How Hard Is Hot Mud

Old 05-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: drywall and paint
Rewards Points: 75

How Hard Is Hot Mud

how hard is it to use 40 min mud vs the pre mixed i have never used anything but the sheetrock brand all purpose joint compound mud.... and do you use the 40 min stuff on all three coats?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Home Repair

Re: How Hard Is Hot Mud

I would start out using the 90 min just to get a feel for the product. The top coat should be with premixed, try wet sanding when product sets it is easier than waiting for it to dry completely.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Hot mud takes some getting used to. I have found it is harder to sand thou. People do it different ways. Some I know use premix to bed their seams and then hot mix the next day. Others it is all hot mix. If the weather is decent i will do all premix. If its rainy, bed with permix and then hot mix and touch up with premix.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
SEMI RETIRED

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,308

Just gotta be quick with the trowel & clean up.

How big a hurry you in?
Old 05-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #5
;-p

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 2,312

As suggested you should get a feel for the stuff before you get too comfortable with it. But once you do you will want it to go faster. My favorite is 5 minute. That and 20 min are my most used.

I always strive for no sanding. When using hot mud it becomes dry enough to put more coats on but will not completely cure for hours. So sanding right away is not always an option. If I leave a blade mark or something like that I like to use a 6" blade to take out my imperfections.

Also if you are making a patch on an already painted wall you need to be careful when you are taking out your imperfections because where it goes from patch to existing wall the two might cure in different times. So your patch might cure faster and where you are feathering the patch might dry slower so it will smear when you go over it.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
;-p

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 2,312

Also when you get into the faster times I always clean my knives and pan after I empty the pan.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
Grand Rapids Remodeling

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,048

Don't get me wrong here but your posts here have been asking "how to" about your listed trade.

Are you just starting out?

Anyways, hot mud is a different animal. Like others, get some 45 or 90 and see how it goes. Once the H20 hits the powder the clock starts ticking.

Have fun.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #8
Chief Reporter of Spam

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 548

One of the best ways to get used to hot mud is to use it on smaller repairs so that you get used to the consistancy and set up time

or just get some and do it!!! if ya screw up, just sand it down
Old 05-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: renovations and repairs
Rewards Points: 250

I use it on smaller stuff to do the taping and second coat, then all purpose for final coat.

I don't mind using it, I usually use 20 minute for small repair areas, only thing is as mentioned it sets up fast, you have to be sure to clean up properly. Also can be hard to sand, I learned this the hard way, that is why I top coat with all purpose, nice light coat that will cover all the blemishes and sand easily.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:07 AM   #10
Pro

ive been drywalling off and on for 8 years my first job was 80 sheets with my uncle in a old run down mill that his boss wanted to make office space out of. Well then i decided few years ago to get back in to it and didt a few jobs, then i got out of it because i couldnt find work and now i want to go full time and just landed a house job to do and all i have ever used is pre mix im good at it ive skim coated walls ive done repair work for small hole and big holes, and ive hung a lot and mudded alot. Just trying to find advice to help me get it done quick but right. i love doing it and once the work comes im hoping to become one of the automatic go to drywall and paint contractors around.... WHICH I KNOW TAKES TIME but im hoping
The Following User Says Thank You to disantodrywall For This Useful Post:
Paulie (05-07-2011)
Old 05-07-2011, 07:59 AM   #11
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,563

Disanto, There is a learning curve.
But, you can get past that after a few times of using the hot mud.
I too like to use all purpose for the final coat. One of the most important things with hot mud is proper mixing.So, before your going to mix it. Take a moment and read the mixing instructions on the bag and follow them to a tee.Also, Keep in mind that different brands of hot muds have slightly different instructions on mixing. Good luck.

-Paul
Old 05-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Remodel Contractor
Rewards Points: 536

Hot mud is a HUGE time saver. Give it a try...but start with 90. I'd even suggest trying it on something prior to taking on that whole house to get an idea of working time. 90 minute doesn't mean you have 90 minutes of working time. I go through much more hot mud than premix because the only time I use premix is occasionally for final coat if it's a large enough area that I'm working on. Bathrooms, patches and the like it's all hot mud.
Just did a 12"x12" patch for a customer on Thursday, her grandson punched a hole in the wall and she was very upset. Besides the family drama....it was in her family room and she was concerned that there would always be a hint of a patched hole in her hole. In and out in under 2 hours including texture. Got a call Friday morning after they'd painted it, she just wanted to tell me how perfect it came out.....could not tell it'd ever been touched.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #13
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,614

I learned using hot mud with the 20. I use hot mud for my 1st and 2nd coats and then topcoat with lightweight pre-mix. I like the fact that hot mud dries faster, harder and adheres better.
The Following User Says Thank You to TBFGhost For This Useful Post:
jps614 (05-07-2011)
Old 05-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Remodeling / Carpentry
Rewards Points: 580

The 20, 45, 90 min means it can be re-coated at that time at a specific temp and humidity.

I too am using the light weight ready mix for small jobs as a top coat. A box fan helps drying. 45 - 60 min its ready to sand.

I would not use LW on too big an a job as its not near as hard as conventional ready mix its subject to damage and dings very easily.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by disantodrywall View Post
how hard is it to use 40 min mud vs the pre mixed i have never used anything but the sheetrock brand all purpose joint compound mud.... and do you use the 40 min stuff on all three coats?
You'll be cussing if you use durabond on the final coat. Just bed the tape in it and you'll love it.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #16
Grand Rapids Remodeling

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,048

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller View Post
You'll be cussing if you use durabond on the final coat. Just bed the tape in it and you'll love it.
Ya know I always used durabond for corners in basements only. Then started talking to ole Frankawiz and I started using it on first coat. But now I don't know, durabond just works different. Last basement I went back to using it on corners only and mixing half a bag of 45 at a time, sometimes close to the whole bag at once. Went fast.

Ahhhh, next job I'll probably do something different.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:29 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Home repairs,drywall,trim. Mesh addict.
Rewards Points: 2,674

I bought a bag of Durabond (brownbag)20 about a year ago. Never used it. Think I was a little leary about it being too hard.

My favorite quicksets are from National Gypsum.

Different brands vary on how they mix and set. Your best to find the one you like and stick with it.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #18
Pro

so can you mix it in your mud pan a little at a time so you dont have to much mix it to like a sour cream thickness and do it that way until you get used to it?
Old 05-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #19
Chief Reporter of Spam

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by disantodrywall
so can you mix it in your mud pan a little at a time so you dont have to much mix it to like a sour cream thickness and do it that way until you get used to it?
Yes, but rotate mud pans... your pan will get hot, forcing your next batch to set up quicker.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Remodel Contractor
Rewards Points: 536

When you get accustomed to it, mix up larger batches in a bucket with a paddle. One of the learning curves is, how much to mix at once and be able to use it before it stiffens up too much to be workable.