Humming Breaker Panel

Old 08-15-2003, 01:50 PM   #1
Pro

Rewards Points: 250

Humming Breaker Panel

I was on a service call yesterday and to add an outlet in a residential home and I noticed a humming sound coming from the breaker panel!
Anyone ever run into this before? What could be causing this?

Thanks,
Haywire
The Following User Says Thank You to Haywire For This Useful Post:
CanningCustom (05-07-2014)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-24-2003, 06:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

Re: Humming Breaker Panel

Hi Haywire...

My guess is...

Either too much current at the neutral wire or a noisy breaker.

Try to single out the breaker before you do anything.

I take it, you're not an electrician,

Thanks,
Harry

Old 09-26-2003, 02:31 PM   #3
Pro

Rewards Points: 250

Harry,

I'm currently attending Chattahoochee Technical College. So, no I'm not an electrician yet... but I'm learning alot.
Right now a friend of mine is allowing me to shadow him and do a few simple calls myself. He checks my work after I done. It does not pay well but I should not expect much since he is training me.

Thanks for the help.

Haywire
Old 10-02-2003, 10:15 PM   #4

deleted

-Nathan

Last edited by Nathan; 10-09-2003 at 08:58 PM.

Old 12-06-2003, 05:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry
Hi Haywire...

My guess is...

Either too much current at the neutral wire or a noisy breaker.

Try to single out the breaker before you do anything.

I take it, you're not an electrician,

Thanks,
Harry
What would you do if the breaker was the problem and it was the neutral?

Thanks,

-Will

Old 01-20-2004, 08:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywire
Harry,

I'm currently attending Chattahoochee Technical College. So, no I'm not an electrician yet... but I'm learning alot.
Right now a friend of mine is allowing me to shadow him and do a few simple calls myself. He checks my work after I done. It does not pay well but I should not expect much since he is training me.

Thanks for the help.

Haywire
"A few simple calls"

If you're doing electrical work without proper licensing and insurance, you're nuts.

Old 02-15-2004, 01:41 PM   #7
DRIFTWOOD

Trade: GEN CONTR.
Rewards Points: 500

could be arcking from loose connection at breaker. may be coming from elec transformer on panel charge custom $38 and hand him ear muffs . are you faster than elec? stick to what you do best
Old 02-17-2004, 09:12 PM   #8

The breaker panel obviously doesn't know the words.

Old 02-24-2006, 02:17 PM   #9

Trade: electrical service tech
Rewards Points: 10

iv run into this before

It was usually caused by the heat and the ac unit being directly accross from each other
Old 02-25-2006, 04:35 AM   #10
New Guy

Trade: Painting and drywall

the first thing i would check is to see if there is a doorbell transformer or something like that mounted to the outside or nearby the box thats giving you the humming noise ...Dont know ...just a thought
Old 02-25-2006, 12:39 PM   #11
CJ

Trade: Electrical

this is not hard to find 3 or 4 simple things to check and then fix the problem
hire a lic electrician save you time and the embarassment
Old 02-26-2006, 02:27 PM   #12
New Guy

Trade: Electrician

First go down to your local L&I office and get your electrical trainee card, it's about 40 bucks here in WA. If you get caught without it you and your buddy are subject to fine and legal action. second, i ran into this and it was a crappy Zinsco (aka fireball) panel that had a section of the bus bar under the breaker that protects the lights and outlets in my spare bedroom pitted from some arcing between the breaker and pnl. The more pitting, the more arcing, and hence more pitting, viscious circle. try flipping breakers and/or pull the breaker up from the bar and listen to see if the humming stops. also look at the bus bar. Or like the other guys said the neutral is slapping around. whatever you do make sure your buddy is there watchin out for you. you can't be to safe around live panels. good luck.

Last edited by seattle_sparky; 02-26-2006 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:35 PM   #13
Pro

Haywire

STOP what you are doing and wait till you have a proper mentor and a good amount of experience. What you are doing is very dangerous to you and anybody around you. Electrical troubleshooting is dangerous to the inexperienced, you have got to know what you are doing!

Kenny Rogers

Consider his song, The Gambler: "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away and know when to run."

