New Texture Over Old

Old 01-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Highwayman
Rewards Points: 1,300

New Texture Over Old

Commercial client is in a leased space. They don't want to spend a ton of money, just do sort-of do a face-lift. They might only be there another couple years. Anyway, the drywall is old, been painted a couple (few) times, paper tape is coming out of the corners due to earthquakes, a few dents and dings and old, patched holes. I want to redo the tape in the corners and skimcoat and texture the whole thing. Should still be alot cheaper than a complete tear-out. So I'm wondering if there is something I should use to ensure a good bond between the paint and the new topping compound, kind of like weld-crete for concrete. Will an oil-based primer work? Thanks in advance to all the 'rockers!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 2,236

Re: New Texture Over Old

I would apply a bonding primer to the existing ceiling then mix in a gallon of same primer into the topping.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
;-p

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 2,432

Depending on the existing texture it might be cheaper and faster to hang 1/4" drywall over everything then tape and texture.

There would be positives and negatives to skimming versus, depending on your definition of "facelift".
Old 01-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
Drywall & Tape

Trade: Drywall, Taping & Stucco
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrpntrFrk View Post
Depending on the existing texture it might be cheaper and faster to hang 1/4" drywall over everything then tape and texture.

There would be positives and negatives to skimming versus, depending on your definition of "facelift".
I agree.
Also, I wouldnt use an oil based primer.
Acrylic. Unless its already an oil.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:18 AM   #5
Goin' Down in Flames....

I had thought about covering with 1/4" like I've done on other jobs, but this one has alot of windows, outlets, and what-not. Since the trim is all painted, I could just butt and caulk, but there are other issues with overlay, such as where it would end. It's kind of a complicated building. Besides, the 1/4" costs more here than 1/2". I thought if I could skip the hanging part, I could keep the cost down and get the work.

Quote:
I agree.
Also, I wouldnt use an oil based primer.
Acrylic. Unless its already an oil.
It's just latex paint. So you're saying a water-based primer might give sufficient bond?
Old 01-28-2012, 05:18 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Home repairs,drywall,trim. Mesh addict.
Rewards Points: 2,920

1/4'' is not the ''silver bullet'' to poor quality walls in most cases. It opens up a whole nother can of worms.

I clean up all loose paper, bad areas, powersand,prime with oil (cover stain) and repair all areas needed.
Have yet to try Gaurdz(instead of oil) but will on the next job like this now that I finally know where to get it here.

You may find the walls to be in better shape than you thought after sadning and priming.

If I had a nickel for every time someone said cover it with 1/4''
Not knocking it. Just not my cup of tea.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
;-p

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 2,432

I was picturing a huge commercial space and the OP mentioned "tear out" so I suggested 1/4" thing. I personally don't like the 1/4" thing but if the drywall that is currently up is in horrible condition then I figured that might be cheaper.

The last skim over we just did not more than a month ago was a nightmare. About a 20'x20' room. Walls had paper and the ceiling was the grossest spray texture I had ever seen. 3 skim coats just to make it disappear after scrapping!

Good luck.
Big Shoe (01-29-2012)
Old 01-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,639

+1 for the guardz or I've even used a an exterior multi-purpose clear sealer on it. For really nasty stuff I would use an oil primer. Never been a fan of the "just go over it with 1/4" theory either.
Skimming goes pretty fast. Especially if your going to be applying texture over it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Mixalot For This Useful Post:
Big Shoe (01-29-2012)
Old 01-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
Goin' Down in Flames....

Thanks for all the help, guys. I'm gonna check into the Guardz.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:39 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Home repairs,drywall,trim. Mesh addict.
Rewards Points: 2,920

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrpntrFrk View Post
I was picturing a huge commercial space and the OP mentioned "tear out" so I suggested 1/4" thing. I personally don't like the 1/4" thing but if the drywall that is currently up is in horrible condition then I figured that might be cheaper.

The last skim over we just did not more than a month ago was a nightmare. About a 20'x20' room. Walls had paper and the ceiling was the grossest spray texture I had ever seen. 3 skim coats just to make it disappear after scrapping!

Good luck.
Frank, I know where you're coming from.

I have a job scheduled in three weeks to remove beadboard. It's 5' high in a bedroom on second floor. The other room I did there last year had the same ting. I removed the drywall and replaced it. (Judgement Call) Hope they did'nt use as much glue in this room.

I always would rather skim than replace/double up. I'll try to get some pics on that one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Shoe For This Useful Post:
Sir Mixalot (01-29-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #11
Drywall & Tape

Ya I guess it depends how bad the existing ceiling is.
Its hard to judge, I know I said just regular acrylic primer is fine, but if its excessive damage and you're thinking of re-skimming the whole ceiling you might want to try something like plaster-weld.
http://www.larsenproducts.com/plasterweld.php
Old 01-31-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
Goin' Down in Flames....

Thanks for the link on the plaster-weld. I think either of those (plaster-weld or guardz) will work. The drywall is good shape, just a few places where there were water leaks years ago, and the texture has peeled off. Also the tape in the corners is coming off due to "seismic activity". The restrooms have several not-so-great patch jobs, and there must be a dozen coats of paint over the years. Hence my desire just to skim coat everything. I always find it difficult to match that "rounded texture" look of a wall with multiple coats of paint.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
Drywall & Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T.C. View Post
Thanks for the link on the plaster-weld. I think either of those (plaster-weld or guardz) will work. The drywall is good shape, just a few places where there were water leaks years ago, and the texture has peeled off. Also the tape in the corners is coming off due to "seismic activity". The restrooms have several not-so-great patch jobs, and there must be a dozen coats of paint over the years. Hence my desire just to skim coat everything. I always find it difficult to match that "rounded texture" look of a wall with multiple coats of paint.
Well said, I agree.