Price Per Sq. Ft Knockdown And Orange Peel

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2006, 05:36 PM   #1
Member
 
dwbrooks's Avatar
 
Trade: Painting
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 67
Rewards Points: 75

Price Per Sq. Ft Knockdown And Orange Peel


Hello Everyone,

What do charge per square foot for applying knockdown and orange peel. I'm doing a ceiling thats approx. 1050 sq.ft and a wall thats the same size. Only masking will be on two walls to protect brick, floor doesnt need to be covered. Could anyone give me an idea what you charge on average per square for textures.

I know everyones overhead is differant and differant jobs have differant obstacles but I'm just trying to get a general idea. I live in the midwest in a large city and do mostly commercial build outs..
dwbrooks is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   
 

Old 03-27-2006, 05:08 PM   #2
Registered User
 
kevin n's Avatar
 
Trade: Finish Carpenter
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Price Per Sq. Ft Knockdown And Orange Peel


On a room that size in florida I would charge 350 for labor to spray it all.

kevin n is offline  
Old 04-05-2006, 10:01 AM   #3
Red Letters
 
tjdrake's Avatar
 
Trade: Drywall and Painting
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 20

Re: Price Per Sq. Ft Knockdown And Orange Peel


The going price per sq. ft. is around .15 to .25 cent, for new construction in florida. Which is a cut throat business.

good luck
tjdrake is offline  
Old 05-25-2008, 11:27 AM   #4
Registered User
 
shrabber's Avatar
 
Trade: NetWorking
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Price Per Sq. Ft Knockdown And Orange Peel


Tj Drake Im in Jacksonville too Do you have some contact info so I can inquire your services
shrabber is offline  
Old 05-25-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
Thom
 
thom's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Albuquerque NM
Posts: 4,019
Rewards Points: 2,616

Re: Price Per Sq. Ft Knockdown And Orange Peel


Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdrake View Post
The going price per sq. ft. is around .15 to .25 cent, for new construction in florida. Which is a cut throat business.

good luck

Geez you guys are expensive. Here in Albuq I pay $.35/sf to hang, tape, texture, scrape floors, remove debris, leave broom clean.
thom is offline  
Old 05-25-2008, 12:21 PM   #6
New Guy
 
Masterpoacher's Avatar
 
Trade: Boarding Taping and Finishing
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 23
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Price Per Sq. Ft Knockdown And Orange Peel


Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Geez you guys are expensive. Here in Albuq I pay $.35/sf to hang, tape, texture, scrape floors, remove debris, leave broom clean.
I don't they are expensive. I think your just cheap! I wouldn't get out of bed for that rate.
Masterpoacher is offline  
Old 05-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
Registered User
 
matymatt23's Avatar
 
Trade: drywall
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Price Per Sq. Ft Knockdown And Orange Peel


Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterpoacher View Post
I don't they are expensive. I think your just cheap! I wouldn't get out of bed for that rate.
Thats not a goo enough rate I agree!!!
matymatt23 is offline  
Old 05-25-2008, 05:46 PM   #8
Brocktologist llc.
 
Brockster's Avatar
 
Trade: drywall
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 392
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Price Per Sq. Ft Knockdown And Orange Peel


Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Geez you guys are expensive. Here in Albuq I pay $.35/sf to hang, tape, texture, scrape floors, remove debris, leave broom clean.
$.35!!! That's funnier than a one legged hooker on a unicycle!
I bet that's some quality work there done by U.S. citizens.

You're a real piece of work Thom. HO or GC comes on here and reads you bragging what you pay and thinks the rest of the cuntry should be paying the same. It's not the first time you've heard this on the board.
__________________
Brockster is offline  
Old 05-25-2008, 06:59 PM   #9
Pro
 
Tim0282's Avatar
 
Trade: drywall contractor
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 843
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Price Per Sq. Ft Knockdown And Orange Peel


I sure wouldn't hire you to build a house for me!! Do you leave out half of the studs to get it done cheaper? Doesn't matter cuz the drywaller will cover up all your crap!! Nobody would ever know till the house falls in.
Tim0282 is offline  
Old 05-25-2008, 08:24 PM   #10
Pro
 
Joasis's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hennessey, Oklahoma
Posts: 7,378
Rewards Points: 2,488

Re: Price Per Sq. Ft Knockdown And Orange Peel


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockster View Post
$.35!!! That's funnier than a one legged hooker on a unicycle!
I bet that's some quality work there done by U.S. citizens.

