Testing Exterior 175 Mercury Vapor Lamp

Old 04-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 338

Testing Exterior 175 Mercury Vapor Lamp

Couple months ago the lens cover fell off this fixture, pulling down through the hole pair. Ever since it was left exposed.

Now that a replacement came in, and was attached, the lamp doesn't light.

Pulled off the new lens and tested the black power leads, all have power (marked) . I attempted to tape off the top light sensor. Can test again when the others light at nightfall to be certain.

How to determine if the problem is the light sensor or the ballast of even the light socket due to exposure to the elements? If its the ballast, it's cooked and these are discontinued - which match the other ones on the barn. And popular as it is, I'm not going to convert the lamp to another type.

Is the white socket lead routed directly from the light sensor or the ballast? I'm trying to minimize time spent on the extension ladder with neck craned straight upward. A tad awkward.

- Was hoping that with all the vibration from the lens cover, it was as simple as a loose connection. That's about as much as I can clarify that dark recess.

Attached Images

Last edited by artinall; 04-08-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: DEFENDER OF FREEDOM ADVOCATE OF LIBERTY!
Rewards Points: 3,436

Re: Testing Exterior 175 Mercury Vapor Lamp

New fixtures are what?.... Fifty bucks?

Advertisement

Old 04-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
Pro

Regent says that they quite making these 175MV according to law. This is what matches our others.
The Following User Says Thank You to artinall For This Useful Post:
MALCO.New.York (04-18-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Electrical & Carpentry
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by artinall View Post
Couple months ago the lens cover fell off this fixture, pulling down through the hole pair. Ever since it was left exposed.

Now that a replacement came in, and was attached, the lamp doesn't light.

Pulled off the new lens and tested the black power leads, all have power (marked) . I attempted to tape off the top light sensor. Can test again when the others light at nightfall to be certain.

How to determine if the problem is the light sensor or the ballast of even the light socket due to exposure to the elements? If its the ballast, it's cooked and these are discontinued - which match the other ones on the barn. And popular as it is, I'm not going to convert the lamp to another type.

Is the white socket lead routed directly from the light sensor or the ballast? I'm trying to minimize time spent on the extension ladder with neck craned straight upward. A tad awkward.

- Was hoping that with all the vibration from the lens cover, it was as simple as a loose connection. That's about as much as I can clarify that dark recess.

I have seen HPS ballast/lights run "forever" without the lens. Having worked on them a lot in industry, I don't know what you mean by "pulling down the hole pair" ?.
If the ballast cooked you would know it by the smell & looks. As for the lamp socket-it is wired from the secondary of the ballast.
As this post is about a week old what did you find????
Old 04-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
Pro

Did test the wires feeding in and found a failure at the light sensor - power goes in but it doesn't come out. So I pulled the sensor and the three prongs are rust laden, with the foam seal broken.

Maybe all that movement shook it loose.

Looks like a new lamp.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #6

Trade: Electrial Contractor (master)
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
New fixtures are what?.... Fifty bucks?
what you said
Old 04-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #7
Pro

But here again its just not one, probably three. Someone else will have to do it - no time on my end.

- Thanks for the posts.

Advertisement