How Many Outlets On A Circuit

Old 01-20-2007, 10:15 PM   #1

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 75

How Many Outlets On A Circuit

Seen an old thread jus need to re-adjust my thinking

I always on new construction give each room there own circuit for instance:

3-bedroom each room have it own home-run for as outlets are concern but never never put all the bedroom outlets on one breaker

Is there a elec.mech. that put all there bedroom outlet on one breaker

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-21-2007, 07:25 AM   #2
Murrayselctric

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Re: How Many Outlets On A Circuit

Each duplex counts for 180va. On a 20amp circuit I always try to stay around 9 but will go to 10 if needed. As far as the bedrooms go I always put each bedroom on its own AFCI. I used to keep the lights separate, like all bedroom lights on 1 circuit. Now we're supposed to but it all on the AFCI. The last time I did this a motion sensor for the closet light caused the AFCI to trip. Not when I turned the closet light on, when I turned the breaker on.

Burlington, Ks 66839
Old 01-21-2007, 07:33 AM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 1,046

There is NO 180va designation in residential installations. Technically you can put as many as you want. Common sense tells us differenty.

For bed rooms I typically do from 8-10 "items" on a 15 amp circuit. A receptacle or light fixture/recessed is an "item" to me.
I will mix rooms if they are small so sometimes I'll do two bed room's receptacles on one circuit and have a common lighting circuit for the area.

It really depends on the house.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:41 AM   #4
MI Electrician

Trade: MI Electrician
Rewards Points: 10

I usually use 12. 1amp per recep
Old 01-21-2007, 10:31 AM   #5
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 3,448

Here, in New Mexico, the state amended the NEC to add maximum of 10 outlets per circuit. It was maximum of 8 until the requirement for AFCI's then they tossed us a bone by increasing it to 10.

Strange thing, it doesn't matter if the circuit is 15A or 20A same rule.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:06 PM   #6
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 2,208

it would be more work but would seem to make sense to put the light for a given room on a different circuit then the outlets-that way if an outlet trips the breaker the person might not have to worry about stumbing around in the dark (assuming it's dark w/ lights on).
Old 01-21-2007, 12:29 PM   #7
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevy4x4 View Post
it would be more work but would seem to make sense to put the light for a given room on a different circuit then the outlets-that way if an outlet trips the breaker the person might not have to worry about stumbing around in the dark (assuming it's dark w/ lights on).
That's what I generally struggle to do. Doesn't always work out in old work, but that's the goal.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:19 PM   #8
listen twice talk once!

Trade: electrician
Rewards Points: 500

I was learned along time ago not to put any one room on any one circuit if at all possible. That way if there is a problem the entire roon is not dead. I also used to put lights and plugs on the same general lighting circuits but now I try and keep the seperate. Lighting circuits I keep around 10-18 openings and outlets 10-14 ! Some people thinks this is a lot but not me!
Old 01-21-2007, 11:09 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Electrical contractor/General contractor/ ICC certified electrical inspector
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Here, in New Mexico, the state amended the NEC to add maximum of 10 outlets per circuit. It was maximum of 8 until the requirement for AFCI's then they tossed us a bone by increasing it to 10

In a normal house that is two bedrooms per circuit,most bedrooms only have 5 outlets in them. Myself I used to keep the lights in the bedroom seperate from the recptacles until the AFCI rule came in. Now I put them the same other areas I keep the lights seperate. I make a judgement call on how many receptacles on a circuit when I see the layout of the receptacles. In residential if you use the 3 VA per sq. ft. general lighting load on receptacle only and calulate the lights by true load (example, recess light 65 watts ) assuming you know what they will be,you will not have a problem with overloaded circuits. Obviously excluding kithcen, laundry rooms and such.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:57 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 1,000

Sort of on topic... Here (in BC), there is a rule, I understand, that the freezer must be on it's own circuit, when I remodeled the room with the freezer, I put the freezer outlet AND the light for that room on the same circuit. That way, if the breaker trips you will find out before you have to deal with the rotten food in the freezer. Makes sense to me, but is apparently against code. Comments?
From where does knowledge come? If you need to know what is in a box, you could ask someone (not reliable), you could pray, (not useful), you can consult with the scripture (not helpful) or you could open the box (science)
Old 01-23-2007, 01:08 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Electrical contractor/General contractor/ ICC certified electrical inspector
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by reveivl View Post
Sort of on topic... Here (in BC), there is a rule, I understand, that the freezer must be on it's own circuit, when I remodeled the room with the freezer, I put the freezer outlet AND the light for that room on the same circuit. That way, if the breaker trips you will find out before you have to deal with the rotten food in the freezer. Makes sense to me, but is apparently against code. Comments?

you could have run a MWBC and put the freezer on one, lights on the other, then used a common trip handle on the breakers.Seperate but not.