Garage Door Opener Outet Goes Where?

Old 01-30-2008, 04:16 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: GC/Developer
Rewards Points: 75

Garage Door Opener Outet Goes Where?

You know are you are a city slicker when you have no idea where to mount the garage door outlet.

Last time a saw a garage door opener was back in my childhood.

My thought is the garage door is 10 feet high, the opener sits above the door near the top of the door? Maybe 9 feet off the front wall? Outlet a little bit to the side?

Not looking to fish it in later since it is above living space and the plan is to heavly insulate that ceiling plus double sheet rock.

I know I can surface mount with flex or condiut later but would rather not do that assuming there is a standard location.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-30-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 2,942

Re: Garage Door Opener Outet Goes Where?

A standard garage door is 7' high. If your is higher, adjust.

The opener track is the full length of the door height (7') plus about a foot. The motor unit is about 10" long. So.

I mount the receptacle about 6" off center and about 8' back from the door.

Don't forget your low-voltage. One wire to the man-door into the house (for the opener button) and one to each side of the door (bottom of door) for the sensors. All terminate a couple inches from the door receptacle.

Last edited by thom; 01-30-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage
Rewards Points: 502

Holy crap! THANK YOU for asking!

I install at least a few openers a week and always having outlet issues.

Your standard Chamberlain OEM'ed operator comes with a 1 metre power cord. They state that using an extension cord could void the warranty, so a hardwired outlet is required.

So yes, 8' back from the door, centre of the car port. Other considerations are how high the ceiling is. If it's >30" there is also a high chance of the cord not reaching.

And I love what thom said, running the low voltage over to the wall control and down to the sensors. A 22g pair to each location is fine for Chamberlain OEM'ed units.

I wish production builders would pay attention to the little things like this.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 2,296

I always see the low voltage wire stapled to the drywall, and then painted over to ensure it sticks
Old 01-30-2008, 11:16 PM   #5
Service & Repairs

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 2,000

I install the receptacle, but never the LV wiring for the control. This must make the garage door opener guys feel important. By the way, what do you guys do when there is a high ceiling and the cord doesn't reach? In the past the general contractor has bought and installed an extension cord but I'm curious to know if any other professionals have a better idea for something like this.

thanks
Old 01-31-2008, 08:54 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: electrician
Rewards Points: 500

my gd outlet has always been center at 10' back. I have never had a problem.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:29 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 150

I always install the receptacle: height of the door plus 4' and one foot offcenter. I had an opener guy ask for this and I've never had a problem since.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:10 PM   #8
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,000

I always do height of door, plus 16" and 6" off center. Seems like it works out. I always do the LV, mostly because I hate the looks of it when the GDO contractor runs it. I just run 2-conductor thermostat wire, since I always have that handy for chime buttons. I run one to each side of the door, and one to the button location. I also run one between each door sensor, since I am aware of a couple brands that need a wire between each door sensor.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:21 PM   #9
Pro

It's be nice to have the LV installed behind the drywall. I've had people ask me to do that, after the drywall is already up, and they scoff when I tell them it would be twice the cost of installing the opener itself.

I always end up stapling it as neat and tidy as their budget permits.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:23 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnettica View Post
By the way, what do you guys do when there is a high ceiling and the cord doesn't reach?
I usually tell the HO that if they want to install an extension cord after I leave, it's up to them, but I won't install it for them. I follow that up with if they do use one that 14g and as short as possible.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:35 PM   #11

Trade: electrical contractor
Rewards Points: 10

to magnetica high celings ? just stub the nm cable out standard 1 foot back from given height of door then just sleev with flex and metal box?? or j box it and put so cord on it?
Old 02-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #12
Pro

What a co-incidence.. here's an opener that I hung tonight.

Electrical outlet was short by about 4" and the light was exactly where an opener would go.

I've hung several hundred openers in this builders houses over the last 5 years, and I haven't had a problem with their placements for the last few. I told the homeowners that they probably got a new apprentice to do their garage and to call their builder and see if they'll move it for them.
Attached Thumbnails
Garage Door opener outet goes where?-photo_020408_002.jpg  
Old 02-07-2008, 08:14 AM   #13

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 75

We used to put the receptacle 1-1/2' to 2' farther back than the door height and about 1' off center. Recently, in the last 2 or 3 years, it seems that a couple of installers have been using a standard opener length even if it is obviously longer than the door height. Don't know if that is to cut back on inventory or maybe that is what they just happened to have. Anyway, we've missed the mark by as much a 2' a couple of times because of this. Fortunately the gc has been in agreement with us about the reason. We will continue to use our regular rough in though. We just finished a rough in where the garage ceiling is 4-1/2' higher then the opener. We put a receptacle where it would have been it the ceiling had been lower and told them they would have to deal with it from there.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:29 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Master Electrican, Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 276

11 foot back from the garage door header, center line with the motor. Vaulted ceilings I will bring enough romex thru the drywall to attach a 4" square box to the motor mounting brackets so that the extension cord non option is not used. I always run the low voltage for the sensors, but I also always provide money for doing so in the proposal.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #15

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

I always take the door height plus 4 ft. It seems to work for any size door.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #16

Trade: electrical contractor
Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by personalt View Post
You know are you are a city slicker when you have no idea where to mount the garage door outlet.

Last time a saw a garage door opener was back in my childhood.

My thought is the garage door is 10 feet high, the opener sits above the door near the top of the door? Maybe 9 feet off the front wall? Outlet a little bit to the side?

Not looking to fish it in later since it is above living space and the plan is to heavly insulate that ceiling plus double sheet rock.

I know I can surface mount with flex or condiut later but would rather not do that assuming there is a standard location.
Hire an Qualified Electrician and stop doing illegal electrical work. Or just install it at the bottom right post of the door opening.