefully you will learn: patience, humility and self-confidence.
Thank you.

I feel comfortable working with potentially dangerous stuff, as a lot of the jobs I've done involved heights, chemicals, communicable diseases (when I was an EMT), etc.

I feel like I could work with electricity, but I would be extremely careful starting out, paying very close attention to safety and safe work practices.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:36 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 398

I don't think I can tell you to jump into an apprenticeship. Let's face it, we don't know each other.

Everybody is different. Some people would excel, some wouldn't.

Personally, I recommend it. I wish I had gone that route. I enjoy the electrical work. I encourage my son to go that route.

It's ok that you are afraid of electricity. It can kill you. But, alot of things can kill you. You will start out at the bottom. They will treat you like crap. Suck it up and live with it. Learn as much as possible. Do a good job. Don't zone out.

I recommend it.

Advertisement