Price To Tape, Mud And Paint-Ready

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2007, 01:37 PM   #61
Member
 
Aaron111's Avatar
 
Trade: Honolulu, Hi Handyman Remodeler 510-868-8807
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kauai, Hawaii
Posts: 77
Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via MSN to Aaron111 Send a message via Yahoo to Aaron111
Exclamation

Re: Price To Tape, Mud And Paint-Ready


Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
I didn't even ask for bids, two subs I've worked with in the past and a third I haven't worked with stopped in at the jobsite and gave me bids. I don't bother having them measure, just give me a price per foot.

The standard finish is tape, two coats, sand, touch-up, texture. We use brocade on the ceiling (this is put on with a hod then knocked down) and a spray/knock-down on the walls. The tract home builders use the spray on ceilings and walls (it's a little quicker) and generally skip the knock-down.
that's a new strategy I should try to implement in my jobs thanks nice read
Aaron111 is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 12-04-2007, 05:10 PM   #62
Pro
 
Muddauber's Avatar
 
Trade: drywall
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kentucky/USA
Posts: 301
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Price To Tape, Mud And Paint-Ready


Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
D-bal, your guys must be slooooow.

one house i did, @ .26/ft, the hanger worked alone, 9' ceilings, single story. Made $900 in a weekend at $.12 per sq ft.

The tapers took a little longer. 2 men 1 day to tape, 1 man day for each of 2 top coats, 1 man day to texture, 1/2 to scrape and clean up. total 5-1/2 man days, $1,200.

Generally, at $.26 per square foot they get about $200 per man per day.
I would pay that guy another $900.00 just to let me watch him work,LOL.
Muddauber is offline  
Old 12-04-2007, 05:47 PM   #63
Member
 
Aaron111's Avatar
 
Trade: Honolulu, Hi Handyman Remodeler 510-868-8807
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kauai, Hawaii
Posts: 77
Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via MSN to Aaron111 Send a message via Yahoo to Aaron111

Re: Price To Tape, Mud And Paint-Ready


you could try by the hr
Aaron111 is offline  
Old 12-06-2007, 07:39 PM   #64
Registered User
 
BillMac's Avatar
 
Trade: Home Renovations / Finish Carpentry
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Price To Tape, Mud And Paint-Ready


In Massachusetts it seems that the going rate to hang, tape and prime to paint ready is $1.15 to $1.50 per sq ft of board purchased
BillMac is offline  
Old 12-06-2007, 10:47 PM   #65
Pro
 
dryrocker27's Avatar
 
Trade: Drywall Contractor
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 105
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Price To Tape, Mud And Paint-Ready


You can make a living at $23.00 a board. You must move quickly, deliver a great product, and be a master at controlling your time on the job.

I have a 10 man crew and here is how I work it. We start at 7:00am

I expect each man on the hanging crew to install 5 boards an hour. 5bd. x 8hr = 40 boards a day at 9' ceilings
5 man hanging crew=200 boards a day
In 2 days they hang 400 boards and clean out the house.
$ 6.00 a board x 400 = $2400 / 5 guys = $480 per man or $240.00 per day

5 man finishing crew - 400 board home completly taped in one day, all fastners covered once
No-Coat beads on and covered second day and all seams blocked in, fastners covered for second time. most of the time they go home around around
11:00am. Slip in some small work for Home Owners.
Third day- apply top coat to all seams, cornerbeads, fastners and angles. We apply no textures, all of our work is Smooth Ceilings and Walls. home by
2:00pm - Finish Home Owner work
Forth day- sand, clean up and go home. Clean up means scrape and broom sweep floors, all electrical outlets have all compound removed in 3 hours.
$ 10.00 a board x 400 boards = $ 4000.00 for 22 hours of work per man
800 dollars per man / 4 days = 200 dollars per day or $36.36 an hour at 22 hours of work

Please know that this is possible because we utilize bazooka's, flat boxes, angle heads, mud hoppers and No-Coat cornerbeads and No-Coat 325 for off angles. 3 portercable sanders and vacuums, 2 men sanding angles. I never split up the crew, they all work together on every job.

This time frame allows the men to do side work and pick up extra money, or go home and hunt, fish, chase their woman around the house. They love it and I get $7.00 a board to ride around and talk to the contractors to keep them busy.

$ 7.00 x 400= $ 2,800.00 for 6 days work
$2,800 / 6 = $466.00 per day $77.66 per hour on a 6 hour day

we have been doing this for 4 years now and keep a 4 month backlog of work
Home owners wait as long as 6 weeks to get worked in.