Think about this and apply it to your situation.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:31 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Master Electrican, Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 276

Wait a minute here folks. Is there an ark-fault breaker in this panel? Even more critical is there a Seimans ark fault breaker in this panel. Or maybe multiple Seimans ark fault breakers in this panel? That particular brand has been known to "hum" quite a bit when operational. You may not have a problem here at all, except for a device in your panel which may not do the job that the manufacturers promise it will.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:52 AM   #15
Pro

The guy needs to stand down! He is in over his head. We can analyze this to death and it still is not going to help him very much. He needs a real electrician onsite.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:18 PM   #16
New Guy

come on CE1 where's that "can do" attitude! just kidding, as a CE3 I couldn't resist! A licensed electrician is definatly the right way to go.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:29 AM   #17
Pro

Thank You

Even over the years the "Can Do" sprit that was drilled into me still survives. In order to “Can Do” you still need to know “How To”.

Here is a question for all of you out there. Do you really try to pass on what you know to others who are less experienced and willing to learn?

I do.

Recomended reading:Attachment 1513

Last edited by CE1; 03-13-2006 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #18

Many states DO NOT REQUIRE A LICENSE !

For instance I live in PA, which has no state license but some loaclites do. In states like PA only the large cties which make up a fraction of the land mass have a license. It is a far better system than say NJ, where the sate and the Big Labor Thugs run what is esssentially a monoploy and ammounts to a cartel. Not to mention if you look up safety statiscs, the areas with the most stringent licesning more often than not have the most accidents. Simply put a license does you are an etical person, it does not mean you know what you are doing in practice and it does not mean you have the common sense to work safely.

Statisically the reason, states with stringent licensing have the most accidents is that they create a situaion where few people can get in to take a test each year. As a result the labor is at a premium and due to lack of the supply of electricans to meet the demmand the price of labor is very high. (the typical laws fo supply and demmand at work)

As a result of the high costs in a state like NJ people are willing to take a chance fixing things themself and acciendts happen. In states like PA there are an abunance of qualified experinced electricans and again due to the laws of supply and demmand, the cost of labor is cheap. The result is few are willing to take the risk doing it themself when the cost is low.

On the flipside for the individual electrician sure it sounds better to be in a state like NJ you get paid more and many PA electricans who live on the east side of the state will get an NJ license at some point. On the flip side if you are intrested in starting you're own company it is much better and more business freindly here in PA as there is no monopoly by the Big Contractors and the Big Labor thugs you have in NJ.

Last edited by electroman76; 06-06-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #19

HELLO Mc Fly, HOW DO YOU GET A A LICENSE IN AN AREA WHERE THEY DO NOT HAVE ONE ????????

Also a little FACTOID for ya............... Being good at what you do and having knowledge of the eletrical field and trade is not mutually exclusive to being a licensed or non licensed electrician !

I am guessing the ignorance displayed in you're statement means you are in a Union and are a Big Labor Guy living a Big Labor state. NEWSFLASH.......not all of us live in areas dominated by Democrats and their Big Government Commie Lib policies.

Also what does the millitarry class have to do with a civilian license ? At any rate I know from experince the Mil. trained guys are far more learned and anyone I have known or worked with that had millitarry training was among the best of the best as I am sure you are !

Just know there is a whole country out there much of which, does not do things the way they do in you're state. In some cases this is a bad thing, yet in most cases it = cheaper to the consumer and safer to the community as few people try to fix things themself when labor costs are low.

Last edited by electroman76; 06-06-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE1 View Post
Thank You

Even over the years the "Can Do" sprit that was drilled into me still survives. In order to “Can Do” you still need to know “How To”.

Here is a question for all of you out there. Do you really try to pass on what you know to others who are less experienced and willing to learn?

I do.

Recomended reading:Attachment 1513
What about situations where there is not a specific "How to" solve a given problem? For instance in existing construcion often times there is no specfic way to solve a problem due to many factors and issues created by the existing structure. In these cases you often times innovate and use the knowlege of code, materials and electricity to solve a problme in a unique way. This happnes often with jobs that fall under Chapter 7 and 8 of the NEC.