Drywall Estimating And Bidding

Old 04-15-2007, 10:27 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Drywall, Plaster,Interior Demolitions,Small Repairs
Rewards Points: 150

Drywall Estimating And Bidding

Anyone hear about the increase in drywall labor this year? I made contact with 5 sites so far and demonstrated for them the mistake they were making in regards to telling potential Drywall customers "what they should be paying". All 5 updated their their information. I have gotten on average 10 emails a day regarding quotes and I am explaining it as simple as $45-85 a sheet.....REGARDLESS of SHEET SIZE. Here is the bottom line gentlemen....we are not gonna pick up a customer on here, so why make it harder on the next guy right? Remember in our previous posts and topics how we were discussing the misunderstanding of "GOING RATES" etc? Well.... I think we can all agree Going rate is like $45-$85 a sheet for everything...ready to paint. Out of every email I been getting every day it's the same old "it's like $10 a sheet right"? WRONG...lol. At best if you find a guy NEEDING the work maybe $10 to hang, $10 to finish and all the materials which in most cases comes to over $10 a sheet right? I am determined to see to it that these idiots on these other pages stop giving false and misleading information to home owners. Oh well, at least I got my crew here that understands my frustrations..lol

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-15-2007, 11:29 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Home Remodeler
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Drywall Estimating And Bidding

It amazing on how these other drywall guys stay in business at the $10 a board rate.

Advertisement

Old 04-16-2007, 12:13 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Drywall Taper
Rewards Points: 250

Ya know King . I really do admire you. Well done in keeping our trade professional. I will tell you that I will do my part in keeping our trade professoinal. There have been way to many times that I have lost jobs because Joe blow down the street hung 1 sheet of rock 20 years ago and says that I am a crook for charging what I do. It is the main reason that I went to subbing off another drywall contractor. I really am a hot head when it comes down too my pay check, and really don't have the communication skills to deal with people that classify my trade to that of fast food help.Again well done and thanks
Old 04-16-2007, 12:24 AM   #4
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 3,998

King, am I missing something here? How many homeowners do you work for? I think of drywallers as sub-contractors working for general contractors. Sure, there is the rare occasion when a homeowner acts as his own general, but how big a part of your business can that be?

Try to convince a gc that thats a reasonable rate. Not likely. The GC's that I know know how long a job should take. They talk to other subs. In fact, I rarely need to look for a new sub when I feel it's time to say good-bye to one I've been using because there is a constant line of them calling me or stopping by my jobsites selling themselves. I just ask for a labor rate psf. They see the job and what's entailed, they don't need to take the time to measure, and they give me a price. If their price is reasonable, I can go look at some of their current work.

With your prices, I wouldn't bother to call you back. You would never be in business at those rates, at least in my market.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:12 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Drywall
Rewards Points: 75

1King, you're right. I'm in the Dayton area and those are in the same range as the figures I've been given: $65-$100/bd. Granted, $95 and up was fewer and farther between, but it still happened. The guy I was working with said a company bid a comm. job for $55-$57/bd, and didn't know how they wouldn't lose money, nonetheless, make a profit. Keep it up!
Old 04-16-2007, 12:53 PM   #6
Pro

I actually only do drywall for a small group of builders. My bread and butter is the On call repair service from $99 and up. No overhead. No bidding, just phone quote it and go. We (myself and 1 other guy)can do anywhere from 20-70+ per week whether behind plumbers,electricians,insurace companies etc or other drywall subs that don't come back to do the repairs they should be. My experience with new construction was that I grossed alot but didn't net very much......with repairs it's almost all profit. I have a few crews that do my new constructions.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:06 PM   #7
Pro

You are right, generals are a little more informed of what a job costs.
And If you are going to be a steady customer, like a builder, than you can get builder rates. My concern is with the homeowners. Not really generals contractors. Homeowners are being misinformed about cost.
If you give your neighbor who is building a house himself your cost and what you pay for your drywall services, you are misleading him. As a drywall contractor you have to anticipate more problems and possible delays than you would with a builder....so you price accordingly. My apologies if you misunderstood me. To give a little more insight though as far as how many home owners I deal with-probably 1 new construction home a month,maybe anywhere from 1-4 basements and a few remodels.?? just to give you an idea. The oncall repair service is almost all homeowners obviously.....but my steady builders GC's I deal with.....I got no complaint there.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:30 PM   #8
Jus' Keep Goin

