Suspended Ceiling

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2006, 09:46 PM   #1
Master Craftsman
 
Big Dave's Avatar
 
Trade: Rustic interior woodwork
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southwest Mo.
Posts: 666
Rewards Points: 500

Suspended Ceiling


Does anybody do suspended ceiling and if you do what do you get per square foot in your area for an 8 foot ceiling?

Dave.
__________________
Do one thing at a time, do it well, then move on.
http://www.bigdaveswoodworks.com
Big Dave is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 06-07-2006, 10:36 PM   #2
Pro
 
Joasis's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hennessey, Oklahoma
Posts: 8,701
Rewards Points: 806

Re: Suspended Ceiling


$2 a sq/ft if we are installing the grid, placing the panels, ect. Insulation is a little more.

Advertisement

Joasis is offline  
Old 06-08-2006, 09:13 PM   #3
Pro
 
Bob Kovacs's Avatar
 
Trade: Consultant
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Holly Springs, GA
Posts: 1,221
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Suspended Ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave
Does anybody do suspended ceiling and if you do what do you get per square foot in your area for an 8 foot ceiling?

Dave.
A lot depends on which grid system and which tile are selected. 2x2 takes a little more time than 2x4, and tegular edge tiles can burn up alot of tilme when cutting in border tiles. Tile prices also vary wildly.

Here in NJ, we see ceilings as low as $2/SF and as high as $5-6/SF or more.

Also bear in mind that if the area is small or cut up, you're not going to gain any speed as the job progresses- 10 100SF areas takes longer than one big 1,000 SF area.

Bob
Bob Kovacs is offline  
   
 
Old 06-09-2006, 01:32 AM   #4
Pro
 
theworx's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter by trade, lead man for commercial GC...
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 938
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Suspended Ceiling


I'm charging around $4.50 a sqr ft supply and install for 2x4 because the price of the grid has jumped about 1/3 in the last year... 2x2 add 25%. For reveal tile add another 25%... This is what I charge for commercial installs...
theworx is offline  
Old 06-09-2006, 09:21 PM   #5
Pro
 
go dart's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling/specializing in kitchen & baths
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: midwest
Posts: 851
Rewards Points: 578

Re: Suspended Ceiling


double the cost of drywall, includes tile allowence of 55c per ft
go dart is offline  
Old 06-10-2006, 09:27 AM   #6
Construction Estimator
 
DaveH's Avatar
 
Trade: Estimator
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Orlando Florida
Posts: 281
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Suspended Ceiling


Never throw a square foot price at something unless you know exactly what materials you are using. Here's how to estimate your cost....

#1 Figure your total square footage. When working with suspended ceilings (as with most construction materials) they come in even 2' incraments so always round up to your next even foot. Example -11' 3" becomes 12'. Take length times width rounding up. This is your footage of ceiling.

#2 Figure your main runners. Take your total footage and divide by 48 sq.ft. You have 1 12' main per every 48 SF. Always install your mains on 4' centers. Remember if you come up with 12.35 mains round them to 14 pcs. Always use comercial grid it cost about the same but with much better performance than residential grid.

#3 Figure your tees. You will have 6 tees for every main runner. 12 mains equals 72 4' tees and 72 2' tees (If it's a 2'x 2' ceiling).

#4 Figure your wire and lag screws. Your main runners will need to have a wire every 4'. If you have 12 main runners you will need 36 wires and lag screws. Figure the length of your wire by determining how for you are dropping. Example. your structure is at 10' your ceiling at 8' so you will need 2' for the drop plus an additional 1' each end for tying coming out then to a 4' wire. Your wire needs to be a 12 gauge galvenized. You can use stronger I.E. 8 or 9 gauge but it is not needed. Never make the "hobbiest" mistake of using 18 ga wire. it is not strong enough. Next comes your eye lag screws. Always use a eye lag in lieu of a nail or regular screw. Nails will pull out and regular screws or nails will not hold the wire in place. Use one eye lag per wire.

#5 Figure your wall angle. Measure all of your walls that are connected to the system. Example 130 lf of wall. Then divide it by the length of your angle. 130 feet divided by a 12' angle will come out to 10.833 pcs. I would round this to 12 pcs to make sure you have plenty.

