Is Drywall A Good Career?

Old 10-15-2017, 07:12 PM   #1

Trade: Drywall

Is Drywall A Good Career?

Hey guys, I recently started an apprenticeship for a interior systems mechanic position (fancy name for drywaller I suppose) and I was wondering how it is for a long term career? I like working with my hands and working hard through the day so that part is A-okay with me, but I was wondering more so about the future outlook on the type of work and the type of pay I will be expecting. Is the job security there and will I be making a decent living out of it? Thanks!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-15-2017, 07:48 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 162

Re: Is Drywall A Good Career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchipotatoes View Post
Hey guys, I recently started an apprenticeship for a interior systems mechanic position (fancy name for drywaller I suppose) and I was wondering how it is for a long term career? I like working with my hands and working hard through the day so that part is A-okay with me, but I was wondering more so about the future outlook on the type of work and the type of pay I will be expecting. Is the job security there and will I be making a decent living out of it? Thanks!

In the right market you can make really good money. It's not for me but if you like it. My drywaller could pull down $150,000/yr if he was more ambitious.

Advertisement

Old 10-15-2017, 07:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
Quote:

In the right market you can make really good money. It's not for me but if you like it. My drywaller could pull down $150,000/yr if he was more ambitious.
Is this assuming that you have your own local business and doing a TON of overtime? After you get your ticket I believe my company pays 31.50$/hr which is not too bad but seems vastly underpaid compared to almost every other trade which is kind of discouraging. I wish I could just figure out this whole career thing out haha.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:52 PM   #4

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 14

Wow 150k, the for men's in my area at the company I was at least make about 80k with maximum over time
Old 10-15-2017, 07:56 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Is this assuming that you have your own local business and doing a TON of overtime? After you get your ticket I believe my company pays 31.50$/hr which is not too bad but seems vastly underpaid compared to almost every other trade which is kind of discouraging. I wish I could just figure out this whole career thing out haha.
Self-employed so no Benefits but you can buy your own with that money. 5-6 days a week. My finisher can do a $3000 finish job in under a week by himself.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:06 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 6,900

I could never do drywall all day everyday!! 4x8 sheets all day everyday Do you still have to qualify by drinking budlight all day and chain smoking?? I think drywall sucks!! Oh and at first all you seem to ever do is mover the crap around while the older guys hang it. Oh but after you get good at moving it and new guys come in they will let you start screwing it off,,,,oh joy
If you like working with your hands and making nice things stay away from drywall,, oh unless you get into the artsy side of it,,,,
MarkJames (10-16-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 08:10 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: New Construction & Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,228

Ditto...I've absolutely seen finishers here do $3-4k jobs in 5 days...they aren't sitting still though. I finally found one finisher that simply works 5 days a week, 40 hour weeks and is busy as could be, he wants 8 weeks notice if possible...but he actually shows up and presses jobs onward every day...I pay a little premium to have that happen, but I'll gladly throw $500-1000 extra if the guy shows up and works normal hours and doesn't just show up when he decides to wake up and never gets anything done!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mstrat For This Useful Post:
Big Johnson (10-15-2017), overanalyze (10-15-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 08:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Quote:
Self-employed so no Benefits but you can buy your own with that money. 5-6 days a week. My finisher can do a $3000 finish job in under a week by himself.
What's your opinion on finishing vs ISM as a career? I wish my company did things a different way but they kind of seperate the drywallers/finishers/ceiling people. The finishing aspect of drywall genuinely interests me as making it look pretty is a lot easier to have pride in and the artistic side of things is kind of cool. The whole "not a recognized trade" part of it kind of worries me though. At the end of my apprenticeship I will get my red seal but with maybe little to no taping experience. I believe if I show interest to my boss that I would like to finish instead, he could move me over but I will not get my red seal for the ISM program. Decisions like this kind of stress me out because I just turned 24 and I feel like I'm at the age where I need to stick to something now. What do you suggest? Or any advice at all.
Thanks and I appreciate the help.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:47 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
What's your opinion on finishing vs ISM as a career? I wish my company did things a different way but they kind of seperate the drywallers/finishers/ceiling people. The finishing aspect of drywall genuinely interests me as making it look pretty is a lot easier to have pride in and the artistic side of things is kind of cool. The whole "not a recognized trade" part of it kind of worries me though. At the end of my apprenticeship I will get my red seal but with maybe little to no taping experience. I believe if I show interest to my boss that I would like to finish instead, he could move me over but I will not get my red seal for the ISM program. Decisions like this kind of stress me out because I just turned 24 and I feel like I'm at the age where I need to stick to something now. What do you suggest? Or any advice at all.
Thanks and I appreciate the help.

No more advice from me, I'll let the drywallers take over. it's not for me but only you can decide if you like to do it. I think all finishers should have to put in at least 6 months hanging first but I don't know how that works. I've only know of hangers and finishers separately, don't know how they got there.

Hangers don't make the kind of money finishers do.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:35 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 622

In terms of 'Glory Jobs' in the trades, LOL that feeling is short lived. A good clean tight hanging job is more beautiful than the final product, IMO. Satisfaction comes from what you get accomplished-how much you change the environment. Open studs to rooms can be as satisfying as framing the house.