This all works out to $145,600 gross income for myself just to ride around and talk to contractors and developers.

Pretty Good I Believe.
__________________
Robert
dryrocker27 is offline  
Old 01-21-2008, 04:37 PM   #66
Mad Mudders
 
PeterTurncliffe's Avatar
 
Trade: Drywall
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Price To Tape, Mud And Paint-Ready


K so me and a good friend of mine are starting a new drywalling business. The problem at hand is that we are getting labour pricing all over the place. Some have told me $1.oo a sqft and others .65cents a board foot. Cane anyone tell me where the going rate is. I so not want to over or under charge. So any answers would help me greatly. I live in bancroft ontario, and my bud is in Belleville. So that is where we will be boarding and taping. Also if it matters it will be a 2man crew me and him lol. So time will be a bit longer but i am not worried about it cause it will be more profit so we hope.

Thanks Peter

Last edited by PeterTurncliffe; 01-21-2008 at 04:50 PM.
PeterTurncliffe is offline  
Old 01-30-2008, 10:00 PM   #67
Member
 
Drywall Swine's Avatar
 
Trade: I own a drywall company
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 40
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Price To Tape, Mud And Paint-Ready


thom I hope your not one of those **** offs that hire illegals. You guys disgust me. One of my goals is to put people like that away for that ****! I'm really tired of seeing it to tell you the truth, it's a disgrace. If you don't Im sorry, if you know you do then you better hope I dont drive by yor woksite!
Drywall Swine is offline  
Old 01-30-2008, 10:01 PM   #68
Member
 
Drywall Swine's Avatar
 
Trade: I own a drywall company
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 40
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Price To Tape, Mud And Paint-Ready


just speakin my mind
Drywall Swine is offline  
Old 01-30-2008, 10:40 PM   #69
owner
 
drywallet's Avatar
 
Trade: Hanging, Taping, Custom, Repairs, Scrapping
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Omaha NE
Posts: 144
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Price To Tape, Mud And Paint-Ready


Quote:
Originally Posted by Drywall Swine View Post
thom I hope your not one of those **** offs that hire illegals. You guys disgust me. One of my goals is to put people like that away for that ****! I'm really tired of seeing it to tell you the truth, it's a disgrace. If you don't Im sorry, if you know you do then you better hope I dont drive by yor woksite!

I think your right? So your not supplying the materials, and your only coating the joints twice, and you go to Buffalo Wild Wings every other day for lunch, and you under cut all your competition at .48 cents for 4x12 board.
drywallet is offline  
Old 02-02-2008, 03:11 AM   #70
Sharpie
 
trav007's Avatar
 
Trade: Renovation contractor
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mission B.C.
Posts: 227
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Price To Tape, Mud And Paint-Ready


This all works out to $145,600 gross income for myself just to ride around and talk to contractors and developers.

Pretty Good I Believe.[/quote]



Not bad but what do you net after factoring in all your materials and peripheral costs? Gross income means squat if your spending all of it on tools, supplies, advertising....you get the idea.
__________________
Travis
www.customkreations.ca
"The most perfect technique is that which is not noticed at all"
-Pablo Casals
trav007 is offline  
Old 02-02-2008, 11:49 PM   #71
Member
 
towertaper's Avatar
 
Trade: taper
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 34
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Price To Tape, Mud And Paint-Ready


Quote:
we have been doing this for 4 years now and keep a 4 month backlog of work
Home owners wait as long as 6 weeks to get worked in.
sounds like a pretty good system dryrocker. I'm working on something similar myself, though I have a constant problem finding good guys. It seems just as I get them half decently trained they find a way to flush themselves.
towertaper is offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 10:59 AM   #72
Pro
 
wellbuilthome's Avatar
 
Trade: building for 30 years. new homes , additions
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 463
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Price To Tape, Mud And Paint-Ready


I pay around .65 sq foot of rock , that is on the job ,to hang and finish.The guys are smooothhhhh. I load the job ,I clean the job up, I order the rock I by sheet rock only I supply Heat in the winter i buy the guys lunch and beer. I buy 12' sheets for 12' room 16' for 16' room ect.The rock is around .30 or so and the jobs are around 2500 sf .I pay around 1 sf for painting and charge around 3 bucks or so for the hole job. The guys hang in 1 day spk in 1 week paint in 3 days .I jump in and start trim ,tile cab work work around the 2 coat of spk. I just want to have it done fast so i could more an the next job. John
wellbuilthome is offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 11:12 AM   #73
Pro
 
wellbuilthome's Avatar
 
Trade: building for 30 years. new homes , additions
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 463
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Price To Tape, Mud And Paint-Ready


