Diamond Veneer Plaster

Old 09-13-2010, 01:04 AM   #1

Trade: drywall/plastering
Rewards Points: 25

Diamond Veneer Plaster

hello. can someone pease help me. i live in port mcneill bc. iv started useing diamond veneer plaster instead of tape and mud. (im a plasterer from england) im putting the plaster on the walls the same as i would back home( its the same a multi finish back home) but the problems im haveing is that it is setting to fast to get the whole wall smooth( it seems to be going good then all of a sudden its gone off) the plaster is 9 months old so im thinking it has someing to do with that as it has a 6 month shelf life. any help would be great thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #2

Trade: plaster/stucco
Rewards Points: 87

Re: Diamond Veneer Plaster

Sounds like you have one or more "hot" bags. Can you source fresher material?

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to rogerhattman For This Useful Post:
canadianwhite (09-14-2010)
Old 09-14-2010, 11:33 PM   #3

thanks for the reply. hot bags? i spoke to the suppliers and they said( we get that story all the time the rep tells us that its good in our warehouse for over a year) then i spoke to a rep and he said (its even old in our warehouses) he said to use cream of tartar to make it hold off a bit longer. will this work with plaster that is that old?

Old 09-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #4

I have had a few hot bags; they are no fun. Old, exposed plaster sets faster. I think there is more to it than just age, like how it is stored. So, you MAY have a hot bag. If USG says no, then I probably would defer to them. My experience is limited to the conventional plaster products, not the veneers so I can't say what sort of open time you should have. An acid like cream of tartar will slow it down, regardless of age. Only small amounts will be needed. Use the absolute minimum since it tends to weaken the plaster. I hope you have access to clean, cold water.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:54 PM   #5

thanks. . yea i have clean water, i will try cream of tartar on my next job. how much should i use? im mixing a 5 gallon bucket.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #6

You will have to experiment. I would try 1/2 tablespoon in a batch that size and see what happens. Test on a small mix.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #7

once again thanks for the info. i will try that.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:16 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: plastering and sheetrocking
Rewards Points: 75

Your maximum working time with that product is about 45 minutes before it sets. Once it sets you prob have another 15 minutes to knock it down smooth before it starts to "brown". Once brown, forget it. You can trowel till your arm falls off and you won't get it smooth. As far as adding "cream of tartar", I have never heard of this. Are you sure he wasn't talking about using RETARDER? You can buy retarder in little quart jugs and it is meant to give you more working time. However, it adversely affects the strength of the plaster. If you use too much the plaster will dry before it sets and will dry check.

My advice to you is to ask your supplier if they carry APEX veneer plaster. It is also made by USG and works much better for doing smooth. Often you can get it smooth with just one troweling.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #9

thanks rouerplastering . is the product you said also know as norfolk veneer plaster? if not then i am having trouble finding it. what im trying to find is a plaster that is the same as thistle multi finish back home its made from british gypsum . once you have put your 2 coats on you go over it 3 time maybe 4 if you want it to look like glass. LOOKS COOL but painters hate it but you have about 2 hours in good temps to get it smooth. im not aloud to post links so if you type in thistle multi finish you will see the product im on about. thanks
Old 10-26-2010, 09:30 PM   #10
Pro

I have never heard of Norfolk or thistle. When you are putting 2 coats on are you using basecoat and then finish? Or 2 coats of finish?
Old 10-26-2010, 11:49 PM   #11

two coats of finish. its actully 1 coat but you put it on then when you have covered the wall you go over it again then work from there. if there is a small room you can do it in 1 hit always the lid ( ceiling) first. diamond veneer plaster is close but when it starts to set you dont have long. with is the differants.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #12
Pro

Okay man. I'll PM you my method. I've been doing it for 20 years.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:31 PM   #13

