How To Tackle This Finishing Timeframe?

Old 09-12-2017, 01:42 PM   #1

Trade: Carpentry

How To Tackle This Finishing Timeframe?

Long time lurker. Love the forum.

Backstory: This is not my project. House needs to be move in ready in 3 weeks. Carpenter walked out on owners. I was asked to come in and help for "free" because I know the the owners. I said yes because up front it was 10 sheets and nothing complicated. They would provide a "helper".

Original time frame(for purpose of question, not the entire house) was this.
Day 1-3: hang and finish drywall
Day 4-5: cabinet install

9 foot ceilings. Over plaster. Lots of natural light.
They planned to buy 4x8 sheets and blue bucket. I explained that 2 days won't be needed for the cabinets to give me an extra day for finishing. And that it will take 24 hours between coats as long as the temp/humidity is good. And to buy 54" instead of 48" sheets will save a lot of time. And that blue bucket isnt what i normally use to set tape(green). They want everything hung vertical and no stagger. No skim coat. I'm also using someone's help who has never touched drywall in their life. This isn't a paid gig for anyone.

Now after I've explained to them what a reasonable timeframe is. The level of finish they need. The proper supplies that will make for a better job and less work. Why to stagger. Why horizontal is better. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc.....ETC.

They changed the timeframe to 2 days to hang and finish. Because they're bringing in a paint crew to do the entire house on day 3. I told them there's no way it will be ready to paint. They then explained the paint crew will touch anything up which is absurd to expect.

I'm trying to stay calm through this. Even in my post not ranting. At this point I'm fully aware of why their original carpenter walked...

So my question now is how the hell am i supposed to get a level 5 in 2 days? They wont buy a hot mix. They wil not budge on anything they're intending to purchase. The house doesn't have heat. And the guy helping to "save me time. Has never touched a taping knife.

The only thing I can think of is tell them it will be a level 3 and that's all that's possible in their timeframe with their supplies.

I wished I hadn't said yes....

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #2

Re: How To Tackle This Finishing Timeframe?

Level 2 not 3. Unsure of how to edit posts.

Advertisement

Old 09-12-2017, 04:35 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,745

All blue lid? Bad idea.

I don't think they're going to be happy with a level 2 or 3.

I don't think you can do it in a day, with 1 day to dry.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:41 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 6,408

I would gently extricate myself from thier problem. There is no way you can get decent results in that time frame. They had money to pay the other guy, they can pay you. On a normal timeframe. Even with hot mud, it won't dry in time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
KAP (09-12-2017), MarkJames (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 05:49 PM   #5
Hack

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2

Someone once said that people always want what they can't afford.
There's no one that could do that in two days... Not even 48 hours straight.
And for free?
They're just going to have to change their timeline.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Charging tree fiddy per lineal BOB
Old 09-12-2017, 06:10 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 54

Maybe a thin coat plasterer could do it in two days, but it will take a month to get one there.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:37 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 9,469

So who asked you to work for free, in such a rush, and without knowing squat? And by what circumstance do you owe this to them?

This is nuts and the best way to teach somebody like this to NOT play their game, unless there's some obligation we don't understand.

And if you do decide to play, do it your way. They can stick their blue lid somewhere else in this fairy tale.

Edit: And paint is on the third day? Walk away and laugh. Let them find someone else to push around. (There is a way, but not for these numbskulls.)

Last edited by MarkJames; 09-12-2017 at 06:44 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
asevereid (09-12-2017), Jaws (09-13-2017), We Fix Houses (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 07:08 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 22,252

Tell them "because you know them" you're going to give them the unvarnished truth, especially since they're getting it for free... they can't get what they want PERIOD... you're not going to do it, and by the time they get another person whom they will now have to pay to do it in the timeframe that's going to be needed to do it right, you could have already had it done in the timeframe needed to do it right...

No heat, blue lid, they're kidding themselves... if they don't want to listen to you, that's your opportunity to get out... don't adopt their problem especially for no pay... why would you willingly do that to yourself when you seem to know better?...

Last edited by KAP; 09-12-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #9
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 2,302

my advice is to tell them you need these materials and however many days you say it needs or find someone else who can help them out. Even if you have said 'yes' that doesn't preclude you from backing out given a valid reason. Playing golf isn't a valid reason but if they are difficult to work for and rushing your job, that sure is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 72chevy4x4 For This Useful Post:
asevereid (09-12-2017), hdavis (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 10:11 PM   #10
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,176

Dood,

Did they cover your gambling debt or help you dispose of a body? No? Then tell them its your way or the highway.

