Elliptical Arches

Old 02-08-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
Artisan Carpentry

Trade: trim carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,000

Elliptical Arches

Here is a link to a thread I did on elliptical arches:

http://www.contractortalk.com/f13/cu...corners-71544/

I'm sure pro drywall folks have different ways of doing some of this, but I thought you might like to see how this carpenter approached it.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-09-2010, 06:43 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco

Re: Elliptical Arches

Bass, Nice work but you could have used metal lath and saved yourself some time and materials. for a plaster job that arch would have been filled with portland then float with plaster. I'll see if I can find some pictures of some big arches I've done.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: carpentry/drywall/plaster
Rewards Points: 250

Excellent craftsmanship, to say the least. However, a bit time consuming and profit eating ? Arches can be framed with flex track and rocked. Or as previous post mentioned, lath and plaster.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
Artisan Carpentry

Thanks guys,

See, I knew the real plaster guys would have a different way to do it.

Sometimes I do things the hard way... or at least it looks harder, but then again, I'm set up for carpentry--rather than plaster work--so to me your method might look hard, while mine looks easy to me.

This job has arches all over, but I've been doing a room at a time to get the family back into some of the rooms (did office, then mudroom, then utility room, then laundry, now bathroom and next is a hallway). Now that is more work than doing it all at once, but they are glad to be back in the office and be back doing laundry, etc. while I finish the rest. Pros and cons to every approach I guess.

Anyway, another reason for the way I framed the arches is that the last pair of arches are flanking a pocket door. My solid framing should hold up well for the pocket. I'll add pics of that next week.

I sometimes have a difficult time getting real plaster supplies here, so drywall and joint compound are used when something else might be better or more authentic.

Thanks for checking in on this.

Cheers,

Brian
Old 02-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
Pro

experiment with metal framing. it's light, flexible and cheap. A guy with your skills will have no problems with it. However, if your system is working for you, and you're comfortable, it's profitable etc...stick to it.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
Artisan Carpentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-rock View Post
experiment with metal framing. it's light, flexible and cheap. A guy with your skills will have no problems with it. However, if your system is working for you, and you're comfortable, it's profitable etc...stick to it.
I don't think anyone here stocks flex track... could probably be ordered in though. I bid it high enough to make money on it, and it worked, so all's good.

I used to work in a steel frame fabrication shop (Rolled Steel Inc.), but I do like working with wood.

I figured you guys would have other methods... I just make this stuff up as I go.

Cheers,

Basswood
Old 02-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswood View Post
I don't think anyone here stocks flex track... could probably be ordered in though. I bid it high enough to make money on it, and it worked, so all's good.

I used to work in a steel frame fabrication shop (Rolled Steel Inc.), but I do like working with wood.

I figured you guys would have other methods... I just make this stuff up as I go.

Cheers,

Basswood
That's what I love about this business keeps work interesting !