Fibafuse

Old 09-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #1

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 10

Fibafuse

Heard some issues with fibafuse paperless tape cracking. Wondering if it's just application error and if anyone uses it or prefers to use it over paper?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-04-2011, 12:33 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Female Electrician
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Fibafuse

When my home was built over 6 years ago they used mesh tape and everything looks as good as the day it was finished.

The Following User Says Thank You to Redliz75 For This Useful Post:
TNTSERVICES (09-05-2012)
Old 09-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #3

We may not be talking about the same product. Here's a link.
http://www.sg-adfors.com/Brands/Fiba...lReinforcement
Old 09-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Restorations
Rewards Points: 250

Know nothing about it but it sounds like a gimick.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #5

Trade: carpentry and painting
Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanwolf View Post
Heard some issues with fibafuse paperless tape cracking. Wondering if it's just application error and if anyone uses it or prefers to use it over paper?
Fibafuse is a relatively new product and I haven't heard anything negative about it nor do I think it's a gimick.

I have used it very succesfully on butt joints. It seems to have at least as much strength as paper and significantly reduces the typical butt joint hump.

So yes, I prefer it over paper, but it's probably not necessary for inside corners or taper joints.

And, BTW, I don't care for fiberglass mesh tape.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #6

I agree. I think it's better than paper looking at it similarly because it truly fuses with the compound. Wondering if it would be beneficial to use it over mesh rape for large gaps? On any joints, gave you noticed if you oversand it, do the hairs pop out or do they shave off?
Old 09-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #7

For large gaps, Fibatape makes a 6" wide mesh tape that works well. That' the one I use for patching cracks in plaster.

Fibafuse does leave little "hairs" sticking up if you oversand, but a quick swipe with some sandpaper after priming takes care of it.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #8

Do you think that fiba fuse is a product that could replace paper or will paper continue to be the standard
Old 09-04-2011, 08:12 PM   #9

I think Fibabfuse COULD replace paper tape, but other than butt joints, there's no real advantage. Paper is strong enough, cheap enough, readily available, a well-tested product and in the hands of professional drywallers (which I am not) probably a little faster to install.

I keep Fibabfuse on hand mostly for repairs which, technically, are butt joints.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #10

Looking at all the technical data it's clearly a superior product but of course that is supplied by the company.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #11

Trade: drywallnut/general B

I use paper tape in all my joints with hot mud.....as I do alot of smooth wall, and providing you have the right mix, won't have any cracking. Why would anyone want to change a proven method that is fool proof.

I am interested in learning more about fibafuse and would like to know how it will go with hot mud.

Hey Liz, if you have mesh you probably have texture and will not notice any cracks.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #12
I no spell good

Trade: No Longer Zoned
Rewards Points: 226

Paper can be tricky for the occasional installer. Bubbles behind the tape can be an issue. Fibafuse solves that problem. It's also much stronger than paper. Why wouldn't you want a solution like that?
intjonmiller (03-30-2014)
Old 12-01-2011, 06:58 PM   #13

Trade: Drywall
Rewards Points: 61

Can this Fibafuse be ran threw bango's or bazooka's?
Old 12-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #14

Angus, the only 3 reasons why there are bubbles behind the paper tape....1/ there is movement in the drywall when mudding and air is puffed in. 2/ the mix is too stiff or not enough. 3/ or ?

If you put paper tape tight between your hand and try pull it apart, you can't. I haven't tried that test with fibafuse yet, but I do look forward to seeing what it can do.

Angus, how do you know fibafuse is stronger?
Old 12-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #15
I no spell good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwidude View Post
Angus, the only 3 reasons why there are bubbles behind the paper tape....1/ there is movement in the drywall when mudding and air is puffed in. 2/ the mix is too stiff or not enough. 3/ or ?

If you put paper tape tight between your hand and try pull it apart, you can't. I haven't tried that test with fibafuse yet, but I do look forward to seeing what it can do.

Angus, how do you know fibafuse is stronger?
From their sell sheet. They claim Fibafuse is 76% stronger then paper tape. Even if it's only 50%, it is still stronger. It's made from fiberglass.

I don't tape and mud often...actually hate doing it...but I'm forced to as I cannot get a pro drywaller to come tape and finish seams on 1 or 2 sheets of drywall in my bathroom remodels. To a pro like yourself, I'm sure paper tape is so easy, you could successfully install it in the dark while drunk. I struggle with paper. But beyond that, I don't use any kind of paper in my remodels. I use DensArmor drywall. I had been using a mold-resistant mesh tape but have now switched to FibaFuse. Only have tried it once but I like it. Easier to finish (to me) than much thicker mesh tape.

Last edited by angus242; 12-02-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:44 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Home repairs,drywall,trim. Mesh addict.
Rewards Points: 2,832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwidude View Post
I use paper tape in all my joints with hot mud.....as I do alot of smooth wall, and providing you have the right mix, won't have any cracking. Why would anyone want to change a proven method that is fool proof.

I am interested in learning more about fibafuse and would like to know how it will go with hot mud.

Hey Liz, if you have mesh you probably have texture and will not notice any cracks.
The only times I've used paper with hot mud is with 45 or 90. And I rarely use paper at all anymore.

As far as Fibafuse ........are we talking about their 2'' mesh tape or that cloth-type sheet on the link of the OP??
Old 12-02-2011, 05:58 AM   #17
Grand Rapids Remodeling

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,048

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanGoghFinish View Post
Can this Fibafuse be ran threw bango's or bazooka's?
If you view the video, 'ole Myron eventually gets to using tools with it. I have yet to try it and I doubt if there is a bathroom job big enough for me to use my bazooka with it so I'll probably never know. But I will try it in my next bathroom and hand tape.

I'll stick to using good 'ole paper on large jobs and wait for the feedback after this new product is vetted for a few years.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:47 AM   #18

I agree with Paulie .....

Hey big shoe....we are talking about the paper tape replacment which is 2" roll.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #19
Grand Rapids Remodeling

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,048

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
Paper can be tricky for the occasional installer. Bubbles behind the tape can be an issue. Fibafuse solves that problem. It's also much stronger than paper. Why wouldn't you want a solution like that?
Is Fiba Fuse self sticking like reg. mesh?
Old 12-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #20
I no spell good

Nope. Installs just like paper.

Paulie (12-03-2011)