My guys want the hole job and if some one hangs the rock before i get to the job i charge the same. because most of the time i have to fix it. my drywall guys will take off around .15 if the rock is up. but i just pay them the same because it a small job.I like to keep them happy. I dont like to rock or spk. I jest want it done.
wellbuilthome is offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #74
Pro
 
Muddauber's Avatar
 
Trade: drywall
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kentucky/USA
Posts: 301
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Price To Tape, Mud And Paint-Ready


Quote:
Originally Posted by wellbuilthome View Post
I pay around .65 sq foot of rock , that is on the job ,to hang and finish.The guys are smooothhhhh. I load the job ,I clean the job up, I order the rock I by sheet rock only I supply Heat in the winter i buy the guys lunch and beer. I buy 12' sheets for 12' room 16' for 16' room ect.The rock is around .30 or so and the jobs are around 2500 sf .I pay around 1 sf for painting and charge around 3 bucks or so for the hole job. The guys hang in 1 day spk in 1 week paint in 3 days .I jump in and start trim ,tile cab work work around the 2 coat of spk. I just want to have it done fast so i could more an the next job. John
Hey John,ol buddy,
Can I come work for you?
Muddauber is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 10:13 PM   #75
Young Gun
 
HallisseyDesign's Avatar
 
Trade: Smartass
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 265
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Price To Tape, Mud And Paint-Ready


Hey for your guys knowledge I can do drywall but if I don't have to I will not. I pay the guys that do drywall work for me at 35 dollars a sheet hanged and taped I pay for material. I am in IL.They seem happy about it. I don't mind paying them that if they are good. I do need 165 sheets hung in a basement. 100 on the walls and 65 on the ceiling, so that would be 5775.00 for hanging tapping muding ready for paint. Anybody in chicagoland good and want a job for a few days?

That is 1.09 a board and i supply the material.

Last edited by HallisseyDesign; 02-06-2008 at 10:17 PM.
HallisseyDesign is offline  
Old 02-09-2008, 04:10 PM   #76
Balding quickly
 
BattleRidge's Avatar
 
Trade: The big stuff!
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montana
Posts: 954
Rewards Points: 588

Re: Price To Tape, Mud And Paint-Ready


Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPainter View Post
I've been painting for some time now, and have worked on several rehab jobs that I re-rocked entirely.

A new job has presented itself, where I'd only be doing the finish, no drywall hanging, no painting...It's a re-rock of a 1950's style two story house.

I don't have a concrete way of estimating a complete drywall job, but I've somehow managed in the past. For some reason I'm having a hard time coming up with an estimate on this one.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how I should get to my price of the job.
Around here for the average hang job, its about .24/sq ft. Thats 8 foot ceilings, no vault. Nothing technical. Taping is about .45/sq ft(thats more because its remodel), then 7 bucks per stick of bullnose.

Painting I usually bill 40 an hour per person and make an estimate of how long it will take. 120 Sheets could be done in a day for sure. with 2 or more.

So what we have is 920.00 for hanging. 2000.00 for the taping(i put 50 corners in for a round estimate). Then 640 for the painting. So 3560.OO, then I usualy add 10 percent on because its a remodel and theres is things that you may run into that you didn't see coming. So 3,916 bucks is about where I would be at.

ill send ya the bill.
BattleRidge is offline  
Old 02-09-2008, 04:15 PM   #77
Balding quickly
 
BattleRidge's Avatar
 
Trade: The big stuff!
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montana
Posts: 954
Rewards Points: 588

Re: Price To Tape, Mud And Paint-Ready


Quote:
Originally Posted by dryrocker27 View Post
You can make a living at $23.00 a board. You must move quickly, deliver a great product, and be a master at controlling your time on the job.

