Transitioning Drywall With Cement Board

Old 10-30-2005, 06:16 PM   #1

Trade: Plumbing
Rewards Points: 10

Transitioning Drywall With Cement Board

I'm remodeling a bathroom that was totally gutted. I installed a two-piece fiberglass tub/shower unit. I'm getting ready to hang board, and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to install cement board above where the shower walls end (and possibly even the ceiling above the shower).

Please note that I do not plan on tiling this area; it will simply be finished with paint. I just think putting cement board instead of drywall will reduce the potential for water damage.

But, my main concern is, how difficult would it be during the taping/compounding phase to transition from regular drywall to cement board? I'm only hanging the board, but will be hiring a professional to do the taping/finishing. Would the person have to skim-coat drywall compound over the entire surface of the cement board just to get it as smooth as the drywall (although I think Hardie backer has a more smooth surface than Durock, for example).

Or, would I just be better off having the room finished with veneer plaster?

I appreciate your advice.

-Ken the Plumber

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-30-2005, 09:23 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Transitioning Drywall With Cement Board

Personally I don't see the cost/benefit to it, if the bathroom is ventilated properly there should be no problem using water-resistant drywall there.

However if you want it bullet proof, I would use Den Shield, fiber tape and setting compound.

Old 10-31-2005, 04:03 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,030

Keep in mind, you can only use Moisture Resistant (M-R) drywall on walls, - - not on ceilings, - - or it will soon 'sag' from it's own weight.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:23 PM   #4
The Deck Guy

Trade: Outdoor Design & Construction
Send a message via AIM to Greg Di

I would use GP DensArmor Plus. Like Mike said, DensShield is absolutely bulletproof, but it's complete overkill. DAP is highly water resistant and is mold resistent unlike green board that is, well, green an that's about it compared to DAP. You can hang DAP on the ceiling too and it tapes just like regular rock.

I have not used greenboard in a bathroom since using DAP.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:27 PM   #5
Justanotherdumbdrywaller

Trade: Wallsystems
Rewards Points: 75

If you are not going to tile, just use green board, that's what it's there for. Good Luck.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:43 PM   #6

Trade: Pavers / Patios

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardslinger
If you are not going to tile, just use green board, that's what it's there for. Good Luck.

White board is just as good. It really is all just about using the right paint.

I've heard way too many arguments of green board being useless for it to be rumor alone...

Besides - I hate working with the heavier board. And having it around is just dangerous incase you are running out and "really want to get that ceiling up". Its better to just go white board all around in the bathroom besides tiling surfaces.

Just my opinion, take it or leave it.

-Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to Knyte260 For This Useful Post:
TiM Management (11-08-2013)
Old 12-01-2005, 04:17 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor

In Hawaii, green board is required to pass code in bathrooms.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:17 PM   #8
Justanotherdumbdrywaller

I thik in every state green board is code. And remember what Tom said, it is not rated for lids.

There is always rumors about what works and what doesn't work. But if white board is used where green should be there will be one h#ll of a problem in your walls. I've seen enough of this from DIYers who thought the same thing. Oh white board should be good enough.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:46 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

Brian, this is going to kill you. I have 5 remods going on in Martin Downs and today I dictated that sheetrock will no longer be used in baths, all of it is crap in wet/damp situations. I can elaborate in detail, with pictures, as I intend to do with the building dept. here.

Albert Einstein
Old 12-04-2005, 04:21 PM   #10
Justanotherdumbdrywaller

Teetor, in your neck of the woods I will buy that. but there are still ways to keep using rock vs. wonderlessboard, when tile is not being applied. using a good sealer after fire taping and glazing, is just one way. Applying a moisture barrier between a surround and the rock is another, there are other alternatives. But like I said in your area with it's constant heat and humidity, I know rock doesn't fair to well. It's just in most normal climent cases, wonderless board is not always the answer. Especially once it starts to deteriorate, due to leaks, and we all know that over the coarse of a few years, there will be water behind the shower and in the wall.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:22 PM   #11

Trade: General contractor/Handyman services

When I rock around a surround tub (one piece) I just leave a 1/4" gap in the lip of the surround and then fill it with caulking after the painting is done. Is this the type of moisture barrier that you are refering to? Or do you butt up to the surround tub differently than I do? I've seen work where the rock seems to be mudded right up to the surround, but I would think that would draw in moisture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardslinger View Post
Teetor, in your neck of the woods I will buy that. but there are still ways to keep using rock vs. wonderlessboard, when tile is not being applied. using a good sealer after fire taping and glazing, is just one way. Applying a moisture barrier between a surround and the rock is another, there are other alternatives. But like I said in your area with it's constant heat and humidity, I know rock doesn't fair to well. It's just in most normal climent cases, wonderless board is not always the answer. Especially once it starts to deteriorate, due to leaks, and we all know that over the coarse of a few years, there will be water behind the shower and in the wall.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:03 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Residential General
Rewards Points: 250