You're a real piece of work Thom. HO or GC comes on here and reads you bragging what you pay and thinks the rest of the cuntry should be paying the same. It's not the first time you've heard this on the board.
I hate to tell you guys this, but the price is the price. I am in Oklahoma, and we can get the rock, hung, taped and bedded, plus texture for pricing way cheaper then my guys can do it...I pay another contractor, no illegals, just a little more then thom does.....and I build good homes.

Don't assume just because it is way less here, that we do substandard work, or that it won't measure up to your high standards. If you want to change the world, then take on general contracting, and pay twice to your subs what other GC's are paying, and while you may get by for awhile, what happens when you can't sell the spec you are building, or the customer refuses to pay more for your generosity?

The reason any pricing thread is tough, is simply because the variables make a difference. The COL here is low low low compared to other areas.....
__________________
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
405 853 1563

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Joasis is offline  
Old 05-25-2008, 09:09 PM   #11
Mod / ArchiBuilder

 
Cole's Avatar
 
Trade: Design/Build Outdoor Living
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ArkLaTexOma
Posts: 6,859
Rewards Points: 2,026

Re: Price Per Sq. Ft Knockdown And Orange Peel


Quote:
Originally Posted by joasis View Post
I hate to tell you guys this, but the price is the price. I am in Oklahoma, and we can get the rock, hung, taped and bedded, plus texture for pricing way cheaper then my guys can do it...I pay another contractor, no illegals, just a little more then thom does.....and I build good homes.

Don't assume just because it is way less here, that we do substandard work, or that it won't measure up to your high standards. If you want to change the world, then take on general contracting, and pay twice to your subs what other GC's are paying, and while you may get by for awhile, what happens when you can't sell the spec you are building, or the customer refuses to pay more for your generosity?

The reason any pricing thread is tough, is simply because the variables make a difference. The COL here is low low low compared to other areas.....
I couldn't have said it any better.
Cole is online now  
Old 05-25-2008, 10:30 PM   #12
Pro
 
Tim0282's Avatar
 
Trade: drywall contractor
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 843
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Price Per Sq. Ft Knockdown And Orange Peel


Well stated. On the other hand you don't say someone is too expensive in their area. Like you said it is what it is. It is the fault of the guy charging so little that he is not making any money. And drives the price down so no one else can either. Legal or not. There are too many "legal" workers that will work for beer money. The cost to do business is similar in the whole country, isn't it? Materials, insurance, labor, groceries, gas, rent, house payment, utilities, etc. I don't understand the huge difference except what a person is willing to work for. And I really don't know why one would work for labor less than a person that works in a factory or elsewhere. Unless they don't pay ten thousand a year in business insurance. Then how can any one hire them, because the insurance companies crack down on the GC? And they pay the difference. I just don't get it. I would be glad to give the HO or GC the lowest price possible if I could make a living. But at the price I charge I still am making very near what any one else is. Sure not getting rich. Don't live in a house anything like the ones I finish every day of the week.
Tim0282 is offline  
Old 05-25-2008, 11:14 PM   #13
Balding quickly
 
BattleRidge's Avatar
 
Trade: The big stuff!
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montana
Posts: 951
Rewards Points: 582

Re: Price Per Sq. Ft Knockdown And Orange Peel


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim0282 View Post
Well stated. On the other hand you don't say someone is too expensive in their area. Like you said it is what it is. It is the fault of the guy charging so little that he is not making any money. And drives the price down so no one else can either. Legal or not. There are too many "legal" workers that will work for beer money. The cost to do business is similar in the whole country, isn't it? Materials, insurance, labor, groceries, gas, rent, house payment, utilities, etc. I don't understand the huge difference except what a person is willing to work for. And I really don't know why one would work for labor less than a person that works in a factory or elsewhere. Unless they don't pay ten thousand a year in business insurance. Then how can any one hire them, because the insurance companies crack down on the GC? And they pay the difference. I just don't get it. I would be glad to give the HO or GC the lowest price possible if I could make a living. But at the price I charge I still am making very near what any one else is. Sure not getting rich. Don't live in a house anything like the ones I finish every day of the week.

In haxtun CO, you an buy a 1200 sq ft home on 100 acres for 50-70k. Where I live, 100 acres never goes less then a Mill. If I could charge my prices and live in Haxtun, I could retire by 30. I could buy a house if I saved for like 2 years and not even get a loan. Gas is like 50 cents cheaper too. I can't remember but I would assume you can get food stuff for cheaper too since its an agricultural area. These things are what effect prices, because the all around cost of living is less because the average income is less.
BattleRidge is offline  
Old 05-25-2008, 11:15 PM   #14
Balding quickly
 
BattleRidge's Avatar
 
Trade: The big stuff!
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montana
Posts: 951
Rewards Points: 582

Re: Price Per Sq. Ft Knockdown And Orange Peel


Here 35 cents would get your rock hung.
BattleRidge is offline  
Old 05-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #15
Thom
 
thom's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Albuquerque NM
Posts: 4,019
Rewards Points: 2,616

Re: Price Per Sq. Ft Knockdown And Orange Peel


Ok, I'll defend myself. Here everything is textured. If the guy uses the trailer unit to spray, that's a 1 hour job for 2 men, including knock down. If the guy uses a hopper gun, it's a 4 hour job for 1 man. That includes set-up and clean up.

