Texture Over Wallpaper

Old 08-30-2007, 11:39 AM   #1

Trade: Dry wall Hanger taper and texture
Rewards Points: 75

Texture Over Wallpaper

HO wanted to save money by texturing over wallpaper and just what I warned them could happen, happened. The moister in the texture created large bubbles from were the wallpaper wasn’t adhered to the wall. Now I’m looking for solutions for the problem. I really don’t want to cut out the bubbles and retexture. I thought about taking a hypodermic needle and syringe filled with glue and injecting the bubbles then pressing them back to the wall. Are there any other ideas out there?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-30-2007, 02:45 PM   #2

Trade: painting
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Texture Over Wallpaper

If you prime the wallpaper with an oil base primer before you texture, it should seal the wall and not let in moisture and thats what causes bubbles.
Occasionally, the wall will still bubble even with priming. In that case you will probably have to cut out the bubbles and repair. When homeowners want a shortcut to save money just let them know what might happen and that it may cost extra if there is a problem.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:26 PM   #3

No I did not prime first. The walls had numerous coats of old paint.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:48 PM   #4

Trade: Painting

Paint store should have a needle kit for injecting the glue.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:27 PM   #5

Trade: drywall remodeling new con.

I textured over wallpaper in my brothers house and it did the same thing. It bubbled so big in some spots that I was afraid it would fall right off the ceiling. Amazingly though I didn’t have to do anything to fix it, the problem took care of itself as it dried they just shrank back into place. I would say give it a little time see what happens.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:31 PM   #6

Trade: drywall remodeling new con.

I textured over wallpaper in my brothers house and it did the same thing. It bubbled so big in some spots that I was afraid it would fall right off the ceiling. Amazingly though I didn’t have to do anything to fix it, the problem toke care of itself as it dried they just shrank back into place. I would say give it a little time see what happens.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:50 AM   #7

Trade: Taper Plus

I would be careful with the needles thingif you fill the voids with glue that you can't squeeze out real well because of the texture than you will have a problem. 90% of the time them bubbles will go away. It depends on how much paint was under the bubbles and how much is on top of the bubbles trapping them.
I have tried to cheat the system more than once and you always get bubbles. The moisture just makes that paper swell up. What really works is to use a paper tiger and prime it with Guards. This stuff is so thin it seems to find its way in everywhere sealing things up , also makes a mess because it so thin, work from the bottom up so you are pushing it uphill, wear a raincoat on the ceilings ha ha. Like the guy before me I would wait it out a bit because I'll bet they go away. But if you paint it later with water-based paint they will be back again for a while.

Jimmy
Old 08-31-2007, 02:47 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies. As stated 99% did go away and HOs are happy with that.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:05 PM   #9
MFWIC

Trade: house painter
Rewards Points: 250

I just found out this morning the HO did NOT follow my shopping list...
She brought me a 5 of oil based primer to go over the really crappy 25yr old wallpaper in a mobile, instead of PVA that I asked for.

It may be better.
Painters smarter than me say so...
Just not into it.
And not set up for it.

I have good luck using a lite coat of PVA, then following it with another to seal off the surface well from the wet latex that shall be applied over it.

Or texture.
Makes no difference if it's sealed.

Most blisters will go away. Some don't.
I shave them off, spot the texture/paint, if really needed.
Usually not.

After all, it's a quick fix to save bucks.
Wallpaper really should be stripped... major PITA.
r
Old 09-08-2007, 06:00 PM   #10

Trade: DRYWALL
Rewards Points: 25

i always piss coat the whole wall then you can tell where the paper is bubbled before spraying... it will not take long to cut out the bubble and then piss coat over the bad spots and re-spray... very easy to do.... next time take a 12" nife and some green mud and spread all over wall and wipe off.. then you will c all the bad spots that need to be covered before you spray... of course everybody has diff. ways of doing it. hope this helps
Old 09-08-2007, 10:52 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: drywall applications
Rewards Points: 520

HO wanted to save money by texturing over wallpaper and just what I warned them could happen, happened. The moister in the texture created large bubbles from were the wallpaper wasn’t adhered to the wall.

