Residential Windmill

Old 01-07-2017, 02:20 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Flooring & cabinetry
Rewards Points: 268

Residential Windmill

Hey Everyone:

My background is not electrical, and I have never received an answer from anyone on this question that was definitive.

We've had windmills for centuries, and have used them to make electrical power for decades. My understanding is to use them in a home, you have to have a bank of batteries and inverter or transformer. The windmill actually re-charges the batteries, and the home runs off the batteries.

My question is, if I had a windmill on my roof, why couldn't I use whatever power it produces without a battery system? When it is turning, I get electric. If it isn't producing enough, I run on the power lines coming into the house. There would be some kind of transformer and have to run it through a power filter of some kind to "merge" the sources and prevent spikes, I guess.

Is this totally not doable, eliminating the clumsy and expensive batteries in exchange for accepting it will be only part of my power supply?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #2
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 9,728

Re: Residential Windmill

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG007 View Post
My background is not electrical, and I have never received an answer from anyone on this question that was definitive.
.................................................. ...................................

Is this totally not doable, eliminating the clumsy and expensive batteries in exchange for accepting it will be only part of my power supply?
Firstly, if it was doable - wouldn't there be a bunch of people doing it?

So....no.

Now that's pretty God Damned definitive.

Advertisement

Never retreat, never explain, never apologizeóget the thing done and let them howl !
The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (01-09-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,348

For what the cost is it is not really doable. If you wanted to run things on like 12 volt or something maybe.

A friend of mine put up a wind generator a number of years ago. He has a average size house and family. It was suppose to maintain a zero reading on the meter, you are pumping what you make back into the grid turning the meter back. Anyhow it does not do that. This is not a little cheapo unit neither. So now is trying to sell it. Has had it up a good 15 years. To many thing that affect it. Just because you have wind does not mean it is good or ideal wind for making power. I honestly don't think over the long run you save any money over being on the grid.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:04 PM   #4
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 214

If you want to live off the grid then you need the batteries just like solar, if not then no batteries are required & you can either use the power in your house or send it back to the grid. If you want to know more about it: http://thehtrc.com/2011/going-off-gr...ions-for-power

As for delivering enough power - well you have to properly size it based on prevailing winds.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:05 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,487

Run the numbers, they'll answer whether it makes sense to do that. The answer is no, it doesn't make sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Randy Bush (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 03:07 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Home Beautification
Rewards Points: 3,670

This is an assumption and I am not going to research it, but a windmill should work like solar assuming you are attached to the grid. You get a special meter that counts production and usage, which is then calculated on your bill/credit.

No way a "normal" roof can support a windmill for energy production. You wouldn't need an industrial unit but something of decent size is going to produce a lot of side loading forces.

Why not a solar system? Probably last longer than a windmill, with less mechanical maintenance, and the panels with inverters like Enphase carry a 25 year warranty. If you have a bill over $100, they usually have around a 7 year ROI, and from there on it is money in the bank. Effectively most power bills double every 10 years too, so what it is today, is not what the bill is going to be in the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter_C For This Useful Post:
Rio (01-08-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 03:11 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post

Why not a solar system? Probably last longer than a windmill, with less mechanical maintenance, and the panels with inverters like Enphase carry a 25 year warranty. If you have a bill over $100, they usually have around a 7 year ROI, and from there on it is money in the bank. Effectively most power bills double every 10 years too, so what it is today, is not what the bill is going to be in the future.
There's a company doing installs up here with no real up front cost - you pay for the system out of the cost savings over time.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:18 PM   #8
Pro

Before I wasted a dime on a system I would try any talk to people in the area that have one , if any. Would not go by what some sale person or even the power company tell you. My friends is a 120' tower and think it ran him 30 thousand after a grant for it too. And that was for a unit that was suppose to generate 1500 -2000 . Rarely ever happened.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (01-09-2017), SmallTownGuy (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 03:19 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
There's a company doing installs up here with no real up front cost - you pay for the system out of the COST SAVING over time.
That is the real problem no real cost savings.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:37 PM   #10
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 5,206

I had a client that put one in, when it was roaring away the meter was spinning backwards.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:42 PM   #11
John the Builder

Youz guyz already lost track of what the OP asked - is wind doable without the battery+inverter combo.