The 4 hours is all labor, the equipment cost is minimal. Kevin says $350, tjdrake says $315 - $525.

Either you guys get paid a lot more hourly than guys do here, or you work a lot slower.

Figuring 15% for employers payroll taxes and workmens comp and 20% for profit and overhead, Kevin would be paying $57 per hour. I just don't believe it.
thom is offline  
Old 05-26-2008, 02:34 PM   #16
Pro
 
Joasis's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hennessey, Oklahoma
Posts: 7,378
Rewards Points: 2,488

Re: Price Per Sq. Ft Knockdown And Orange Peel


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim0282 View Post
Well stated. On the other hand you don't say someone is too expensive in their area. Like you said it is what it is. It is the fault of the guy charging so little that he is not making any money. And drives the price down so no one else can either. Legal or not. There are too many "legal" workers that will work for beer money. The cost to do business is similar in the whole country, isn't it? Materials, insurance, labor, groceries, gas, rent, house payment, utilities, etc. I don't understand the huge difference except what a person is willing to work for. And I really don't know why one would work for labor less than a person that works in a factory or elsewhere. Unless they don't pay ten thousand a year in business insurance. Then how can any one hire them, because the insurance companies crack down on the GC? And they pay the difference. I just don't get it. I would be glad to give the HO or GC the lowest price possible if I could make a living. But at the price I charge I still am making very near what any one else is. Sure not getting rich. Don't live in a house anything like the ones I finish every day of the week.
Let me put it another way. Not only am I a "working general contractor" meaning I go out and work with the guys, I manage projects.....but I can do, or my guys can do just about anything we have to...lets say by your argument that the rockers all raise their prices.....well....I look at what my guys cost by the hour, and what I can buy the materials for, and we let it out to a sub, or we do it. If the price is too high, we do it all. Except for mechanicals, the only thing we haven't had to do is lay brick, and if it gets any harder to get a mason, we may just do it.....

So in a nut shell, this is what will drive prices.....home builders who only contract home construction would be stuck if everyone were to go up...I will just keep it all in house.
__________________
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
405 853 1563

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Joasis is offline  
Old 05-26-2008, 04:52 PM   #17
Brocktologist llc.
 
Brockster's Avatar
 
Trade: drywall
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 392
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Price Per Sq. Ft Knockdown And Orange Peel


I'm not here to argue, I'm just asking people to stop bragging about paying less than half of what the rest of us who do drywall for a living make per sq. ft..
You guys shoot for a square foot price when bidding a job and would not appreciate a member posting a price of less than half of what you would need to make a living on a similar job. Have a little respect is all we're asking...
__________________
Brockster is offline  
Old 05-26-2008, 05:58 PM   #18
Pro
 
Joasis's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hennessey, Oklahoma
Posts: 7,378
Rewards Points: 2,488

Re: Price Per Sq. Ft Knockdown And Orange Peel


I really wasn't throwing stones here Brockster...I am merely pointing out what drives pricing. If I am to stay competitive, I have to sell the job, and sub to the best bid, in most cases....the margin I make isn't significant...I make as much on the labor of actual construction as I will on the percentage of a sub's work.

If you are in a market where new construction is (residential) $115 a sq/ft and up, then you can make what you need....I just sold a project Friday where the home will finish for less then $70....no frills basic.
__________________
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
405 853 1563

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Joasis is offline  
Old 05-28-2008, 10:10 AM   #19
Member
 
terry714_us's Avatar
 
Trade: Project Management
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 68
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Price Per Sq. Ft Knockdown And Orange Peel


And with gas prices that's (1) one illegal per hour at 8.00 for every half mile to the job.
terry714_us is offline  
Old 06-03-2008, 12:32 PM   #20
Registered User
 
ncontractor's Avatar
 
Trade: Drywall contractor
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Price Per Sq. Ft Knockdown And Orange Peel


Why is ANYBODY worring about what sombody makes per hr we did not go into sub-contracting to get paid by the hour everybody should just pay what it is worth instead of tring to rase profits and drop wages everybody is greedy

ncontractor is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ncontractor For This Useful Post:
lou5577 (05-23-2009), mc handyman (09-11-2011)


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?