Electrical Help. Remote Panel - Electrical - Contractor Talk

Electrical Help. Remote Panel

Old 12-17-2017, 03:11 AM   #1

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 2

Electrical Help. Remote Panel

Okay electricians and gentlemen or ladies more savvie than myself. I have wired many of my own homes but am a little outside of my zone on this remodel. I am moving my overhead electrical service because the current location is right in the middle of my new second floor stairwell. The current panel is up to code and was replaced by the previous owner only a couple years ago and is in a very ideal spot in the House, so moving the panel is not a good idea and would be much more costly than it would be worth. I want to put up the new meter and service approximately 25’ (as the wire would travel) away from the old panel and have the new meter panel have a main disconnect. My current panel is a 200 amp service. I want run from the new meter to the old panel the same service and I am wondering what size wire this should be. I have looked it up but I am slightly confused about the drop in amperage over the travel. I know that I will have to place new grounding rods for the new meter and I realize my old panel will now have to be fed by a 4 wire and I will have to split the neutral and ground bus in the old panel as it will be treated like a sub panel. I was thinking a 4-4-4-6 aluminum service wire would be ok but then I read an article that said it should be a 2-2-2-4. Please give me any feed back you have on this matter. I really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your information and time.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-17-2017, 07:17 AM   #2
This space for lease

Rewards Points: 4,628

Re: Electrical Help. Remote Panel

Wrong forum but wouldn't you need to permit that? What if there was afire and they discovered it? The insurance company might just back away.

Advertisement

Old 12-17-2017, 08:03 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 2,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangoWA View Post
Wrong forum but wouldn't you need to permit that? What if there was afire and they discovered it? The insurance company might just back away.
Yes sir. Wrong forum. Should be moved to diy

Old 12-17-2017, 08:05 AM   #4
Pro

Rewards Points: 2,014

By the way OP, neither is correct. Hire a professional.
The Following User Says Thank You to TxElectrician For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 11:43 AM   #5

Apparently this forum was the wrong spot. Sorry for that. However, I have been a licensed builder for over 20 years and am working on my own home. I came here because I was told this was a useful forum with professional subscribers. In Washington state as the owner of the home I can do all my own electrical including the service change out and I already have a permit. I was just making sure my design was correct so I ran the correct wire. Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:02 PM   #6
PCI

Trade: contractor
Rewards Points: 848

Just because you are allowed to do it, doesn't me you should or are capable.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:12 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 7,001

Your wire sizing ideas are scaring me, and I'm a dumb brickie...

I think you are conflating OVERHEAD outside in the open air "service" wires with wires that will be stuffed into a conduit to run through the house to 'old' panel????

Thus if you add no new loads for the addition....really? 200 Ampere service here starts with 4/0 x 3 Al AWG or 2/0 x 3 for copper AWG. 6 gauge Copper for the ground for 200 Amps....

You might need 2.5" pipe for the Al wire......

I'd think a new panel for the addition feed from the disconnect box, or make the new panel 200+ Amps to feed the existing and new circuits if you are staying air born with the service entrance wires instead upgrading to buried wire.....

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 12-17-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:03 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Systems
Rewards Points: 1,556

Just wire it up how ever you want the power Co isn't going to turn back on your service without your work passing an inspection.

When it fails inspection just ask the inspector how it should have been done and do it again.

There are plenty of times I can say I have slept easier at night because I hired a pro to deak with a situation for me also means I can chew out someone else if it goes wrong.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2017, 12:04 AM   #9

I am not quite sure what type of group this is but as a professional builder with twenty plus years in the field I am fairly appalled at the attitudes that have been presented in the responses. I realize that I wrongly posted in the incorrect forum, but the misinformation and rudeness that followed shocked me. To follow up: I spoke with the state electrical inspector and called a friend of mines electrician to run my design and plan by them. The design was in fact correct and I have since installed and had my service change over completed. I passed inspection with no changes required. I emailed a copy of this thread to both of the electrical experts and they were also shocked at the incorrect information and misunderstanding about the process and the design requirements. They were also surprised at the general attitude. Thanks for helping me decide not to be a part of this forum for any future discussions of any type. I hope that maybe you will be a little more kind in future so that others that mistakenly stumble into this group don’t get the wrong impression about “professional” contractors.
The Following User Says Thank You to ffweston For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (12-30-2017)
Old 12-30-2017, 06:07 AM   #10
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 2,150

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffweston View Post
I am not quite sure what type of group this is but as a professional builder with twenty plus years in the field I am fairly appalled at the attitudes that have been presented in the responses. I realize that I wrongly posted in the incorrect forum, but the misinformation and rudeness that followed shocked me. To follow up: I spoke with the state electrical inspector and called a friend of mines electrician to run my design and plan by them. The design was in fact correct and I have since installed and had my service change over completed. I passed inspection with no changes required. I emailed a copy of this thread to both of the electrical experts and they were also shocked at the incorrect information and misunderstanding about the process and the design requirements. They were also surprised at the general attitude. Thanks for helping me decide not to be a part of this forum for any future discussions of any type. I hope that maybe you will be a little more kind in future so that others that mistakenly stumble into this group don’t get the wrong impression about “professional” contractors.
We are all a bunch of biotches sometimes.

Glad you got it worked out.

You are a "One Post Pro". Means we don't know your from any other DIY poser. For that matter, still don't. "25 years experience". Easy to type.

Means nothing. Earn your stripes, or go cry somewhere else.

Pussy attitudes like yours won't survive in the business world, so you are still waaaay down on the "believability list".
HAND.

Oh yeah, one more thing: google "paragraph" and learn how to use them. fkn stream of gibberish crap. gaaaaak.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
Sgt7546 (12-30-2017), Stryker1-1 (12-30-2017)
Old 12-30-2017, 10:24 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Systems
Rewards Points: 1,556

So your angry that the responses you got was hire a professional for your safety and the safety of others.

Ya that's terrible advice

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2017, 10:49 AM   #12
This space for lease

Rewards Points: 4,628

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffweston View Post
What a cry baby. You got good advice here, apparently not what you wanted though. What appallingly bad information was offered? See a pro, like you finally did? Who does a major project based on a discussion forum? Nobody.
The Following User Says Thank You to RangoWA For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (12-30-2017)
Old 12-31-2017, 02:56 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 12

Amperage drop? I hope those inspectors were better than some that I see. Sounds like you have a googley idea of how electricity works.

Advertisement