Drywall Over Drywall? Thoughts?

Old 04-25-2010, 03:54 PM   #1

Trade: Drywall
Rewards Points: 10

Drywall Over Drywall? Thoughts?

hey guys, I just was asked to do a job from a friend who is a painter. He says the walls are beyond the point of repair and wants me to slap 1/4" drywall over it. For some reason, this method never sat right with me because your shortening the room, the outlets and light switches have to be brought out, and just the fact that you are fastening it to a not so level and messed up wall...Just rubs me the wrong way... I would just rather take it all down and hang new 1/2" up. What are your guys thoughts on this process? am I being to anal?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,607

Re: Drywall Over Drywall? Thoughts?

How does tearing out and rehanging the drywall do anything to straighten up the "not so level" walls? Years ago, when I used to hang drywall for my previous employer, we sometimes would hang 1/4 over walls. A lot less mess and labor. I don't think any codes permit that as an acceptable solution though.As for shortening the room, that half inch by half inch reduction will result in about a whole sq ft of loss per room.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:06 PM   #3

Trade: Drywall

I hear ya.. I guess the only thing that would constitute me tearing down the walls would be to fur the actual studs rather than furring the existing wall.. I feel as though you are just bypassing the "real" problem the wall has by slapping it over..
Old 04-25-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Building and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,028

Happens all the time here, but usually with plaster walls with 3/4 inch trim...you'll need longer screws for the outlets. It all depends what the coustomer wants and can pay for...it's his call...their is no code violation
Old 04-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #5
Professional Services Inc

Trade: General Contractor

As you know it can be done both ways. Ask the client if they want perfectly level walls. If so you should rip it out down to existing studs and install new gypsum. Furring or shimming where necessary.

If the client dosent care about the walls being perfectly level, then 1/4" over existing is fine. Use longer screws to secure any outlets or switches to gem or junction boxes already existing in walls.

You will have to remove and replace existing base moldings should you decide to laminate with new 1/4" over existing. Also any other trim or moldings such as crown oir dentil at ceiling if it exists.

Sometimes it is best to rip out, sometimes it is besat to laminate over, and sometimes it is best to skim 3 coats with durabond, plaster, compound, fiberglass mesh applied first etc. This all depends on who is doing the work, the level of skill they posess, and what the client wants to pay for.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 2,184

its acceptable, if the homeowner wants fresh walls when there is old wallpaper on them we simply skip stripping the wallpaper because the'll have to be skimmed anyway. so we just goto new 1/4" on top

1/4" is fine for the outlets as well, at 1/2" you need longer screws for the plates and in some instances extensions for the boxes so it meets code
Old 04-25-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 2,006
Send a message via AIM to boman47k

What about the door jams in a situation like this? Can you get 1/4" mud rings?
Years ago, we had paneling put over dw. I'm sure the rec were just handled by bringing the rec out and placing covers back on them. I changed this mysel by gutting the rooms myself.
One more ?. Does the 1/4" dw not get wavy? Use glue between the studs to partially glue the old and the new rock??
Old 04-27-2010, 05:40 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Home repairs,drywall,trim. Mesh addict.
Rewards Points: 3,280

Walls have to be pretty bad to go this route. Must be plaster walls?

1/4'' should be laminated with mud and or glued and screwed if the walls are uneven.

3/8'' is alot stiffer but you may only need to srcrew it.

If the door caseing is not comming off you may need to flat tape around them.

Let us know how bad those walls are, skimming normally works.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #9
vandy

Trade: painting, decorating, wallcovering
Rewards Points: 250

I am getting ready to finish a ceiling that will be laminated over with 3/8"

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as it will look good when done.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #10

We could all go on forever about this topic. The bottom line is, who ever is doing the work must figure out all the factors involved and decide which route to take and what process or combination of processes he will use.

Each one of us may select different methods based on several factors. In order to truly decide how to complete this work we really need to be the one doing it.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
The Brains

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 150

we opened a wall up a few weeks ago in a building that is f---ed in every corner u look. this wall had 3/8 on top of paneling on top of 1/2 inch. we took all down and put new.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:36 AM   #12
Profit is not dirty.

Trade: Residential Drywall and Taping

Hey all,
1/4" drywall in most cases would be fine, but if the wall is that gone, it should be removed...in my opinion the 1/4" drywall is not stiff enough to be straight when screwed to the studs...if the drywall is in that bad of shape with cracks, dents, missing, the 1/4" will be mimicking the bottom layer in some areas. You will be floating out the 1/4 to make it straight.
Tare it off and use the proper thickness of board....just my thoughts...

J
Old 04-28-2010, 08:38 AM   #13
Profit is not dirty.

Trade: Residential Drywall and Taping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas25 View Post
We could all go on forever about this topic. The bottom line is, who ever is doing the work must figure out all the factors involved and decide which route to take and what process or combination of processes he will use.

Each one of us may select different methods based on several factors. In order to truly decide how to complete this work we really need to be the one doing it.
Yup could not agree more....well said
Old 04-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #14

Thanks. Glad you agree! And you are right, I hate CHEAP Also. Cant stand guys who think the only way to get work is by lowballing. It destroys our living!!!