Smart Light Switch Circuit - Electrical - Contractor Talk

Smart Light Switch Circuit

Old 12-06-2005, 06:46 PM   #1

Trade: electrical
Rewards Points: 25

Smart Light Switch Circuit

I will be working on a three way switched light circuit. It is apparently an upscale installation. This is the first time I have seen this.

The switch at one location is either tied in to a controller or is itself some kind of smart switch.

It has both motion detection, timing and a rocker style wall switch at that location.(top of the stairs that go from ground level to the first floor)

The other location (bottom of the stairs) is missing the switch, but I believe it to have been a more (though not completely) standard rocker style switch. My best guess is that it was a momentary-on switch. <I will tell why I think that if it would help someone help me.>

My problem is I will have to replace the missing switch. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction?

Do these type of installations have usual and customary hardware as far as the "dumb" switch goes?

I know how to wire a standard three way switch circuit. Please don't feel you need to explain a basic three way switch circuit to me.

Thanks for any help and replies,

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2005, 08:44 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Smart Light Switch Circuit

I have installed those before. You will need a pair for them to work. It will not take a "dumb" switch.

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2005, 10:01 PM   #3
New Guy

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 10

you will need a master , and a slave. it will not wire as a standard three way either.hope this helps

Old 12-06-2005, 10:06 PM   #4
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,002

You almost always need manufacturer specific data for these "system" type multi location switches. Every brand and model is screwy in its own special way. I did install some Zenith brand occupancy sensing switches once that would inter-tie with standard 3ways and 4ways if need be. You might have to get the brand and model off the existing switch and pull up some data on the net or call their tech support line.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:47 AM   #5

Trade: electrical
Rewards Points: 25

Thanks everyone,

I will stop by the job site as soon as I can and look for
manufactures information on the available switch.
At least I now have some basic understanding and
commom terminology thanks to all of you. That will
help me alot as I proceed.

Thanks again,
Old 12-07-2005, 08:21 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Colorado master electrician, EC, B-1 GC
Rewards Points: 2,000

I have an occupancy sensor here to a standard 3-way but my experience is that the sensors don't last forever which may be the reason someone pulled out your bottom switch. It might end up less expensive to replace both parts. I do like sensors for a number of reasons even it they can be fickle.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:41 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling

I tried one of those. I thought it would be great in our hallway coming in from the garage so when you come in with groceries in your hands you don't have to fumble for the switch. I went through 2 different brands, never got them to work right. The best I got out of it was one worked for about a 3 days. I love the idea, I just can't get it to work for some reason.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:45 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Colorado master electrician, EC, B-1 GC

I think most of them need a neutral which may not be available in all situations. Of course that would not make it fail after 3 days. My part time job had a contract with the school district for 120 schools over a 5 year period with some occupancy sensors. After about 1 year the change order came in to eliminate the os's we put in and to delete them from the rest of the contract. Several brands were tried. Lamp life was one issue but there were failures also.

Advertisement