If you have a genuine interest in finishing, not the perception of it, look into what it 'it'll take to get your company or organization moving you to finishing. May have to prove you you're dedicated by hanging rock for a while. Nothing wrong with mastering hanging before you go on to finishing. Crappily hung board, really really really takes the Joy out of finishing

Starting out no matter where you end up hanging/finishing, becoming a depndable and valued employee is job #1. Satisfaction in being that will take you that extra distance beyond mastering a trade.

Good Luck
charimon (10-23-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 09:45 PM   #11
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 140

Quote:
True enough, though a kickass hanger can make decent money. Long term, you ought to be proficient at all aspects of the work--and finishing is a lot easier on the body once you get it down.

Just about any schlub can hang fairly well after a bit of practice. It takes much longer for most folks to really get a good touch at finishing. Once you do though, you'll always have work.

But you and your vehicle will always be unacceptable in polite society.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:30 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,697

IMO, anyone who is strong and likes to hustle can learn to be a top notch hanger. Some people will never be top notch finishers.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:13 PM   #13
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 9,188

Finish high school or finish drywall.
sparehair (10-23-2017), WarnerConstInc. (10-16-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 11:26 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 266

I'll gladly hang drywall but I flat out suck at finishing I gladly bring in a sub and pay him really good money to tape, float and texture. He makes good money and stays busy because he's good at what he does and does what he says he'll do, and I get to focus on what I'm good at.

That's the trick. Know what you're good at and what your not. While at the same time learning how to do all of it (or as much as possible). The real money comes when you can start focusing in on your best skill sets.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Wax View Post
In terms of 'Glory Jobs' in the trades, LOL that feeling is short lived. A good clean tight hanging job is more beautiful than the final product, IMO. Satisfaction comes from what you get accomplished-how much you change the environment. Open studs to rooms can be as satisfying as framing the house.

If you have a genuine interest in finishing, not the perception of it, look into what it 'it'll take to get your company or organization moving you to finishing. May have to prove you you're dedicated by hanging rock for a while. Nothing wrong with mastering hanging before you go on to finishing. Crappily hung board, really really really takes the Joy out of finishing

Starting out no matter where you end up hanging/finishing, becoming a depndable and valued employee is job #1. Satisfaction in being that will take you that extra distance beyond mastering a trade.

Good Luck
Thanks for the great advice. I don't know, even from my first day on the job my eyes kept going back to watching what the tapers were doing. Seeing the strokes and layers of mud filling joints/screw holes alone was extremely satisfying to me (maybe some kind of OCD lol). I think even as a hanger my favourite part currently is seeing the screws perfectly apart from eachother or sweeping the dust at the end of the day and seeing the strokes LOL.

I guess I just don't want to waste my boss' time, don't want him to put me through school and invest in me just to tell him I want to be a taper instead. So it makes me feel like I have to decide sooner or later.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:37 PM   #16
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
Thanks for the great advice. I don't know, even from my first day on the job my eyes kept going back to watching what the tapers were doing. Seeing the strokes and layers of mud filling joints/screw holes alone was extremely satisfying to me (maybe some kind of OCD lol). I think even as a hanger my favourite part currently is seeing the screws perfectly apart from eachother or sweeping the dust at the end of the day and seeing the strokes LOL.

I guess I just don't want to waste my boss' time, don't want him to put me through school and invest in me just to tell him I want to be a taper instead. So it makes me feel like I have to decide sooner or later.
Put you though school? I though not attending school was how you become a drywaller.
GAN57 (10-20-2017), hdavis (10-16-2017), jlhaslip (10-16-2017), ScipioAfricanus (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 12:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
Quote:

Put you though school? I though not attending school was how you become a drywaller.
Lel. Well not sure if it's different in Canada. It's a fully recognized trade by the name of "interior systems mechanic" or "lather".
Old 10-16-2017, 12:26 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 6,900

Quote:
No more advice from me, I'll let the drywallers take over. it's not for me but only you can decide if you like to do it.
I'm out too
Here hanging and finishing are 2 different guys.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:07 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Carpenter-Renovations/Repairs
Rewards Points: 256

My advice would be to finish your apprenticeship.. even if you only want to finish drywall (Is it just me or would that not get a bit boring after a few years?) then yeah focus on being good at that.. but having a ticket and having a higher skill level- steel stud framing, T-bar, doors, whatever else, as well as mudding- .. will get you hired faster, for more money, and with more responsibility. Have you tried framing, or ceiling installs? doors? I'd rather do that than drywall finishing personally, although that said nothing wrong with mudding, and I have always had a lot of respect for those I've worked with who could do a meticulous clean job, I learned a lot and improved my mudding a lot from them.

For all we know as well- If construction techniques change, new construction may not involve drywall tapers. Not tomorrow, but at some point, and you sound like you are young and just getting into it.

At least get your ticket. If you love finishing, then start your own business and earn a reputation as someone who does high end finishing work.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:22 AM   #20
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
Lel. Well not sure if it's different in Canada. It's a fully recognized trade by the name of "interior systems mechanic" or "lather".
Where are you located?

Around here its not given the epitome of respect.

Advertisement