Dimming Lights In House

Old 01-02-2004, 02:41 PM   #1

Dimming Lights In House

I'm having a problem in my home with lights dimming. I have checked the ground connection to the cold water system, main panel for loose connections, meter socket for loose connections. I was unable to check the ground connection at the rod outside because its buried too deep. I performed a test using a 1250 watt hair dryer to put a load on a branch circuit that was on phase A. The voltage without the hair dryer on was 121.3, when I turned the hair dryer on, the voltage dropped to 119.8. I performed the same test of phase B and the voltage was 122.6 with the hair dryer off and 121.4 when the hair dryer was turned on. I also checked the voltage across A and B phase, it was 243.9, then I turned the hair dryer on and the voltage dropped to 242.8. I called the power company, and they told me if they can't find the problem, I would be billed for the crew's time. Any input from you on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

The testing was performed with a fluke 87 true rms multimeter.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-02-2004, 02:44 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Founder of Contractor Talk
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Dimming Lights In House

I'll let an electrician answer.

But, please sign your posts so we know who you are...
Better yet, Register!

Thanks

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
Old 01-06-2004, 10:57 PM   #3

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
I'm having a problem in my home with lights dimming. I have checked the ground connection to the cold water system, main panel for loose connections, meter socket for loose connections. I was unable to check the ground connection at the rod outside because its buried too deep. I performed a test using a 1250 watt hair dryer to put a load on a branch circuit that was on phase A. The voltage without the hair dryer on was 121.3, when I turned the hair dryer on, the voltage dropped to 119.8. I performed the same test of phase B and the voltage was 122.6 with the hair dryer off and 121.4 when the hair dryer was turned on. I also checked the voltage across A and B phase, it was 243.9, then I turned the hair dryer on and the voltage dropped to 242.8. I called the power company, and they told me if they can't find the problem, I would be billed for the crew's time. Any input from you on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

The testing was performed with a fluke 87 true rms multimeter.
do the lights dim only when major appliances come on??? if so it sounds like a voltage problem not with the power co. but the wire size (awg) feeding the major appliances.ex--a/c, heat, dry,H2O heater maby. question are the appliances far from the power sorce?? make sure your service conductors are the proper size (2/0--3/0--4/0--500kcmil etc............

Old 02-16-2004, 03:51 PM   #4

Angry

Quote:
do the lights dim only when major appliances come on??? if so it sounds like a voltage problem not with the power co. but the wire size (awg) feeding the major appliances.ex--a/c, heat, dry,H2O heater maby. question are the appliances far from the power sorce?? make sure your service conductors are the proper size (2/0--3/0--4/0--500kcmil etc............
The lights will dim when the well pump turns on ,clothes dryer.I can plug a hand held hair dryer into any receptical in the house and the lights will dim.

Old 02-16-2004, 03:55 PM   #5

Quote:
The lights will dim when the well pump turns on ,clothes dryer.I can plug a hand held hair dryer into any receptical in the house and the lights will dim.
Iforgot to mention that the service is 200amps and the feeder size is 4/0 aluminum.All connections are tight .