Challenger Panels

Old 04-21-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
Service & Repairs

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 2,000

Challenger Panels

I have a job coming up where I need to re-mount a panel and install the approriate circuit breakers in an old Challenger panel. Which circuit breakers can I use if I cannot find Challengers?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-21-2007, 09:47 PM   #2
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service

Re: Challenger Panels

The Cutler Hammer BR breakers are the correct replacement for a Challenger panel. See this letter from the UL:

http://www.eatonelectrical.com/unsec...T08703012E.PDF

Old 04-22-2007, 01:22 AM   #3
Service & Repairs

Thanks, Marc!

I appreciate that brother!
Old 04-22-2007, 10:03 AM   #4
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service

It's a good idea to have that letter in your stash of paperwork on the truck. At least twice now I've had to educate an electrical inspector to that fact. I've started to tape a copy inside Westinghouse and Challenger panels when I use a BR breaker, because home inspectors call out panels with mix-and-match breakers (rightfully so, most times, but just not in this case). The just might save the future seller from any grief.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:57 PM   #5

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 10

I also leave a copy of something similar to this taped inside the panel door for anybody that might have a questions. My supply house has the paperwork from CH they hand out if you ask.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:44 PM   #6
Philadelphia electrician

Trade: Electrical contractor
Rewards Points: 250

If you have to "remount" the old challenger panel, I would get rid of it and install a new panel.
I wouldn't risk the old main breaker for the small saving
Old 04-27-2007, 04:47 PM   #7
Service & Repairs

Jobs already done.

I could easily do a Google search, but for conversations sake, were there problems with the old Challenger MB's?
Old 10-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #8

Trade: Service Electrician
Rewards Points: 10

While a Cutler Hammer BR breaker is an obvious replacement for Challenger, the ONLY breaker that has been tested,approved and classified to be interchangable in any manufacturer's panel is a Cutler Hammer CL or "classified" breaker.These are classified to fit in any panel with plug in breakers. There are a couple of types..one's that will fit in GE,Cutler Hammer BR,Bryant,Challenger,Seimens,Murray,Square D Homeline,Etc.The other type of CL breaker is made exclusively for Square D QO panels.How ever, GE, Seimens,Murray, and Homeline, and QO , and Cutler Hammer BR panels and breakers still exist so it's cheaper to buy the breaker for that panel as the CL breakers are more expensive.If you have a Challenger or Bryant or Westinghouse panel, I strongly recommend replacing the panel with a Square D QO or a Cutler Hammer CH series panel.These are the 2 best on the market for your home and are of commercial grade.I replace more Challengers and Bryants with burnt buss bars than I do even the old Federal Pacifics.Also if the panel is over 25 Years old,it's time to consider replacing it.