Trade: Drywall Finisher
Rewards Points: 10

RE :Thom s post
Better stay down there ,as ,the further north you go, the smaller the pool of skilled labour becomes.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:23 PM   #9

c'mon up here...EVERYONE thinks they can hang & tape....Had a gc try to tell me how to do "it" today....laughed in his face and handed him a pan. Told him "If you know soooo much, why am I here?"
Old 04-16-2007, 10:16 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Drywall Taper

[quote=clogman1;228046]c'mon up here...EVERYONE thinks they can hang & tape....Had a gc try to tell me how to do "it" today....laughed in quote]
It must be because it is spring . I had the exact same thing happen to me today. I was also told because it was 10 degrees celcius out side that I also didn't need to use the furnace either. I tell them that unless I can comfortably work in my t shirt - the heat stays on or I move on.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:32 PM   #11

Trade: I own a drywall company
Rewards Points: 25

Anyone know average rates in Pennsylvania?( East Coast)
Old 01-10-2008, 12:57 PM   #12

Pa prices vary depending on what your looking for. There is guys who will use illegals and do it for .60 cents a square foot. I would say the meduim is .72 cents psf. At $10 a sheet most finishers will make 2000 bucks a week. That would be hard to live on right?
Old 01-10-2008, 05:01 PM   #13

yeah .72/sqft. seems fair, I'm starting my own business and was thinking somewhere around .75-.80/ft. but my question is, does that account for materials or do you tack on the extra .25-.30/ft. for the board, mud ,tape,corners, sanding materials etc.?? appreciate the help!
Old 01-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #14

And how much do you usually add on for corner bead? I was thinking about .75/sqft. am I too high priced to get the jobs? My partner and I are young experienced drywallers and take much pride in our work. Let me know what you think. thanks again!
Old 01-10-2008, 07:59 PM   #15
Pro

You would be lucky to get a house here in Ohio for more than .80 right now. It's sad.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:02 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: drywall contractor
Rewards Points: 500

You're talking labor .80 plus rock??? I hope for your sake.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:28 PM   #17
Pro

nope. Out the door. I bid a house last week at .87-the guy laughed in my face! I can get board for.14 too.

Last edited by CrazyTaper; 01-10-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: drywall contractor
Rewards Points: 500

You bid furnish rock, hang, finish for .87?? I'm staying in Iowa!! OUCH!
Old 01-10-2008, 09:12 PM   #19
drywall contractor

Trade: drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by select drywall View Post
Pa prices vary depending on what your looking for. There is guys who will use illegals and do it for .60 cents a square foot. I would say the meduim is .72 cents psf. At $10 a sheet most finishers will make 2000 bucks a week. That would be hard to live on right?
What kind of house you doing , that you can tape, bed, skim, texture, sand and clean up in 40 hours.
Thats alot work for 1 man to do.
That would be 9600 sq feet and you do that for .20 a sq foot Labor only.
where does the .72 come in at ?
Is that suply all mat. hang and finish?
Old 01-10-2008, 09:18 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Interior Commercial Contractor

This sound good and all but no one wants to pay. Or they will get some one cheaper.
Case and point..
I bid bathroom or one room jobs. Tape and Finish ...$450.
I have to make 4 trips ,100 a trip.Plus 50 materail.
sounds fair . But to some it too much.

Iam doing a kitchen right now. About 700 sf and 5 bead.
I gave him my price $525.
He got another price for $350. And told me that it only about 6 boards need to get finished. Ceiling and a few spots where there is no cabinets. Fine i went down to 350. So there was a crooked wall so he had to cut half the bead off. And some other touch ups in the other room that pop up after i started. So there will be a extra charge.I told him today what i will hit him hard on the extra and he rolled his eyes.

Advertisement