Estimating Corner Bead Repair

Old 10-25-2017, 05:54 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Repairs & Finish Work
Rewards Points: 248

Estimating Corner Bead Repair

I've done estimating. Although when it comes to digging out, re-securing, patch and skim the failing corners I've found them to be angels of deception to say to the least.

Time and effort can vary by a factor of 2-3. You just never know what the removal will be until you execute, at least IMHO.

Anyone else run into this? Only real answer to take what you think X 2 or X 3 ?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-25-2017, 10:11 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 22,086

Re: Estimating Corner Bead Repair

When estimating something that can have variations in time it takes to complete when a fairly solid time estimate isn't really feasible, we add in a fudge factor to accommodate for it and is different depending what's being done, do it on T&M or advise the customer that the final number is subject to revision within a percentage rannge...

After that, it's one of the reasons you have profit built into each project to pay your company to create Capital Reserves / Emergency Fund so it can absorb things you can't realistically go back and charge for...

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2017, 02:08 AM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
When estimating something that can have variations in time it takes to complete when a fairly solid time estimate isn't really feasible, we add in a fudge factor to accommodate for it and is different depending what's being done, do it on T&M or advise the customer that the final number is subject to revision within a percentage rannge...

After that, it's one of the reasons you have profit built into each project to pay your company to create Capital Reserves / Emergency Fund so it can absorb things you can't realistically go back and charge for...
Current customer was unwilling to go T&M. They wanted a hard number, combined with paint.

Another part of the problem is that if fixing cracking corners is being combined with say, painting, and the other areas are being patched, then leaving the corners undone becomes glaringly obvious on the completed project set against the otherwise solid wall surfaces. - That phenomenon of where when some things are patched and made hidden, the next most visible defect becomes greatly accentuated.

And just who is willing to go for $150 to $200+ per corner? Virtually no one from my experience and I've done a lot of drywall correction with varied customers. Which is why most corners are simply left as is, or so many get caulk incorrectly smeared across them.

Last edited by artinall; 10-26-2017 at 02:13 AM.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:09 AM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by artinall View Post
Current customer was unwilling to go T&M. They wanted a hard number, combined with paint.

Another part of the problem is that if fixing cracking corners is being combined with say, painting, and the other areas are being patched, then leaving the corners undone becomes glaringly obvious on the completed project set against the otherwise solid wall surfaces. - That phenomenon of where when some things are patched and made hidden, the next most visible defect becomes greatly accentuated.

And just who is willing to go for $150 to $200+ per corner? Virtually no one from my experience and I've done a lot of drywall correction with varied customers. Which is why most corners are simply left as is, or so many get caulk incorrectly smeared across them.
Sometimes as much as we want it to be (who likes wasting time) we have to realize that not everyone is our customer no matter how hard we may try to accommodate their "preferences"...

No matter how you arrive at the number using the various methods, charge what you need to charge for it to make sense... if it doesn't make sense for either one of you, well...

NEXT !...
The Following User Says Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
artinall (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 08:15 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Sometimes as much as we want it to be (who likes wasting time) we have to realize that not everyone is our customer no matter how hard we may try to accommodate their "preferences"...

No matter how you arrive at the number using the various methods, charge what you need to charge for it to make sense... if it doesn't make sense for either one of you, well...

NEXT !...
I agree.
The Following User Says Thank You to artinall For This Useful Post:
KAP (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 08:18 AM   #6
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 9,188

T&m
Old 10-26-2017, 08:25 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
T&m

Quote:
Old 10-26-2017, 09:22 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 160

Quote:
I agree.
How many are there? If there's 1 I can see $200-$250 but if there's a bunch that should lower your price per corner significantly. Also how bad are they? I've repaired corners that looked good overall but had one spot cracked. Drive in a few screws and mud. I've also had some that were just installed wrong so the layer of mud was paper thin, those had to be redone. Paint is paint, if they want the whole room painted after you fix the corners that would be $***x.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:26 AM   #9
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 16,434

Bid it high enough to cover the worse case scenario.

Bid it low enough to secure the job and work for hamburger flipper wages.

Offer time and materials work.

Those are your options. Their problem isn't your problem unless you make it so.
The Following User Says Thank You to RangoWA For This Useful Post:
Workingmanvan (10-27-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 02:57 PM   #10
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 9,188

Quote:

Guess I should read eh...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2017, 03:43 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Painting, flooring
Rewards Points: 972

You should just bid it including skimcoating all walls to level 5. Otherwise theyll be pissed the texture isnt the same.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to sparehair For This Useful Post:
KAP (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 07:01 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
How many are there? If there's 1 I can see $200-$250 but if there's a bunch that should lower your price per corner significantly. Also how bad are they? I've repaired corners that looked good overall but had one spot cracked. Drive in a few screws and mud. I've also had some that were just installed wrong so the layer of mud was paper thin, those had to be redone. Paint is paint, if they want the whole room painted after you fix the corners that would be $***x.
There are about six outside and a couple inside. The metal outside I started removal and found there were hardly any nails holding the thing on...flimsy.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:05 PM   #13
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 5,746

Quote:
There are about six outside and a couple inside. The metal outside I started removal and found there were hardly any nails holding the thing on...flimsy.
The way it should be.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:35 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Carpenter-Renovations/Repairs
Rewards Points: 256

I would just visualize how long it will take, and give them a number on that.

For painting, I would just state that simply painting the repair may not result in a seamless blend, especially with an older paint job, and you would recommend painting the wall corner to corner with any repaired areas. If it is that many corners it may be time for a repaint of the place if you talk it up the right way, I think it would make sense with that many repairs being done.

Other than that, think of how long it will take to rip off the damaged beads, re-set new ones or repair existing as necessary. 1-2 more coats as needed. Poly off area if necessary before sanding. Sand, prime, paint however much they are willing to pay for. Remember to include set up and clean up time. Think of it in terms of days spent there, not hours.. That's what helped me get better at estimating stuff like this anyways.

I'd just factor in time fooling around with fast set or whatever else if a corner needed some work once you ripped the bead off. Might be easier just to replace the beads than re-set old ones.

and your price is your price, I wouldn't adjust it for someone else's needs, only the scope.

Advertisement