Electrical Riser Diagram

Old 02-08-2007, 09:32 AM   #1

Trade: No

Electrical Riser Diagram

I am an electrical design engineer for residential and commercial buildings. I started this job a week ago. Can some one help me understand what is electrical riser diagram?

Does anyone has sample PDF or DWG file which shows the electrical riser diagram?

I know how to size panel board and calculate wire sizes.

This will really help me in my job... Thank you so much in advance.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-08-2007, 04:16 PM   #2
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service

Re: Electrical Riser Diagram

A riser diagram just shows the feeders from the service to the MDP, and onward to any transformers, subpanels, MCC's, and similar load side distribution equipment. Everything except the branch circuits.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:58 PM   #3
Union Electrician

Trade: Inside Wireman

It's also called a "one line diagram"
Don't you have any prints laying around your office?
Every commercial print I've seen has a riser diagram.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:26 PM   #4
DGR,IABD

Here's a little piece of a riser diagram:

Old 02-09-2007, 07:54 AM   #5

Thanks guys...

We dont have any kind of drawings in our office. The department I work for was a mechanical, plumbing and sturctural engineering department. Now they have started bringing electrical work.

how could you size conducters and conduits?

thanks again.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:35 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehal101083 View Post

how could you size conducters and conduits?
OK, now you're scaring me......

In your first post you say that you're an electrical designer, but in this message you're asking how to size conductors and conduit. Does your boss understand the liability he's taking on by having you doing work that you sound totally unqualified for????

Bob
Old 02-09-2007, 10:08 AM   #7

Let me clarify things now,

I graduated with the degree of B.S.Mechanical Engr. The firm hired me as a Mechanical Designer. I came to work for this place and they started doing all the electrical work too. Currently I am working in project which is three story condos. I have done the mechanical and plumbing design for 75000 sq ft building as my senior design project and I presented my all work to my boss during my interview. He was impressed with my Mechanical and Plumbing work.

In a week he told me to do electrical work too. I told my boss I can design mechanical and pluming but someone has to help me with electrical then he replied that this is our first electrical project so do whatever you can do the best. This is my first job so I want to learn as much as I can withour bugging him. He is so cool that he gives me enough time to learn. There is no senior electrical designer or engineer. My boss has Mechanical PE and he just wants to get started with all electrical work.

Its my mistake, I should have mentioned that I am an MEP designer instead just electrical designer.

I hope you understood. I hope you dont mind helping me understand all this. I have got NEC 2002 and reading some of the sections to know more.

Thank you and all for your help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kovacs View Post
OK, now you're scaring me......

In your first post you say that you're an electrical designer, but in this message you're asking how to size conductors and conduit. Does your boss understand the liability he's taking on by having you doing work that you sound totally unqualified for????

Bob
Old 02-09-2007, 03:32 PM   #8
DGR,IABD

When electricians have a hard question, we ask the electrical engineer. When the electrical engineer has a problem, I'm not sure who he asks. Is a PE going to seal your drawings? Perhaps you should be asking the PE. I'm scared for you and your customer.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk View Post
When electricians have a hard question, we ask the electrical engineer. When the electrical engineer has a problem, I'm not sure who he asks. Is a PE going to seal your drawings? Perhaps you should be asking the PE. I'm scared for you and your customer.
PE, my boss, is going to sign and seal the drawings. By the way, my boss will bring some one to peer review our drawings. Before we even have peer review, he needs something to show it to them and thats what I am trying to do now. I am not worried cause this is our first electrical attempt.

I have circuited the condo and sized the panel too. I reffered NEC 2002 to get started. I googled for the wire sizes. And this, electrical riser, was the only thing that I was not sure about.

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:30 PM   #10
Union Electrician

Trade: Inside Wireman

Table 310.16 is wire size.

And somewhere in chapter 9 you'll find conduit size