Beggars fing choozers bruh.

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metro M & L For This Useful Post:
asevereid (09-12-2017), Jaws (09-13-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 10:36 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,390

You seem to be skilled enough to do the job properly but not skilled enough to handle the assholes you're dealing with. I would ask them which door the last carpenter used.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
hdavis (09-13-2017), Metro M & L (09-15-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 12:35 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,210

I wouldn't tolerate that b.s. from a paying customer much less someone I am "helping out". I'd be walking out right behind the carpenter they probably ran off.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:52 AM   #13
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 9,218

That's easy, tell them to fvck right off and go find a paying gig with less demanding people.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:07 AM   #14

Love the comments. I needed to get this mess off my chest.

No I don't owe them(home owners) anything. The favor was because it's a very good friend (and his family) of mine will be moving in. And he asked if I could jump in to help things along. It's that timeline or no place to live. Though I realize they may ultimately have to move in to a place without a functioning kitchen. The home owners on the other hand...are a complete hassle to deal with. It's to the point I ignore them and walk away as they are still trying speak. If this were an actual job I would have no issues putting them in their place and giving them two choices. Mine or nothing. But like I said I'm doing this to give a family(close friends) a home.

I was there this evening. Made a lot of progress getting them to understand. I said it's this or nothing because of how impossible their expectations seem to be. Though the last 2 weeks of explanation was like talking to a brick wall. "I've renovated 10 houses included one I had built from the ground up." I can't imagine the quality that went into any of the homes they "fixed up". Maybe they are use to poor work in a short time.

Turns out the house is in poor shape. Framing is anywhere between 18" and 26" OC. Plaster pulling away from lath. Home was built in late 1800's. It needs to be taken back to the framing. Which I've explained too many times to count. I said i will not guarantee a single thing done. Period. Ive warned them too many times.

Oh and while i was there...Previous carpenter did such an amazing job I wonder why he walked out. Being paid to install door frames that are crooked so badly the jamb sticks out over an inch on one side and flush on the other. At least it closes I guess. He trimmed out rooms that need drywalled. I get a lot of walls are not plumb because of age but neither is any of his work! 1/8" and larger gaps on mitered casings. Stuck drywall patches in walls...thats it. No backing. No screws, no tape, just hanging there. All his mud work is patchy, large voids, lifting tape, smooth as the surface of the moon. Opened up a partition wall and cut into the wall framing so deeply on the end it all needs replaced. That list goes on and on and on.....and on.

The worst part? "The painters will fix all of that." Was what I was told. I wonder if the paint Crewe will walk.

Bonus. I got them to bump things an extra day. Which won't do me any good after putting new framing into some of the walls and fixing some major mistakes that need addresses immediately.

Free? Help? Favor? Never again. Ever. Don't ask. I'll finish this job. But call it life lesson.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:11 AM   #15

And hopefully I made it clear the friend I'm doing this for and the home owners are not the same people what so ever.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:47 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 2

with friends like that..
Old 09-13-2017, 06:29 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 9,469

So the friends are renting from this owner? How about they move in, get a pro-rated discount, and live on microwave cuisine and take-out for a week or more?
Old 09-13-2017, 09:32 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,745

OK, so if I rent a place to your friends, you'll redo a place for free?
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
KAP (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 10:56 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 22,252

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
OK, so if I rent a place to your friends, you'll redo a place for free?
Income for me, none for thee... amazing...

If his "friend" is under some contractual time obligation to get them in by a certain date, he's not paying him, and doubtful he's paying the last guy, so he probably has the dough to foot the bill for a couple nights hotel at a minimum...

But hey, it's not like people ROUTINELY live in homes that are being remodeled...

Talk about a friend taking advantage of a friend...

Last edited by KAP; 09-13-2017 at 11:08 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 08:02 PM   #20
Profit is not dirty.

Trade: Residential Drywall and Taping
Rewards Points: 262

lol thats a epidemic throughout our industry, GC an H/O screw the pooch and expect us as drywallers and finishers to make up for their lack of planning.
Just my 2 cents worth

Advertisement

hdavis (09-15-2017), MarkJames (09-15-2017)