I have a 10 man crew and here is how I work it. We start at 7:00am

I expect each man on the hanging crew to install 5 boards an hour. 5bd. x 8hr = 40 boards a day at 9' ceilings
5 man hanging crew=200 boards a day
In 2 days they hang 400 boards and clean out the house.
$ 6.00 a board x 400 = $2400 / 5 guys = $480 per man or $240.00 per day

5 man finishing crew - 400 board home completly taped in one day, all fastners covered once
No-Coat beads on and covered second day and all seams blocked in, fastners covered for second time. most of the time they go home around around
11:00am. Slip in some small work for Home Owners.
Third day- apply top coat to all seams, cornerbeads, fastners and angles. We apply no textures, all of our work is Smooth Ceilings and Walls. home by
2:00pm - Finish Home Owner work
Forth day- sand, clean up and go home. Clean up means scrape and broom sweep floors, all electrical outlets have all compound removed in 3 hours.
$ 10.00 a board x 400 boards = $ 4000.00 for 22 hours of work per man
800 dollars per man / 4 days = 200 dollars per day or $36.36 an hour at 22 hours of work

Please know that this is possible because we utilize bazooka's, flat boxes, angle heads, mud hoppers and No-Coat cornerbeads and No-Coat 325 for off angles. 3 portercable sanders and vacuums, 2 men sanding angles. I never split up the crew, they all work together on every job.

This time frame allows the men to do side work and pick up extra money, or go home and hunt, fish, chase their woman around the house. They love it and I get $7.00 a board to ride around and talk to the contractors to keep them busy.

$ 7.00 x 400= $ 2,800.00 for 6 days work
$2,800 / 6 = $466.00 per day $77.66 per hour on a 6 hour day

we have been doing this for 4 years now and keep a 4 month backlog of work
Home owners wait as long as 6 weeks to get worked in.

This all works out to $145,600 gross income for myself just to ride around and talk to contractors and developers.

Pretty Good I Believe.
Ur rolling man, I'm booked till June and run 4 guys and I still gross nothing like that. Where u located?
BattleRidge is offline  
Old 02-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #78
Genius
 
Harmoney Const's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago, Northwest IN, Orlando
Posts: 42
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Price To Tape, Mud And Paint-Ready


!!!

Last edited by Harmoney Const; 02-09-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Harmoney Const is offline  
Old 02-09-2008, 05:41 PM   #79
Genius
 
Harmoney Const's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago, Northwest IN, Orlando
Posts: 42
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Price To Tape, Mud And Paint-Ready


Quote:
Originally Posted by HallisseyDesign View Post
Hey for your guys knowledge I can do drywall but if I don't have to I will not. I pay the guys that do drywall work for me at 35 dollars a sheet hanged and taped I pay for material. I am in IL.They seem happy about it. I don't mind paying them that if they are good. I do need 165 sheets hung in a basement. 100 on the walls and 65 on the ceiling, so that would be 5775.00 for hanging tapping muding ready for paint. Anybody in chicagoland good and want a job for a few days?

That is 1.09 a board and i supply the material.


I am in NWI and I have a fantastic Drywall Crew that would definately take care of your drywall needs in Chicago! You may email me at harmoneyconstruction@hotmail.com !!!
Harmoney Const is offline  
Old 05-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #80
Registered User
 
drywalltaping's Avatar
 
Trade: drywalltaping.ca
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Price To Tape, Mud And Paint-Ready


We charge $2 (two) dollar per sq.ft.

How we price the drywall installation?
There are several methods we use when we have to price the drywall job. Preliminary quote on drywall boarding can be issued over a telephone based on the square footage of the area that needs drywall installation.
As drywall contractors we need to know the total area of drywall board for the rough quote. We usually ask over the phone total floor area and clarify if the area is an open concept or divided on section/rooms. Than we ask about ceiling height. The formula for open concept area on drywall installation total square footage is floor area square footage multiplied by 3.5 , for the area with rooms: floor area sq footage multiplied by 4.
For example, if we required to install drywall in the house that has 5000 sq foot of the floor area with 8’ ceiling height and open concept, than amount of the drywall board that we will have to install will be roughly 5000×3.5=17500 sq ft.
Than we multiply the total square footage of the drywall board by the price per square foot.
Of course it works the best if the drywalled area doesn’t have custom features like multiple custom shaped skylights, cathedral ceilings in rooms and unusually shaped entrances, amount of corner beads also play role in the drywall installation pricing. In the case of custom situation it will be the best to arrange for a visit of our certified professional drywall estimator to get more accurate quote.
To find out more you can always contact or call us at 647 866 0201 and we will be happy to help you with your drywall installation price.


John T. Galaman

www.DrywallTaping.ca

Don't forget to visit our blog for more information.

Advertisement

drywalltaping is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?