Recessed Lighting For Crown Molding In Tray Ceiling?

Old 04-29-2005, 11:57 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Recessed Lighting For Crown Molding In Tray Ceiling?

Small tray ceiling in kitchen 4 cans in the interior of the tray ceiling, the inside perimeter of the tray will have crown molding at the edges, customer wants to light it for a glow up to the inside of the tray, with the cans being turned off on separate switch so the crown lighting can act as mood or night light.

My first thought was install a switched outlet up there and plug in a rope light. Is this typical? Also, how do you deal with the length of the rope light. Ideally it should be as long as the run of molding so it isn't doubled back upon itself right? Is there some sort of trimable rope light?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-29-2005, 01:13 PM   #2

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Recessed Lighting For Crown Molding In Tray Ceiling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley

My first thought was install a switched outlet up there and plug in a rope light. Is this typical? Also, how do you deal with the length of the rope light. Ideally it should be as long as the run of molding so it isn't doubled back upon itself right? Is there some sort of trimable rope light?
That's what I would do. And yes the rope lights I have worked with were trimmable. There is a cut mark every 12 or 18 inches (can't remember).

Advertisement

Old 04-29-2005, 04:14 PM   #3
Pro

Don't leave me hanging - where do you get the trimable type?
Old 04-29-2005, 04:25 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: underground

Quote:
Don't leave me hanging - where do you get the trimable type?
Google dude - rope lights

more rope light

But seriously...rope lights in the kitchen ceiling? Is this one of your 'let's see who bites' posts?

Last edited by PipeGuy; 04-29-2005 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:30 PM   #5
Pro

LOL, no this is serious. There is no way I can see installing flourescents, the lighting would be uneaven in the corners and they would take up too much room. Halogens would be even worse. I'm open to alternatives, what are the alternatives?

PS - I can google too man, but I want it local if available.

Last edited by Mike Finley; 04-29-2005 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:17 PM   #6
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service

Sorry, but the UL outlawed trimmable rope lighting a few years back, and the manufacturer's were permitted to sell the current trimmable stock off. At last report, field cuttable rope lighting was expected to be sold out by the second quarter of this year. Probably the best known vendor for such oddball products is National Specialty Lighting. They have all sorts of special architectural lighting products. You can connect various lengths of their rope light seemlessly end to end for custom length, or have your perfect length made up by them. They also have a product called "Brite Strip", which is specially made for crown molding applications such as yours, and is field cuttable. Woo-hoo! Check it out.

(By the way, I don't work for them. I'm just a regular electrician who comes home dirty every night just like you guys.)

Last edited by mdshunk; 04-29-2005 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:15 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

LED's are rapidly becoming popular, very low heat output too. I'm beginning to see them all over boats now, might be worth a Google.

Albert Einstein
Old 04-29-2005, 09:44 PM   #8
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Look at lucifer lighting - their strip lights with xenon bulbs (not as much heat) and the light shields make for very nice effects. If you go 4" o.c. with them it's about 15w per foot. It's 24v system so you'll need a place for a transformer (the downside).
Old 04-29-2005, 09:55 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Wood working in spare time.
Rewards Points: 1,000

what about those hockey puck lights i don't know there exact name but thats what they look like hockey pucks and give a nice warm light. You can install as many as you need and they run off of a transformer box. or maybe not because those are usually mounted underneath a cabinet where they can't be seen to light counter top. Do you know a lighting designer you could run this project by???

Last edited by 747; 04-29-2005 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:11 PM   #10
DGR,IABD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747
what about those hockey puck lights...
There would be no way that puck lights would fit behind crown molding. Think about it.
They are generally reserved for undercabinet and undershelf lighting applications.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 747
Do you know a lighting designer you could run this project by???
I'm sure that a lighting designer would like to collect a couple of sheckels to spec this out, but it's a fairly mundane lighting element that should not require a designer. The lighting vendor or the electrician will have more than enough skill to do the minimal "design" of this.

