Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Adding external controller and pump to water heater circuit?

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  thom 
#1 ·
External controller and pump parallel on water heater circuit?

I’m doing a few solar heaters that don’t have a 120v receptacle near the heater. I usually use a 120v controller, pump and motorized check valve and plug them into a separate 120v circuit from the 240v water heater heating resistance heating circuit. In this install, I was wondering if I could install a j-box on the heater whip and use a 240v controller, pump, and motorized valve. I was told by another solar contractor this cannot be done as the NEC only allows the heater it self to be on it’s own circuit. The additional equipment that I would be adding would not push the ampacity over the limit (no where even close in fact). We are talking about and extra .33 amps on a 30 amp heater circuit that is originally pulling 18.75 amps.

Anything illegal about that?

#3 ·
Going back to 1978ish I recall working on one of those solar hybrid houses where the solar guy tried to do something like you stated. Inspector said no. Separate circuit for pump & controls. Not even sure if same codes would apply. At least I remembered it.:whistling

#4 ·
You might get closer to what you want to do by turning the existing water heater circuit into a feed to a sub panel, then split it up. Of course you will still need to insure you aren't overloading the sub panel.

#6 ·
I don't know your set-up. A sub would go in place of the J-box, not in front of it. It will need the proper wire size, the proper attachments, and the proper access. This is really best done by an electrician. Like other things, it's the things you don't know that will get you. It might sound just fine from a description over the internet but there may be something that creates a problem that would only be seen by a trade professional.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.