Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Electricians license in Butler Co. , Ohio ??

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Alwayspatience 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how to obtain a license to do electric work on residential homes in the Butler Co., OHIO area?
I am getting a bunch of contradictions even from the building dept. I've called. I did a little searching on here and followed a link for the state site but that site said they only did commercial licensing and to contact my local building dept. My local building dept. said they don't require a license for residential ( I'm pretty sure she didn't know what she was talking about because I've always been required to sub out my electric work to someone with a license in order to pull a permit; the only exception being a residential homeowner working on their own property.)
The main thing I'm trying to figure out is rather or not I'm eligible to take the exam with the experience I have ( Owner/Operator of a small residential remodelling company )
Also I noticed on the state site that a felony conviction would make me ineligible for commercial license; is this true for residential as well ? I had a wild youth but my felony is going on 11yrs old with no trouble since.
Thanks for reading my post, would appreciate any input.

#2 ·
I ran into a similar problem a few years ago. Not in Butler (can't remember the name of the county) it's very close to Marretta. Any rate we did a job down there that we actually proformed our own inspection. There was no permit process.

I'm not sure but this may be the same thing that butler does. I've been told there are a number of southern counties that opporate like this.

I think we ended up calling the utility company to find out what we needed to do to get a service hooked up. I was getting the same type of run around from the city, and building departments

If I remember correctly I think there was just a form that you filled out basically describing what you did and by signing it you state that it was installed per the NEC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.