Wet Sanding Drywall

Old 12-04-2010, 08:46 AM   #1

Trade: General Contractor

Wet Sanding Drywall

I have heard that drywallers can use a wet sponge instead of sand paper to prevent dust. I have tried it and cannot get the seams to look good. Is there a secret to doing this? Do you have to use the mesh instead of the paper tape? Can wet/dry sand paper be used instead of a sponge? I have to replace the drywall on just one wall on a kitchen remold job. Help.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
SEMI RETIRED

Trade: General Contractor

Re: Wet Sanding Drywall

I have used a sponge & towel. Start slowly to dampen the dried mud. Work in long light strokes. Pretty quick the mud will soften and you can feather it out as desired. Start with your sponge just slightly damp & moisten little by little until it starts to work. Doesn't take much. Don't forget to rinse out the sponge every so often. Good Luck.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #3

Trade: drywall

I have never had any Luck wet sanding the only thing I do with a wet sponge it
Old 12-04-2010, 10:59 PM   #4

Trade: drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgen
I have never had any Luck wet sanding the only thing I do with a wet sponge it
Is feather in patch jobs if you are only replacing one wall in a kitchen you aren't gunna produce enough dust to worry about if you mask the floor to catch the small amount of dust that will fall just sand slow and watch it fall
Old 12-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: carpenter/ handyman

Here is another thread on the same topic:
http://www.contractortalk.com/f49/we...sanding-75810/
note: Still waiting on Raven's input
Steve
Old 12-07-2010, 08:08 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Painting
Send a message via AIM to boman47k

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgen View Post
Is feather in patch jobs if you are only replacing one wall in a kitchen you aren't gunna produce enough dust to worry about if you mask the floor to catch the small amount of dust that will fall just sand slow and watch it fall
It seems sometimes I can just look at dw and just think about sanding it, and dust gets all over everything.

I have caught the mud just right before it dries completely and sanded with a wet sponge and had good luck.

I have a small foyer ceiling I skimmed to sand. I will use a wet drywall sponge on it. Lots of rinsing, but very little dust to cover the rest of the house.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #7

Trade: Remodeling

i've never had much luck with with wet sanding either. for small drywall jobs in finished spaces i like the dust control joint compound. it still produces dust when you sand it, but tends to fall more straight down rather then all over the place.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:39 AM   #8
Drywall Texture

Trade: Drywall Texture and popcorn removal professional

wet sanding is more usefull for using quick set mud. because of how fast it hardens, its hard to sand regularly, so you let the stuff set up and wet sand it with that sponge to help ease the edges for quick patching. there is no sense in wet sanding regular mud. just deal with the dust or use a power sander with the dust sucker hooked up, and wear a mask of course.