#6 Figure your tile. This will be your total square footage minus any 2'x 2' lights or diffusers or 2'x 4' lights. You then need to know what type of tile is being used. Lets say it's a standard fissured tile with 64 SF per carton. You need to make sure your round up to the next full carton since tile is only sold in full bundles. Also allow for replacement tile. Most owners (residential or comercial) want some left over. Add that to your quantity.

#7 Find out what type of grid is required. They vary greatly in cost as do the tiles. Now you have all your materials and you can determine the cost associated with them.

#8 Next comes labor. This is all up to you. It depends on your proficiency. Figure up how much grid you or your labor can install in a manday and how much tile. Always allow for stocking - clean-up - a few problems etc. Multiply this by your daily rate per manday and add it with you materials and taxes. Apply your mark-up, and you are ready to go.

#9 Never throw a sq ft price at something...ANYTHING unless you know exactly what cost are intailed. I have priced acoustic ceilings from $1.45 per sf to well over 60 dollars per SF. Follow my method and make some money...
Dave
__________________
A buck a foot is not an estimate! It's a crap shoot!
DaveH is offline  
Old 06-10-2006, 06:20 PM   #7
Pro
 
AtlanticWBConst's Avatar
 
Trade: Lic. GC/Remodr - Commercial/Residential/Industrial
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 2,703
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Suspended Ceiling


Big Dave,

We used to do our own Suspended ceilings, until I found a company that: All they do are suspended ceilings. I faxed them over a few different job plans and they gave me a price. It turned out it was much more lucrative AND Faster - to sub the work out to them and for us to add our GC profit ontop.

-My 2 cents....
__________________
- Build Well -
AtlanticWBConst is offline  
Old 04-20-2007, 03:26 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Hey Ceiling Guy's Avatar
 
Trade: Acoustical Ceiling Installer
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Suspended Ceiling


Why don't you just charge T&M? Then you receive your wages and don't have the hassle.
Hey Ceiling Guy is offline  
Old 04-20-2007, 10:20 PM   #9
It's all about the Avatar
 
woodmagman's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,814
Rewards Points: 1,016

Re: Suspended Ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Ceiling Guy View Post
Why don't you just charge T&M? Then you receive your wages and don't have the hassle.
If someone came to me with a time and material proposal I would consider it providing all margins of profit were removed....no risk no reward...
woodmagman is offline  
Old 11-11-2008, 04:16 AM   #10
Pro
 
curapa's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry / Fencing / Decks
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, Ga
Posts: 1,249
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Suspended Ceiling


....
__________________
www.ParkerFenceandDeck.com

Last edited by curapa; 11-11-2008 at 06:11 PM.
curapa is offline  
Old 01-10-2018, 06:52 PM   #11
Registered User
 
ceilings1992's Avatar
 
Trade: Suspended Ceilings, Space Solutions
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 2

Re: Suspended Ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
Never throw a square foot price at something unless you know exactly what materials you are using. Here's how to estimate your cost....

#1 Figure your total square footage. When working with suspended ceilings (as with most construction materials) they come in even 2' incraments so always round up to your next even foot. Example -11' 3" becomes 12'. Take length times width rounding up. This is your footage of ceiling.

#2 Figure your main runners. Take your total footage and divide by 48 sq.ft. You have 1 12' main per every 48 SF. Always install your mains on 4' centers. Remember if you come up with 12.35 mains round them to 14 pcs. Always use comercial grid it cost about the same but with much better performance than residential grid.

#3 Figure your tees. You will have 6 tees for every main runner. 12 mains equals 72 4' tees and 72 2' tees (If it's a 2'x 2' ceiling).

