Does The New USG Light Drywall Contain Fiberglass?

Old 01-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #1

Trade: Home Remodeling
Send a message via AIM to DALESCARPENTRY

Does The New USG Light Drywall Contain Fiberglass?

I just hung a basement this past Friday with the new USG 30% lighter drywall. I have to say it is a good product but I broke out in hives yesterday morning. I have never had a reaction to anything in my life besides fiberglass insulation. I want to know if this new product contains fiberglass. My arms and the back of my hands are so bad right now I am thinking of going to the hospital. The hives are starting to seep fluid. If this product does contain fiberglass it should contain a warning for people like me that break out from fiberglass. Have any of you that have used this drywall had some type of rash or hives shortly after using it? Thanks Dale

Last edited by DALESCARPENTRY; 01-09-2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something
The Following User Says Thank You to DALESCARPENTRY For This Useful Post:
rogerkat (06-03-2012)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Hang, Finish, Texture, Paint, and Repair.

Re: Does The New USG Light Drywall Contain Fiberglass?

Wow! That suck's.
I haven't tried that new USG stuff yet.
Keep us posted. and Good Luck.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
Drywall & Painting Pro

Here's a link to their MSDS for that product
---->http://www.usg.com/rc/msds/panels/sh...n-54100002.pdf
Old 01-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Commercial Superintendent

That MSDS does not indicate any fiberglass. Fiberglass is common in several types of drywall products, especially ssheetrock meant for use in fire rated assemblies (Type X and C ). Type X does not have a warning on fiberglass.

I guess you should read MSDS on the products you install, but for a first order assumption, it appears that your rash is not caused by fiberglass in the GWB
Old 01-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
Drywall & Painting Pro

Here's a snip from the MSDS.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #6

I have washed it very well with soap and water. I have also taken Benadryl and applied anti itch cream. None of it seems to be doing any good. Thanks Dale
Old 01-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
Drywall & Painting Pro

Dale , Maybe you should consult a physician.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder

Just out of curiosity, are these the normal "hives" or are they the "30% lighter hives"?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thom For This Useful Post:
fourcornerhome (03-13-2013), Inner10 (06-03-2012), Jaws (06-03-2012), Sir Mixalot (01-09-2011), Tom Struble (03-17-2013)
Old 01-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #9

LOL the hives are 30% heavier than any I have had before. Dale
The Following User Says Thank You to DALESCARPENTRY For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (03-17-2013)
Old 01-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement/handyman

Here's some info independent of any particular manufacturer.
http://www.google.com/search?q=aller...&safe=off&tbs=
The Following User Says Thank You to GettingBy For This Useful Post:
Sir Mixalot (01-09-2011)
Old 01-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: unemployed carpenter

I used this product and had no side affects. small job, took 1 day. Good luck
Old 01-09-2011, 10:49 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: drywall applications

to see if drywall has fiberglass take a piece of it say 2 inches by 6 inches and break it in half , hold it up by a window light source you should see the fibres sticking out of the piece .
Old 01-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement/handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer_rich View Post
I used this product and had no side affects. small job, took 1 day. Good luck
Side effects may follow this pattern, which I saw for some drug.
It said 10% of the people taking this drug may suffer from 3 side effects, which they named.
Then it said 1% of the people taking this drug may suffer from maybe 15 side effects, which they named.
By the time they got down to the 0.1% level the number of side effects was huge, including death.

So, it may take hundreds of people using this product before just a few come down with symptoms serious enough to seek medical care. Also, cell damage at the molecular level may take 10 years to show up.

This is the kind of thing that should be monitored by the CDC, OSHA, EPA and possibly the CPSC. They are probably already doing it but they may want to keep this info under wraps because it could "harm business."

To find out how good a "corporate citizen" USG is, search on "v. USG". Here's one case but it's to do with patents.
http://dockets.justia.com/docket/tex...v00508/126761/

Here's another
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USG_Corporation
but I don't see any scandals here, like with some companies. But,
"Since 1994, U.S. Gypsum was named in more than 250,000 asbestos-related personal injury claims, and paid more than $450 million (before insurance) to manage and resolve asbestos-related litigation. USG received more than 22,000 new claims since the beginning 2001."