Trade: Home Remodelling & Finish Carpenter
Rewards Points: 10

I'm having the same problem as OP. I think I did some great work on my first coat, but boy I had to move fast! I'm new to plaster, so I've been watching videos over and over to learn and get the technique down.
So now I've got a first coat on the walls, but I need a finish coat, and I mix this stuff up, it's slippery as live mice trying to get it onto your hawk and trowel and the wall, and if I can accomplish that, (yes, I'm mixing it wet in desperation) I can give it two or three strokes of the trowel before it's set up like clay. Instantly. Within 60 seconds for a 1/8" coat, moments for a 1/6th. I've tried adding an acid to retard the set, which is what cream of tartar is. In my case I used a little vinegar in a test batch, and I've tried spraying down the walls first, even sponging them heavily to reduce the moisture suction, and it still sets in seconds.
So I've decided that I've got a "hot" batch, or some no-good plaster whatever you want to call it.
I'd love to know your method Rourplastering, or any tips that anyone has. I might be pressing too hard, or maybe I'm just really bad at what I'm doing.
My first coat came out great, very smooth, very few bumps & valleys. I'm trying to put on a 3/16" veneer coat over blueboard.
I'm using National Gypsum Gold Bond X-KALibur Extended Set Veneer plaster, off the shelf at my Boston home giant store. It's gypsum based.
Any advice or reassurance is appreciated.

Thank you
Old 01-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #14

Trade: Home Remodelling & Finish Carpenter

Update:
It turns out that I DID have a bad bag - I picked up a new one and it's much better. I was finally able to get the set time on the wall down to 60 minutes (from<5 mins) by using this new bag and mixing it 3:1 with a bit of regular 90 minute drywall compound. God knows how it will turn with a mix on the wall, but they're both gypsum based and it looks beautiful.
For the first time I was able to go through all 4 trowlings before it hardened - apply, smooth, detail and polish!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #15

Trade: Construction/Remodeling

I just tried some Diamond Veneer coat plaster, used retarder and within 15 minutes hard as a rock. When I was troweling it on there were alot of clumps like it wasnt mixed enough. Checked the bag afterwards, hard pieces all through it, probably pulled dampness. Not the only time this has happened, but I have also had good luck with it in previous jobs. I am going back to the lime/gauging mix has always been good to me. I think there is more open time with the lime/gauging also.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:32 AM   #16
President

Trade: Residential Repaints
Rewards Points: 1,316

my family kept the paris in a 5gallon bucket with a tight lid... which seemed to work well. I use the same method to this day. Leaving it in the bag has always led to clumps, and I have had it pounded into my head that when a bag was going to be used, it goes into the buckets, or use the whole bag.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc1299 View Post
I just tried some Diamond Veneer coat plaster, used retarder and within 15 minutes hard as a rock. When I was troweling it on there were alot of clumps like it wasnt mixed enough. Checked the bag afterwards, hard pieces all through it, probably pulled dampness. Not the only time this has happened, but I have also had good luck with it in previous jobs. I am going back to the lime/gauging mix has always been good to me. I think there is more open time with the lime/gauging also.
lime/gauging mix? please tell
Old 03-09-2011, 09:17 AM   #18

To canadianwhite:

The lime and gauging is also called gauging plaster. The plaster guys we used to plaster the townhomes and condos used this everywhere. I just used it on monday to plaster a wall in my basement. The mix is 3 parts lime to one part gauging by volume. I use a little more gauging sometimes 2 to 1. The more gauging the stonger but quicker it will set up. There are several types of lime, I use Ivory. It will set up in about an hour, you can dampen your trowel and polish the surface, it does take about 3 - 6 days before it gets real hard in that time you can scratch the surface easily.
I just used national gypsums, X-Kalibur slow set veneer, it is very close to the lime gauging you have a hour to work with it, trowels out about the same, and you do not have to mix or add retarder. The other good thing is NG says you can paint after 48 hours the lime/gauging you should wait 30 days mostly because of the strong ph.
The Following User Says Thank You to dwc1299 For This Useful Post:
canadianwhite (03-10-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 09:22 AM   #19

I had mentioned in a previous thread that I used Diamond Veneer plaster and it had set up in like 15 min. I tried mixing the bag again to see what might have went wrong. My guess is the bucket must have had something in it, and contaminated the mix, because I used the rest of the bag for texturing and it set up in about 45 min. I also revamped my paddle mixer with extra bars to mix quicker and help take the lumps out. No one in my town sells anything but paddle mixers.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:55 PM   #20

Trade: Plasterer

Hi Iím a plasterer from England and recently move to Canada in England I used a product called thistle multi finish plaster what the equivalent of that here anybody now thanks chris

Advertisement