KOLA Mike

Trade: Roofing, Exteriors, Investor Rehabs, Education
Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via Skype™ to KolaWest
Exclamation

Gould Panel Cover... HELP!

Hey guy n gals,

I'm relatively new here, but I figured I'd ask:

I'm in punch out mode of a townhouse that needs an electrical panel cover.

I threw out the old one, thinking I could find a replacement cover, no problem. Well, needless to say, I'm not an electrician. Tired Grainger and a few other odd supply guys who might have it, but I can't find one anywhere.

I know the whole UL-listing situation, and I'm starting to think I'll never find the 'right' cover (up to code and such, panel is probably from 1991 when the place was built). But, I wanted to see if you guys had a potential solution.

The panel cover is 15.5"x19". This is the measurement from the out side of the 'paint lines' that the old cover filled. It has 100 AMP service in it, and a bunch of Gould breakers. There is no manufacturer name on the panel box itself, just on the breakers.

The reason I tossed the old one is because it was all rusted and I figured I could find a replacement cover for $30-ish, and now I'm up a proverbial tree. I'm not in a position that I can replace the whole panel, nor was it part of the contract to do so. Obviously, I'm not going to walk away until I find something that works and is relatively safe.

Can anyone help me find a solution to this? Is there any flush mounted universal doors that aren't necessarily 'code', but will do the trick?

THANKS!!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-25-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 3,506

Re: Gould Panel Cover... HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KolaWest View Post
Is there any flush mounted universal doors that aren't necessarily 'code', but will do the trick?
You really want that kind of liability?

Chances are it's a Gould box. Siemens bought Gould years ago; you might find something compatible there.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
KolaWest (02-25-2011)
Old 02-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
KOLA Mike

I'd hate to have the liability, but I'll probably have the owner sign a waiver of some sort. The contract sated I'd replace the cover, but that doesn't mean I'm responsible for the entire box replacement if one isn't available. I'm just trying to make it work somehow, and the owner knows what I'm trying to accomplish.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 3,506

A waiver like that wouldn't hold up; it's essentially collusion to do something illegal.

I do understand your situation, but technically it is your responsibility to replace the whole panel if you can't find the proper cover for it. You're the one who brought it into non-compliance by discarding the old cover.

You can just go ahead and use whatever you can find, and chances are there will never be an issue. But it won't be legal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
greg24k (03-02-2011)
Old 02-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
KOLA Mike

I appreciate the info and I'm not sure if that's the case in Colorado or not. But, it is helpful information.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 75

I'm not sure if that's the case in Colorado or not.

What the heck has Colorado got to do with it? Unless there is no code in your area (VERY UNLIKELY) you are on the hook. If you were an EC you would know better than to discard a cover regardless of how bad it is. Rust could have been removed and the cover repainted. It is VERY unlikely that you will ever find an original cover unless the panel is very recent and even there you will probably have to purchase a whole new panel just for the cover. There is no such thing as a universal replacement cover, that would not be legal even if they could be made which is impossible given the many thousands of different panels out there.

If the original cover is so bad that it cannot be used or it is missing you must replace the entire panel. Suck it up, you were stupid enough to throw out the old one. Now pay an EC to make it right.

-Hal
Old 02-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Commercial Electrician
Rewards Points: 83

You can try looking on the net. There are some supply places that have some absurd stuff in stock. But from here, it looks like your sh*t creek w/o a paddle. Next time ask a real electrician before ASSuming you can find an outdated panel cover.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
KOLA Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
I'm not sure if that's the case in Colorado or not.

What the heck has Colorado got to do with it? Unless there is no code in your area (VERY UNLIKELY) you are on the hook. If you were an EC you would know better than to discard a cover regardless of how bad it is. Rust could have been removed and the cover repainted. It is VERY unlikely that you will ever find an original cover unless the panel is very recent and even there you will probably have to purchase a whole new panel just for the cover. There is no such thing as a universal replacement cover, that would not be legal even if they could be made which is impossible given the many thousands of different panels out there.

If the original cover is so bad that it cannot be used or it is missing you must replace the entire panel. Suck it up, you were stupid enough to throw out the old one. Now pay an EC to make it right.

-Hal
You're correct, sir and that's exactly what I'm going to be doing. I got it worked out and thanks for the advice. Maybe try working on the bedside manner a bit, eh? Maybe I'll go find your posts and call you stupid too. That's real nice, chief. I was looking for answers, not criticism. I already realized I made a mistake, hence the thread.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #9
KOLA Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierte View Post
You can try looking on the net. There are some supply places that have some absurd stuff in stock. But from here, it looks like your sh*t creek w/o a paddle. Next time ask a real electrician before ASSuming you can find an outdated panel cover.
Already called a dozen places and the only thing that makes sense is replacing the box. I consider myself a pretty resourceful guy and just couldn't find a solution, so I'm trying to do the right thing. This will be the last time I ASSume anything, believe me.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #10
Head Grunt

Trade: Electrical Contractor&Home Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,122

You can try here, they may have a panel cover or at least a replacement panel if that is the make/model yo want to stay with : http://www.relectric.com/Panelboards
Old 03-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: A/V, Renovation
Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via AIM to avguy Send a message via Skype™ to avguy

Check around for electrical surplus warehouses.
The one I go to a few times a year has almost anything you can imagine from Bakelite switches to substation components.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:04 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 115

Powerpoint Used electrical equipment
(248) 442-0810 20741 Inkster Rd, Farmington Hills, MI 48336
Old 03-02-2011, 11:24 PM   #13
jack of all trades

Trade: general
Rewards Points: 75

go to home depot buy a brand new 100 amp panel comes with 20 breakers for abou $60.00
liability just aint worth it
this one is a service panel but they are cheap
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053