Last edited by mdshunk; 04-29-2005 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:05 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

This is not rocket science. Let's just throw around what we know.
BTW, I'm not really sure about the topic. Cove moulding is closed, once the top is opened for lights it is referred to here by ASID's as valance lighting.
Look for new thread.

Albert Einstein
Old 04-29-2005, 11:11 PM   #12
DGR,IABD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetorbilt
BTW, I'm not really sure about the topic. Cove moulding is closed, once the top is opened for lights it is referred to here by ASID's as valance lighting.
...and the lighting Mr. Finley proposes is called "cove lighting" or "valance lighting", interchangeably. Means the same thing. I'm not so sure that most tradespeople would know the interior designer's club lingo. Does the ASID have a secret handshake also?

Cove lighting

Last edited by mdshunk; 04-29-2005 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:03 AM   #13
Pro

Teetor is correct valance lighting I didn't realize that was what he was talking about. Those puck lights was a stupid suggestion :Thumbs: LOL
Old 04-30-2005, 12:48 AM   #14
Pro

A LED ROPE LIGHT :Thumbs: One might not be enough but how about two running parallel. Is it possible you might be able to run a mirror underneath of them meaning a special cut piece of mirror from a glass company just wide enough to fit. In theory the reflection should be equal to 4 led rope lights and the beam will project upward. This should be sufficent illumination. :Thumbs:

Last edited by 747; 04-30-2005 at 04:03 AM.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:19 PM   #15

Trade: Lighting and flooring
Rewards Points: 25

we are new here but you guys know lots of things
Old 05-03-2005, 10:51 AM   #16
Pro

This is the idea, but on a much smaller scale - 4'x6' is all this will be, centered over a kitchen island.

From talking to you here and doing some research the right way to do this is with a 24 volt transformer and a xenon lighting rope.

However, this is a KISS solution for this one and it will be a LED rope light (60,000 hour life $90) plugged into an outlet. As was said you can't cut them in the field anymore, so I will just order it to length, stick it in the crown and plug it into a switched outlet.

The customers expectations and budget for this part of the job are not high so we will see how it looks, from everything I have seen it should meet their expectations.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:23 PM   #17

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Have you or anyone you know had any safety issues using rope lighting for accent lighting? I recently had one short out and experienced some melting with one of our installations where we used it in a ceiling tray. I am a little concerned and am not sure if I am going to use it in further installations.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:01 PM   #18
The Deck Guy

Trade: Outdoor Design & Construction
Send a message via AIM to Greg Di

Quote:

However, this is a KISS solution for this one and it will be a LED rope light (60,000 hour life $90) plugged into an outlet. As was said you can't cut them in the field anymore, so I will just order it to length, stick it in the crown and plug it into a switched outlet.
Mike,

How tall is your crown profile? I would think you'd need a pretty large crown to hide a receptacle from all angles.

The reason I ask is that this is something I would like to offer as an upgrade, but I don't want my electrician to have to think to much. I want to tell him how it's going to be before we start.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:30 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by wberry
Have you or anyone you know had any safety issues using rope lighting for accent lighting? I recently had one short out and experienced some melting with one of our installations where we used it in a ceiling tray. I am a little concerned and am not sure if I am going to use it in further installations.

Never heard of a problem with burning but anything is possible? I use thm for under rail lighting on my deck. I also use them above my kitchen cabinets secured behind the crown mold. Gives off a real nice light and is excellent for mood lights!!
Old 02-22-2006, 02:20 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Di
Mike,

How tall is your crown profile? I would think you'd need a pretty large crown to hide a receptacle from all angles.

The reason I ask is that this is something I would like to offer as an upgrade, but I don't want my electrician to have to think to much. I want to tell him how it's going to be before we start.
Hey, Greg,

just a simple 4 1/2 mdf crown molding. Just have him turn the box sideways and tuck it into a corner and bring it down as far as possible.

Advertisement