Square D Generator Hook Up

Old 09-03-2006, 10:37 PM   #1

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 75

Square D Generator Hook Up

I was at Lowe's the other day to buy some lumber, but found myself wandering through the electrical department as I always do. I saw a new item Square D had for their QO and Homline panels. It was a plate that mounted to the deadfront or cover. It only allowed breakers 2 and 4 to be turned on by turning off the main breaker and sliding the plate up. It said it was for a generator hook-up so you can backfeed the panel on 2 and 4 and not backfeed the power company's transformer. The theory seems sound, but I wonder what inspectors think about them. I have friends and family to want generator hook-ups but don't like the cost of a 100 to 200 amp transfer switch. I won't do them without one. I know some guys you set a 30a 240v recept, make a double male end cord, and say "Just turn off the main". I won't be responsible for a utility guy getting killed. I did backfeed an A/C disconnect for my neighbor once after a storm, but shut off and locked out his main. No one wants a huge generator, just provisions for a 240v 30a to run appliances, wells, etc. Has anyone else seen or used these new plates? What do you think?

Master Electrician/Self-Proclaimed Handy-Man

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #2
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Square D Generator Hook Up

I did buy a square d panel once that had this plate pre-installed on the cover. It see-sawed the utility main and the generator main. Worked just fine, and it meets the minimum code requirements.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:43 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkysteve View Post
Has anyone else seen or used these new plates? What do you think?
It's called a main breaker interlock.
It works exactly as you describe. Not so new either. Been around a while now.
I think the concept of including them in new main breaker panels is pretty new. A big box store idea I think.

I think they are a cheap, safe alternative to a main transfer switch.

Hey, anything to keep these morons from using suicide cords and backfeeding their dryer receptacles.

Old 09-04-2006, 06:38 AM   #4
Pro

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkysteve View Post
I was at Lowe's the other day to buy some lumber, but found myself wandering through the electrical department as I always do. I saw a new item Square D had for their QO and Homline panels. It was a plate that mounted to the deadfront or cover. It only allowed breakers 2 and 4 to be turned on by turning off the main breaker and sliding the plate up. It said it was for a generator hook-up so you can backfeed the panel on 2 and 4 and not backfeed the power company's transformer. The theory seems sound, but I wonder what inspectors think about them. I have friends and family to want generator hook-ups but don't like the cost of a 100 to 200 amp transfer switch. I won't do them without one. I know some guys you set a 30a 240v recept, make a double male end cord, and say "Just turn off the main". I won't be responsible for a utility guy getting killed. I did backfeed an A/C disconnect for my neighbor once after a storm, but shut off and locked out his main. No one wants a huge generator, just provisions for a 240v 30a to run appliances, wells, etc. Has anyone else seen or used these new plates? What do you think?
I also have seen these and have used them and consider the equipment to be the bare minimum for a transfer switch. I am from the school of Murphy's Law and a 2 pole double throw disconnect switch is what you want to use because you absolutely and positively do not want to piss off a power company lineman by back feeding power from a generator. By spending a little more money you may save someone's life.
Think about it, how much is a person's life worth just to save a few bucks.

In this state the power company's got together and established standards for services and one of these standards are for transfer switches. The reason they did this is because 99% of residential electrical installations are unregulated and not inspected. This is what they want and this is what they get. If it does not meet the standards they will not connect the service. plain and simple.

Attachment 2799

Last edited by CE1; 09-21-2006 at 04:41 PM.