Knockdown Texture

Old 02-13-2010, 11:58 AM   #1

Trade: remodeling, siding, windows, decks
Rewards Points: 75

Knockdown Texture

I have never done this texture before. I would assume I need to use the large orfice on my hopper gun? After spraying do I need to let the mud set up before knocking it down?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-13-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 2,942

Re: Knockdown Texture

Which texture is that?

Old 02-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: bricklayer/stonemason
Rewards Points: 312

belive he means the same type of finish a stucco guy would do after dashing a wall...basicly dash ..let it set up then hit it with a trowle to smooth it down and give it a texture...now shure how this would work with a ceiling type texture but belive lve seen this type of texture before in my travels
Old 02-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
SEMI RETIRED

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorconst View Post
I have never done this texture before. I would assume I need to use the large orfice on my hopper gun? After spraying do I need to let the mud set up before knocking it down?
Yes the larger nozzle. You will need a test spot to fool with the consistency of your mix, air pressure and how long to wait before you hit it with the trowel. You will see the splatter start to bleed on the drywall paper. If your inside with heat it can get away from you quick. All the above will have an effect on you finished pattern, just depends what your looking for. Also how fast you move the gun.

Last edited by griz; 02-13-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #5

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 25

Mud needs to set up a little bit if you are using a metal blade for knockdown unless you have a light touch. If you use a flexible rubber trowel with very little stiffness - you are able to knock it down much sooner.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:55 AM   #6
New Guy

Trade: Home Restoration Services
Rewards Points: 10

In my experience if you are doing knockdown over a painted or primed wall with very little existing texture, its best to shoot an orange peel, medium texture first. after that has set hit it with knockdown. I use a medium to large bore nozzle, low pressure with a pancake mix consistancy.I find shooting it with orange peel eliminates "bare spots" on the wall. I remember the first time I did knock down I did it over freshly skimmed and prepped rock, and ended up spending more time touching up to kill the bare spots than I did for actually shooting it the first time.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: carpenter/ handyman
Rewards Points: 1,000

I did a ceiling patch at a HO's house the other day & I couldn't match the knockdown texture. It was some goofy stamped 3"x10" pattern that must have been attached to a pole. In between the patterns the ceiling is bare (no texture whatsoever). All the gizmos in my van couldn't emulate the pattern.
The HO is going to experiment with a can of knockdown. Good luck.
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtequipment View Post
In my experience if you are doing knockdown over a painted or primed wall with very little existing texture, its best to shoot an orange peel, medium texture first. after that has set hit it with knockdown. I use a medium to large bore nozzle, low pressure with a pancake mix consistancy.I find shooting it with orange peel eliminates "bare spots" on the wall. I remember the first time I did knock down I did it over freshly skimmed and prepped rock, and ended up spending more time touching up to kill the bare spots than I did for actually shooting it the first time.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #8
Working

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,122
Send a message via AIM to Cole82

If you guys use sand in your mix then you don't have to wait to knock it down. The big knock down blade rides on the sand.

Cole

The boss of awesome
Old 02-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #9
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 2,942

without a picture, there really is no way to tell you.

There are spray on knockdowns, paint roller applied knockdowns, and hod applied knockdowns. They all give different texture patterns.

Each of those three general knockdowns has variations. The most obvious variation is the amount of water in the mud but there are the different size holes in the hopper gun, different nap rollers and even specific rollers to provide specific patterns, then there are a variety of ways to apply the mud with a hud or a modified hod.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #10
SEMI RETIRED

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see where he was matching anything. But I don't have my glasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole82 View Post
If you guys use sand in your mix then you don't have to wait to knock it down. The big knock down blade rides on the sand.

Cole
Cole82,
I've never seen sand sprayed as interior texture. Must be a big titanium or something nozzle. Don't know what you guys east of here call it but if it has sand in the texture it's called skip trowel where I'm at. Cheer Griz
Old 02-14-2010, 03:22 PM   #11
Working

This is what my knock down looks like. This is with sand texture mixed so you don't have to wait to wait.

I use the large tip and low presure.

Cole

The boss of awesome
Old 02-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #12
SEMI RETIRED

Looks about the same we have here. Just never saw the sand blown on before. I'll have to give it a try. Guess we all grew up in different towns together. Cheers Griz
Old 02-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Historic Restorations
Rewards Points: 274

Knockdown ceiling : prime ceiling to slow down dry time...water mud to be like pancake batter...run 100 psi...largest hole on hopper (most bold pattern) 10 x10 room box of mud... pastic walls...cover floor...12 in knife to knock down... wait about 5 mins before knocking down vary your direction very light touch. watch for lines,if you are getting a lot of lines wait a couple more minutes. Prime and paint as required.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:01 PM   #14
Working

Painterman a 12" would take forever to do a whole house.

This is what I use clear 24".
http://www.marshalltown.com/productD...x?prodID=14397

The boss of awesome
Old 02-14-2010, 04:10 PM   #15
SEMI RETIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole82 View Post
Painterman a 12" would take forever to do a whole house.

This is what I use clear 24".
http://www.marshalltown.com/productD...x?prodID=14397
Cole82 has it, a 12" knife for knockdown. Maybe in a closet. I've got a 30" steel knife I have used with great success.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Historic Restorations
Rewards Points: 274

I agree but where I live no way would you find a Knockdown knife,you make do with what you have.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #17
SEMI RETIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by painterman View Post
I agree but where I live no way would you find a Knockdown knife,you make do with what you have.
I'm not questioning your abilities and don't want to start an argument, but why can't you find a knockdown knife where you live? Are they illegal? You could get on off the internet.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtequipment View Post
I had to do some repairs because of old water damage. So the ceiling is painted. I planned on priming the whole ceiling before texturing. There is no texture on the ceiling now. They want me to match the texture that they have in another room. It is a very very heavy knockdown, makes Cole's look like orange peel. After what they have was applied I bet there was not one square inch of ceiling that wasn't covered.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #19
Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorconst View Post
I had to do some repairs because of old water damage. So the ceiling is painted. I planned on priming the whole ceiling before texturing. There is no texture on the ceiling now. They want me to match the texture that they have in another room. It is a very very heavy knockdown, makes Cole's look like orange peel. After what they have was applied I bet there was not one square inch of ceiling that wasn't covered.
Watch this video.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

The boss of awesome
Old 02-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #20

Iv'e seen that on another post before. Thanks for sharing thou.