#4 Figure your wire and lag screws. Your main runners will need to have a wire every 4'. If you have 12 main runners you will need 36 wires and lag screws. Figure the length of your wire by determining how for you are dropping. Example. your structure is at 10' your ceiling at 8' so you will need 2' for the drop plus an additional 1' each end for tying coming out then to a 4' wire. Your wire needs to be a 12 gauge galvenized. You can use stronger I.E. 8 or 9 gauge but it is not needed. Never make the "hobbiest" mistake of using 18 ga wire. it is not strong enough. Next comes your eye lag screws. Always use a eye lag in lieu of a nail or regular screw. Nails will pull out and regular screws or nails will not hold the wire in place. Use one eye lag per wire.

#5 Figure your wall angle. Measure all of your walls that are connected to the system. Example 130 lf of wall. Then divide it by the length of your angle. 130 feet divided by a 12' angle will come out to 10.833 pcs. I would round this to 12 pcs to make sure you have plenty.

#6 Figure your tile. This will be your total square footage minus any 2'x 2' lights or diffusers or 2'x 4' lights. You then need to know what type of tile is being used. Lets say it's a standard fissured tile with 64 SF per carton. You need to make sure your round up to the next full carton since tile is only sold in full bundles. Also allow for replacement tile. Most owners (residential or comercial) want some left over. Add that to your quantity.

#7 Find out what type of grid is required. They vary greatly in cost as do the tiles. Now you have all your materials and you can determine the cost associated with them.

#8 Next comes labor. This is all up to you. It depends on your proficiency. Figure up how much grid you or your labor can install in a manday and how much tile. Always allow for stocking - clean-up - a few problems etc. Multiply this by your daily rate per manday and add it with you materials and taxes. Apply your mark-up, and you are ready to go.

#9 Never throw a sq ft price at something...ANYTHING unless you know exactly what cost are intailed. I have priced acoustic ceilings from $1.45 per sf to well over 60 dollars per SF. Follow my method and make some money...
Dave

Blown it out the park Dave nice one couldn't have put it better myself.


-
Simon Hall
Suspended Ceilings Birmingham
0121 405 0934
https://www.justsuspendedceilings.co.uk/
ceilings1992 is offline  
Old 01-10-2018, 07:15 PM   #12
Pro
 
kirkdc's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling (mostly kitch/bath)
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Cripple Creek. CO
Posts: 412
Rewards Points: 1,746

Re: Suspended Ceiling


My days of estimating per sf are long gone. Way too many variables which can later bite you in the arse.

Materials, labor, profit= estimate

If you don't how long it's going to take, bid even higher.
kirkdc is online now  
Old 01-12-2018, 11:56 AM   #13
Pro
 
Anti-wingnut's Avatar
 
Trade: Commercial Superintendent
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,842
Rewards Points: 3,186

Re: Suspended Ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilings1992 View Post
Blown it out the park Dave nice one couldn't have put it better myself.
Dave's not here.

He made that post twelve years ago, and last visited CT in 2013
Anti-wingnut is offline  
Old 01-12-2018, 12:20 PM   #14
Pro
 
kirkdc's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling (mostly kitch/bath)
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Cripple Creek. CO
Posts: 412
Rewards Points: 1,746

Re: Suspended Ceiling


DOH !
kirkdc is online now  
Old 01-12-2018, 03:04 PM   #15
Pro
 
B.Johnson's Avatar
 
Trade: Builder
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Midwest
Posts: 618
Rewards Points: 466

Re: Suspended Ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
Dave's not here.

He made that post twelve years ago, and last visited CT in 2013
No man it's me; Dave.
__________________
Home Designer Series Software
B.Johnson is offline  
Old 01-12-2018, 10:22 PM   #16
.....
 
Frank Castle's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,289
Rewards Points: 272

Re: Suspended Ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Johnson View Post
No man it's me; Dave.

Advertisement

__________________
Adapt, Improvise, Overcome.
Frank Castle is online now  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vertically installed suspended ceiling Maplehead Remodeling 13 03-29-2007 10:06 PM
Suspended ceiling access Trick HVAC 3 01-21-2007 12:02 PM
tips for cutting into a ceiling / wall corner Zeebo Painting & Finish Work 30 11-30-2006 09:36 PM
paint coming off the ceiling lornmastro Painting & Finish Work 6 06-02-2006 01:31 PM
Drop ceiling question Eric K Remodeling 5 12-16-2005 07:47 AM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?