Number Of Wires In Switch Box

Old 11-16-2006, 08:52 PM   #1

Trade: remodeler
Rewards Points: 10
Question

Number Of Wires In Switch Box

I want to remove a switch box and put in a smaller box. I wondering about the number of wires allowed per box. When you count the wires, is each ground per cable counted or do all the ground wires count as one. So, if you've got three 14-2 with ground wires in a box is that 9 total or 7 total?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-16-2006, 09:02 PM   #2
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Number Of Wires In Switch Box

All the grounds are counted once for all of them, the switch is counted twice, and each hot and neutral is counted. All internal clamps are counted as once. In your case you'll have an old work box with internal clamps (1), grounds (1), switch (2), three hots (3), three neutrals (3), for a total "count" of 10. Multiply this by 2 (it's the multiplier for 14 gauge), and you'll need a box with at least 20 cubic inches to make this legal. That's a pretty deep box. (the multiplier for #12 is 2.25, in case you need to know)