Most Popular Textured Finish?

Old 11-30-2006, 09:55 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Drywall/Textures/Paint
Rewards Points: 250

Most Popular Textured Finish?

I have a few jobs coming up that require a textured finish over mostly old plaster and some new drywall. The goal is to hide the defects in the old plaster and the transistion where the plaster meets the patched drywall.

What textured finish is being applied most often these days? I've seen a lot of troweled finishes as well as various sprayed finishes. Any suggestions as to whats in style?

steve

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-30-2006, 10:14 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Most Popular Textured Finish?

I predict you're going to get two answers, one being smooth and the other being knock-down. The answers will depend on which coast you are closer to.

East coast -tons of old homes with smooth walls, west coast tons of newer homes with knock down.

Advertisement

Old 11-30-2006, 10:21 PM   #3
Mike Danahy

Trade: Signature Painter
Rewards Points: 508

If you want to be different, but not difficult. You could use that really thin tape 1/8", tape big rock like shapes on the wall... then do a knockdown, then remove the tape before it dries.

I like doing this to make faux bricks, or faux tiles for back splashes or other areas that need a unique, low cost quick fix...
Old 12-01-2006, 09:12 AM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley View Post
East coast -tons of old homes with smooth walls, west coast tons of newer homes with knock down.

Now I'm confused... what do you call a smooth texture?? Do you mean "smooth finish" or something other than popcorn or knockdown?

Thanks!

steve
Old 12-01-2006, 09:14 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danahy View Post
If you want to be different, but not difficult. You could use that really thin tape 1/8", tape big rock like shapes on the wall... then do a knockdown, then remove the tape before it dries.

I like doing this to make faux bricks, or faux tiles for back splashes or other areas that need a unique, low cost quick fix...

That sounds like great idea. When the tape is pulled, does it make a clean break? Or does it "tear out" the surrounding mud? Sounds like the right timing is the key here.

steve
Old 12-01-2006, 10:19 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Wood working in spare time.
Rewards Points: 1,000

I don't like texture finishes. But the nicest stuff i have ever seen here was that one guy who did art work on drywall. I don't remember who that was it was a while ago. It was awesome stuff.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:39 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville View Post
Now I'm confused... what do you call a smooth texture?? Do you mean "smooth finish" or something other than popcorn or knockdown?

Thanks!

steve
lol, smooth texture is a bit of a contradiction Should be smooth finish.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:01 PM   #8
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 3,998

Though the spray-on-knock-down is the most common, There are others that look nicer but take more time. I like the brocade on the ceiling and the slap on the walls.

I'm afraid you will have to see the textures to get an idea of their look. Brocade is pretty standard for ceilings, slap was fairly common here about 25 years ago.

Slap is installed by rolling the mud on the wall then hitting the mudded wall with a double splayed brush. Leaves an interesting and random line segments in the mud. It's a light texture.

One thing to think about, on walls, the heavier the texture, the more dirt and dust it will collect. Heavy wall textures generally look dirty after a year or so and are almost impossible to clean. Lots of work for painters though.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:44 PM   #9
Pro

thom,

Agree on the "dirty" look. I have a building that was/is original plaster. The previous owner had troweled texture applied. Looks like someone used a toothed trowel (like tile layers use). Its not have bad to paint with a good roller, but I did myself a favor by going with a darker color than white. Shows the dirt after about six months.

Is there an online source where I can see different textures?

Thanks!

steve
Old 12-01-2006, 01:40 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Residential Renovations/Remodeling

Do a Google search for "wall texture" and then click the Images link to see just pictures. That should find you a lot.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:17 PM   #11
Pro

Tried google, but results were mostly contractors advertising their services.

steve
Old 12-01-2006, 05:01 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Residential Renovations/Remodeling

Did you click the Images button after doing the Google search? 7,190 images at the link below. When you see an image you are interested in and the URL looks like it's applicable, open the image in a new browser window.

http://images.google.com/images?ie=U...es&sa=N&tab=wi

Here is one site I found that says they have a gallery of pictures.
http://www.cynthiadesigns.com/textur...d_finishes.php
Old 12-01-2006, 07:16 PM   #13
Pro

Thanks, I didn't think of that. I found a few pics that looked interesting. The "sand swirl" appears to be a winner. The "spanish" knifed texture also looks interesting.

I have a few drywall books somewhere. There's a few techiques outlined, but obviously not exhaustive.

steve
Old 12-14-2006, 07:08 PM   #14

Trade: Contractor/Finisher
Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danahy View Post

Can i Get Some Pics on that
Thanks

Advertisement