Tape And Texture

Old 04-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: homeowner
Rewards Points: 10

Tape And Texture

Here it goes. My family just purchased an older home. We have been working with architechts, structural engineers, contractors and speciliasts for the last four months. We started demo last week and all is going great. We requested bids from framer, floor professional, tile professional, electricians and plumbers, hvac and painters. All pretty much time and materials because it is a gut remodel of an older home so many, many, many suprises will pop up. We reviewed multiple bids from each speciality and made our decisions with each. We ended up basically going with the highest bid to second highest bid in each profession for multiple reasons.......liked previous work, good relationship and realistic figures (not bidding to just get the job). I have one question. I will know the answer sometime next week but just want to know what to expect. My contractor will just hang the sheetrock and greenrock. He referred us to a tape and texture professional to do the finishing. We will be going with him but I just want know what I should expect. I do not expect estimates from anyone just a ballpark figure since I have no idea. I will and probably deserve flame reponses. This is just more of wanting to know now what I will find out in the next few days. I know alot goes into each project so the basics are as follows: tape and texture in a remodel home in small plains state. Thanks for any responses.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-19-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
Darren@Partners

Trade: Drywall Contractor
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Tape And Texture

This is a site for professionals. Most posters here are unlikely to give you a straight answer. You did not include a location. Someone here might be inclined to give you a quote on doing the work but this ain'y Craigs list....

Advertisement

Old 04-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: drywall contractor
Rewards Points: 500

What are you asking? I would give you a solid number per foot of rock hung.
Not that tough. Drywall doesn't have many surprises. If the guy does a decent job of hanging. Pretty simple. Do you know how much rock will be used?
Old 04-19-2009, 09:55 PM   #4
New Guy

I guess just wondering what to expect. Like I said earlier I am not a professional so maybe I should just pass. Sorry for that. We live in a small plains state and a small community. I will find out the tape and texture professionals cost in a few days but just wanted to know what to expect. We are having mulitple rooms done but our basement is probably the best example. Our contractor will be installing about 5000 square feet of sheetrock (103 units of 4X12x5/8). He will be doing the hanging in a large square room. Thanks again.

Came across this site tonight for the first time. I am also a small business owner that provides professional services so I understand the trepidation. I will find out the answer in a few days. The question was more of a result of my "want the answers now" type phobia.

Take Care

Last edited by walterfielding; 04-19-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #5
Pro

I bet you'll be looking 1800.00 to 2500.00. I'd be 2400 for material and labor to tape, fill, skim, sand and texture or skim and smooth.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
New Guy

Thank you for the response. I understand it is hard to do apples to apples but I just wanted some type of idea since i have no idea if it will be cost 100 dollars or 100,000 dollars. This professional is highly recommended by our contractor and we feel very comfortable taking his recommendations. Quality work is always worth much much more than the pound of cure. This is a home we plan on raising our family so quality craftmanship is more important than the bottom line.

Thanks
Old 04-19-2009, 10:45 PM   #7
Pro

We all wish the people we work for were as reasonably thinking as you are. Kudos to you!!
Old 04-20-2009, 12:37 AM   #8
Butt Expert

Trade: Drywall
Rewards Points: 250

Wow, a straight up HO>

Let us know how it turns out for you...
Old 04-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
New Guy

got my answer. Ended up being about .65 cents (tape and texture) for the project. The professional comes highly recommended from contractor and he will start as soon as he has an opening. Didn't get other quotes since i was impressed with his previous jobs.

Thanks again
Old 05-03-2009, 01:47 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: drywall applications
Rewards Points: 520

i highlly recommend having the drywall crew do both the hanging and taping and dont let the hangers put on any beads.

reason being evertime ive taped behind framers etc they always over ran the edges where the outside corners meet and they always use goofy screws with different bits, and they always think they need screws that are an inch longer and 3 times the thickness deck screws , i did a habbitat once hung by framers and my wrist was sore for 3 months after turning in all those screws . let real rockers hang it that know what thyere doing that have the right screw guns and having an older house with hard dried out wood is even more important to not using bigger screws than you need 1-1/4 drywall screws is all it takes , carpenters tend to over buiild things ,with drywall this is not neccesay and can cause headaches.

Last edited by oldrivers; 05-03-2009 at 01:58 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:41 AM   #11
Profit is not dirty.

Trade: Residential Drywall and Taping
Rewards Points: 250

Dont use the "green board" around wet area's...it will delaminate, and cause you greef...and GP no longer will garentee if it is used around wet areas.

Advertisement