Use whatever you want, but some 1/8" furring strips eliminate that uneven rock the shower nailing flange causes.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:11 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Lic. GC/Remodr - Commercial/Residential/Industrial

Rookie john, the MR barrier is something that the manufacturer's actually instruct: I can't directly recall the sight read off of but basically it said:

Prior to installing the cement board, you should install a vapor retarder in the form of 15 lb roof felt - (overlapping the felt's edges appropriately at the seams) - This would be installed over the surrounding enclosure's bare wood/steel studs....ONLY on the walls and the areas of those walls that the cement board will be added to....

I'm too tired tonight to do the find the link to back this up...but it is out there...
Old 03-27-2007, 09:12 PM   #14
Pro

Rookie john,....

You should apply the caulking as well...in all seams and at the tub or shower pan intersection....But as stated, this is not the vapor barrier spoken of..see previous post...

Good night...
Old 03-27-2007, 09:40 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Drywall, Plaster,Interior Demolitions,Small Repairs
Rewards Points: 150

Green board and all those other boards are simply overrated. Avoid the moisture problem and you'll never have a drywall problem. Also......it wouldn't matter if you used cardboard........the paint is what shields it from the elements. If moisture is getting through the paint......than control the moisture. The best drywall in the world isn't gonna make a moisture problem any better. Control the true culprit....Moisture.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1KingOfDrywall For This Useful Post:
Ancient Rocker (10-29-2013)
Old 03-29-2007, 07:49 PM   #16

Trade: General contractor/Handyman services

AtlanticWBConst,
Thanks for the time on this. I understand what your saying. I put a moisture barrier on the studs already. I wish there was a different way to fill the void between the rock and the fiberglass though other than caulk.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:53 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieJohn View Post
AtlanticWBConst,
Thanks for the time on this. I understand what your saying. I put a moisture barrier on the studs already. I wish there was a different way to fill the void between the rock and the fiberglass though other than caulk.
There is....If you are installing cement board there, I can only assume that you plan on installing tile?...or somekind of surround?

Either way....apply fiberglass mesh tape to the seams and then mix up a batch of thinset. (Apply the thinset over all seams - as you would do with joint compound on sheetrock seams)
Old 03-01-2008, 11:28 PM   #18
eileenkq

Trade: Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Di View Post
I would use GP DensArmor Plus. Like Mike said, DensShield is absolutely bulletproof, but it's complete overkill. DAP is highly water resistant and is mold resistent unlike green board that is, well, green an that's about it compared to DAP. You can hang DAP on the ceiling too and it tapes just like regular rock.

I have not used greenboard in a bathroom since using DAP.
Thanks for introducing those alternatives. I was only aware of drywall, paperless drywall, greenboard and duroc. After some research (thanks to your suggestions), I also found Georgia Pacific's Dens Armour Plus which is also mold resistant because it has "a glass-mat surface on both the front and the back." (from GP's website) There's also Georgia Pacific's "DensShield tile backer...a mold-resistant tile backer board with fiberglass-mat facings and a unique acrylic coating that blocks moisture from entering the wall or floor cavity." (from GP's website)

I think I'll use the latter in my most recent project because of the mold on the entire back of the drywall and on the front of the bottom. The problem went undetected until I took off the moldings to install ceramic tile on concrete.

Like the person initiating this thread, I was hesitant to use durock because I wanted to paint the finished project. Again, thanks for offering other choices.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:52 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeler
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KingOfDrywall View Post
Green board and all those other boards are simply overrated. Avoid the moisture problem and you'll never have a drywall problem. Also......it wouldn't matter if you used cardboard........the paint is what shields it from the elements. If moisture is getting through the paint......than control the moisture. The best drywall in the world isn't gonna make a moisture problem any better. Control the true culprit....Moisture.
Absolutely 110% correct.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:05 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: DRYWALL PROFESSIONAL
Rewards Points: 1,418

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KingOfDrywall View Post
I once did a basement where we used dens armor on the bottom 4' of the wall and did the rest in reg 1/2" drywall (customer request). We finished and the painters primed. The basement flooded for two weeks. The mold was everywhere except where the dens armor was. This is an extreme example with abnormal conditions. But the board does make a difference not the paint.