Learn How To Estimate

Old 11-25-2017, 07:14 AM   #1

Trade: Drywall
Rewards Points: 2

Learn How To Estimate

Hello there I'm a commercial subcontractor i want to start bidding on bigger jobs I was wondering if anyone took online classes to learn to estimate thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2017, 05:39 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 414

Re: Learn How To Estimate

If you are a subcontractor now, don't you already know how to bid jobs? Don't you submit an estimate for the general contractor?

Or, are you a sub-contractor, by the hour? Or, does the General tell you how much he will pay and you do the job for that amount?

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2017, 09:39 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeling (mostly kitch/bath)
Rewards Points: 2,796

Man, I'd have to think estimating for drywall work would not be too difficult. As long as you have the experience under your belt and do a detailed inspection/discussion about the work that needs done, it should be a piece of cake. Experience in the field (IMO) trumps any "classes" you may be able to take.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:26 PM   #4
Designer/Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,056

Maybe hook up with someone who has that experience, pay them for some knowledge?
Old 11-29-2017, 11:30 AM   #5

Trade: Home Builder
Rewards Points: 6

I found that accounting 102 was helpful. Buy any book for accounting 102... also I don't know a lot about drywall but in my experience, we provide building plans for our drywall material supplier, they provide a quote and how many boards it'll take. When it comes to the labor I'd suggest bidding on a price per board count ie. $20 x 400 bds.