Solar/wind/hydro - all are doable. And you can save money.

Looka here, the OP even answered his/her own question. That "some kind of transformer" and "power filter" - that's called an inverter.

Quote:
My question is, if I had a windmill on my roof, why couldn't I use whatever power it produces without a battery system? When it is turning, I get electric. If it isn't producing enough, I run on the power lines coming into the house. There would be some kind of transformer and have to run it through a power filter of some kind to "merge" the sources and prevent spikes, I guess.

Never retreat, never explain, never apologizeóget the thing done and let them howl !
Old 01-07-2017, 03:44 PM   #12
John the Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bush View Post
Before I wasted a dime on a system I would try any talk to people in the area that have one , if any. Would not go by what some sale person or even the power company tell you. My friends is a 120' tower and think it ran him 30 thousand after a grant for it too. And that was for a unit that was suppose to generate 1500 -2000 . Rarely ever happened.
Hey Randy, aren't you an off-grid guy?

Old 01-07-2017, 03:46 PM   #13
John the Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
I had a client that put one in, when it was roaring away the meter was spinning backwards.
Yup. those blades make noise. I darn sure wouldn't want one on my roof telegraphing that vibration/thrumming through the structure...

Old 01-07-2017, 04:21 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
Hey Randy, aren't you an off-grid guy?
Yep wood cookstove. Kerosene lamps, horse and buggy. We are so far back in they have to pump sunlight to us. Lol

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
Philament (01-07-2017), PRP (01-09-2017), Sisyphus (01-07-2017), SmallTownGuy (01-07-2017), Tom Struble (01-10-2017), TxElectrician (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 04:22 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
Yup. those blades make noise. I darn sure wouldn't want one on my roof telegraphing that vibration/thrumming through the structure...
Oh and the noise they make when shutting down from to much wind.

The Following User Says Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 04:27 PM   #16
Pro

We have an old 32 volt I think out at the farm. I have seen pictures of them batteries blanks they use to have.

The Following User Says Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 04:34 PM   #17
John the Builder

I remember now - you have to truck in water.

That would be a killer for me.

One of those mountain top towns in Arizona - Flagstaff - maybe it was Prescott - anyway, that geoseismic (harumph) outfit I worked for - one of their civilian jobs I was on was locating possible new water well locations - seems that being a mile high and having to go 10,000 feet down for water was putting some stress on their growing community.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:37 PM   #18
John the Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bush View Post
We have an old 32 volt I think out at the farm. I have seen pictures of them batteries blanks they use to have.

Somewhere around here, I have an old Kohler 4 cylinder 32 volt rig.
Was always gonna pull the motor and put it in an early garden tractor and make a retro mini rod out of it.

hmmm, so many ideas, getting too soon old....

The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
Randy Bush (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 05:42 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Home Beautification
Rewards Points: 3,670

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
There's a company doing installs up here with no real up front cost - you pay for the system out of the cost savings over time.
That is a lease, and you do not own the system. Sun Run is one of the most popular finance companies. They will lower your energy bill with no out of pocket money. They will save you money long term. It is NOT an investment. Purchasing your own system using a home equity of line of credit, county financing if available or cash offers the best ROI. Far better than most stock market investments.

On that note, most solar systems today are installed on a lease...

Anyone who claims solar systems are not cost effective and do not pay back are ignorant. (Only time they do not pay back is lack of available light, or low bills.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter_C For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2017, 12:25 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Purchasing your own system using a home equity of line of credit, county financing if available or cash offers the best ROI. Far better than most stock market investments.

On that note, most solar systems today are installed on a lease...

Anyone who claims solar systems are not cost effective and do not pay back are ignorant. (Only time they do not pay back is lack of available light, or low bills.)
I bought a bunch of 60W equivalent LED 8.5W bulbs for $1.50 each. Lifespan alone compared to a CFL makes it a good investment - the energy savings are gravy.

Electricity costs vary widely around the country, as does useful solar generation ability and subsidy programs for solar, so ROIs are all over the place.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Peter_C (01-08-2017), Tom Struble (01-10-2017)