So it seems each plaintiff got about $2K from USG in exchange for their mesothelioma and other health problems.

Last edited by GettingBy; 01-10-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #14
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettingBy View Post
To find out how good a "corporate citizen" USG is, search on "v. USG".
I didn't bother doing that search, but you have to take the results of something like that with a grain of salt. The bigger a company is, the more of a target it is, particularly in our litigation-happy society.

Excellent point about small-percentage side effects. It's practically impossible to produce a product that won't negatively affect someone, somewhere out of the billions of people on the planet.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #15

I went to the ER this morning for this rash. I had to because it was not getting any better only worse. The doctor prescribed me Prednisone for it. I sure hope it goes away soon. Dale
Old 06-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #16

Trade: framing

This stuff is the worst. It isn't any lighter than regular drywall. It's harder to cut. The outside peels. I just don't like it at all but at the local building supply outlet it is all they sell now. Wish I could get the old kind of drywall. Won't use this s**t again unless I really have to.
The Following User Says Thank You to rogerkat For This Useful Post:
iDAHOchris (03-09-2013)
Old 06-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #17
Love What You Do !

Trade: Carpenter

Just hung a house over 150 boards no problems. The stuff we used was called 'Liftlight' . It did seem like you had to score the board real hard with the knife in order for it to snap nicely.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:08 AM   #18

Trade: Drywall

March 9, 2013
By BoardingPro
from Naniamo BC

"I am a professional boarder for 10 + years and run my own company, on Vancouver island in beautiful British Columbia. I HATE THIS BOARD and would NEVER use it in a house of my own.In fact, a lot of suppliers have started making this the default board here for half inch, meaning you cant get normal board at all, in some locations. It has now persuaded me to start trying to push home owners, to use 5/8s on everything(walls and all) , for not only better quality , but for fire protection and sound as well...

Most others will say I'm nuts, but Ive dealt with a lot of different types of board, on a lot of pretty advanced projects.If you don't believe me, then check for yourselves. FACT- when you cut this board in half, just take a look before you rasp it and you will see, air bubbles, similar to an aero candy bar.... REALLY? air ? wheres the fire protection in that? we all know what air does to fire... Now in some places it could work but here on the island the climate is a pretty damp one.This stuff crumbles to nothing when its damp ,leaving a huge mess for either patches, or lots of con-fill!! Either way, its more time or money wasted, on something that could have just been done the right way before hand by, USING REAL DRYWALL!! Now also in this damp climate you have the mold factor. What are little pockets of air, going to do when, a little dampness (you know , H20) gets inside the board? Yes it will turn to mush , but now these mold spores have their own "hive" to grow and fester in ..It was a good idea , but really, is it worth the risk? How are us drywall companies, going to look in 10 years from now, when peoples walls are rotted - to the point they almost start melting (don't laugh , I have seen it before!!) ???All of this, to save 13 measly pounds of weight? To each their own i guess, but really, all this "light" drywall, needs to be recalled and taken off the market...
There's a lot of people, in every business that thrive off of call backs for repairs , but i believe in taking pride in my work and delivering QUALITY, to my customers..Call me crazy all you want, and you will definitely regret using this garbage board , while others that listen to me, will thank me for the heads up!
A house is, where people live and that's the bottom line! Save a few bucks and small amount of weight?OR build something that will last a long time?
you've been warned , now the choice is yours!!"
Old 03-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Just out of curiosity, are these the normal "hives" or are they the "30% lighter hives"?

There is something wrong with all of us.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #20

Trade: restore

if you look on the cgc website boardingpro they are now making 5/8" fire rated ultra light. before you know it that will be the standard for all drywall. i totally understand what your saying. i have seen the areo bar center. when you run your knife down the board your knife randomly sinks in these air pockets and it very annoying. i have to say you can definitely feel the difference and it is nice and light compared to the old stuff. i'm sorry but this is the new standard like it or not. only time will tell if issues will arise. If walls get tons of mold and walls start melting then cgc will be at fault and who knows maybe you can do all your work over again for a premium and its not your fault for using a crappy product because its the only one you can buy. so i wouldn't lose sleep over it and just keep putting up the board until something actually happens.