-----------------

even if the wallpaper was adhered to the wall 100% the moisture from the mud still losens up the clay and the wallpapere then becomes lose, as the mud dries it shrinks pulling at the wallpaper away from the wall.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:02 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco
Rewards Points: 1,096

I swear some HO's if they had a brain they would play with it. Why would someone apply texture or paint over wallpaper is beyond me.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:22 AM   #13

To save “money” and “time".
Old 09-13-2007, 11:23 PM   #14
Average Joe

Trade: Design/Build
Rewards Points: 506

I don't know how big of an area you're working on, but I would charge probably $100 to remove the wallpaper, 1-2 rooms. I could do 2 rooms in like 2 hours max.

wtf is 1oo bucks? are people that cheap?.........Oh wait a minute, I already know the answer.

I'm either getting too old or I need to change my occupation. I would not have been "courteous" to those people....they have no concept. Effin people

I get personally offended whenever people suggest ideas to "save time and money".

I wonder how these people deal with their doctor, dentist or mechanics. Do they suggest helpful "time saving" ideas there too?
Old 09-14-2007, 11:34 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling

Please tell me how you remove wall paper and the glue in a room in an hour or less!!??

I just did a small bathroom with a steamer and one of those scarifying hockey pucks and it took a lot longer than one hour. Pulling the paper was quick and easy, it was the under layer and glue that too more time.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:02 PM   #16
Average Joe

Trade: Design/Build
Rewards Points: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgphoto View Post
Please tell me how you remove wall paper and the glue in a room in an hour or less!!??

I just did a small bathroom with a steamer and one of those scarifying hockey pucks and it took a lot longer than one hour. Pulling the paper was quick and easy, it was the under layer and glue that too more time.

Yeah, I soak the wall with wallpaper remover solution with a painting roller. Let it sit for like 20 mins, then scrape it off with a knife. Comes off like a breeze.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:01 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Professional Painting Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidejobs View Post
No I did not prime first. The walls had numerous coats of old paint.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:03 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Professional Painting Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage View Post
Yeah, I soak the wall with wallpaper remover solution with a painting roller. Let it sit for like 20 mins, then scrape it off with a knife. Comes off like a breeze.
So I take it youve never removed wallpaper that hasnt been sized. Lucky you.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:01 AM   #19

Trade: general contractor

I dint bother to paper tiger or prim. i simply used a lighter grade of joint compound and spread two coats of mud ovwr the wall paper. this was a large office i was doing. There were only about six bubles that came up only after the first coat. i simply cut around them, removed the square of wallpaper and muded over it and continued. When i was done a had myself a nice new wall canvas and no one could tell even before i textured that there had ever ben wall paper at all. HOWEVER the right way to do things is to REMOVE the wallpaper and then skim coat the now bare wall. This IS the only (right) way to do it. Any other way and there are risked depending on different factors such as idiocy, condition of wallpaper, if its applied on lathe board or not...ect. A good steamer and paper tiger will remove even the toughest wall paper if you take your time and let the steam do its work. i know often it is slow going and everyone complains about (the cost) Since it was MY office i did it the wrong way. But i would refuse if a client asked me to do it to save a few bucks. Either do it right or dont do it as far as doing work for a client. If you are a contractor and practice things like painting over wallpaper, what other corners will you cut? It simply is not proffesional to do any detailor repar work ect any other way than the way you know its suppose to be done. Then none can say with anything but ignorance about it being done wrong. Plus the right way always gives predictable results versus the moronic way which will be self evident that some one dint know squate about what they were doing.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:09 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Home repairs,drywall,trim. Mesh addict.
Rewards Points: 3,018

WOW! My eyes hurt.