Crack At Peak In Vaulted Ceiling

Old 09-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 254

Crack At Peak In Vaulted Ceiling

Hi - I've been trying to determine the root cause of a ceiling crack for a customer. When the customer first called, they said there had been a crack in their vaulted ceiling, at the peak, almost since it was built 20 yrs ago. There were some other cracks on interior walls where the ceiling met the walls as well.

I went in and repaired it, assuming that using StraitFlex would take care of the peak, and that over the years the remainder of the cracks were due to settling, etc., because there were some issues with settling in the basement. I researched truss uplift, but was not sold that this was it.

Well, the work has been completed for 3 months, and now there is a crack on the ceiling that runs parellel to the peak, but not along the tape seam (it is about an inch below the edge of the tape). It appears that the sheetrock itself 'cracked' due to the tension near the interior wall. There are some hairline cracks that have appeared on the tape joint where the vaulted ceiling meets the interior wall. I haven't been in the attic to determine exactly how the addition was framed, but that I think should be my next move. I will verify framing if possible, what type of inso, etc. so we know exactly how the room was built before proceeding.

There are no cracks along the exterior walls. My assumption is that it is stick framed, but it could be a scissor truss. I can't figure out why the sheetrock would crack as it did. We have had some extremely hot days in the last month, and with the vault, I would think that humidity and the heat are wreaking havoc on the framing. Cold interior and extremely hot exterior - is it possible that even stick framed , ie 2x10 or 2x12, would see similar expansion issues as in truss uplift?

Anyone else seen this? I've researched truss uplift, but don't know for sure if that is what we are seeing.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,225

Re: Crack At Peak In Vaulted Ceiling

I've seen the tape pull loose at the ridge of cathedral ceilings many times, but never saw the drywall crack a bit lower down as you describe.

Usually, what causes it is that the rock was screwed very close to the intersecting edges, instead of a few inches back. The latter allows the drywall to "float" and flex a bit as the framing moves (which it always does for the life of the house).

I've never come up with a truly lasting fix that didn't require a fair amount of surgery.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
Ancient Rocker (09-09-2013), blacktop (09-10-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: home improvements
Rewards Points: 502

Truss uplift was what I was thinking when I first started reading your post but you squashed that by then end of paragraph 2.
Usually when cracking occurs at the wall/ceiling that can be contributed to seasonal truss uplift.
When cracking occurs at the peak after the first year or so you can figure the rafters/trusses acclimating.
Since you repaired it 3 months ago at the start of summer can it be a humidity thing?
Like the owners opening the windows in the evening then air conditioning it during the day?

The crack there now, can that be the spackle cracking at the edge of the tape and not the drywall cracking?

Old 09-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,300

Expansion/contraction & we try to build rigid structures on a planet that is moving & spinning....

Your situation is sorta like guaranteeing concrete not to crack...
Old 09-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
Project Superintendent

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
Expansion/contraction & we try to build rigid structures on a planet that is moving & spinning....

Your situation is sorta like guaranteeing concrete not to crack...
Right. I have this situation in my own house. I actually made a small (about 12" wide) flat spot at the top of the vault and used flex bead tape on each side. 18 years ago. Both sides cracked within a year and flex bead actually came loose and was hanging in spots. Just had it fixed for the third time (first two by me) 3 months in, so far so good.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #6
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,225

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpad View Post
I actually made a small (about 12" wide) flat spot at the top of the vault and used flex bead tape on each side.
For some time now, when I have the chance I lobby vociferously for placing an oak (or whatever) plank in that location in order to sidestep the whole issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
mudpad (09-10-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #7
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
For some time now, when I have the chance I lobby vociferously for placing an oak (or whatever) plank in that location in order to sidestep the whole issue.
I prefer something that looks like a beam...

but it's the same idea....

Great minds....
Tinstaafl (09-09-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 06:04 AM   #8
Pro

Rewards Points: 254

Thanks for the comments. I was leaning towards the same fix my self. Some sort of trim cover. But then I got to thinking about air sealing. Similar to adding crown to a truss uplift crack - there is still a crack that air is continually moving through so you're efficiency takes the loss. Maybe there is a compromise that you must be willing to take with cathedrals. There are already faux beams running parallel to the peak, down about 3 ft. I suppose I could add a painted 1x6 to the peak, mitered to meet the ceiling, and then caulk the edges before final paint coat. Shy of taking out 18" or so on either side of the peak, and using some modified drywall clips to let it float, ie surgery - this may be the only way to address it.

I'd rather do surgery. Thanks again!
Old 09-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #9
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 18,235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milhaus View Post
Shy of taking out 18" or so on either side of the peak, and using some modified drywall clips to let it float, ie surgery - this may be the only way to address it.

Or you could cut it out 18" on both sides, then pop a line and score the center back only of a new piece of drywall and put that up with no seam at the vault, just your own a factory crease.

TextureMaster.com
Checkout my YouTube Channel with 20,000 Subscribers and over 5,000,000 Views
https://www.youtube.com/paulpeck

Twitter Facebook Google+ Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Mixalot For This Useful Post:
TimelessQuality (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #10
Drywall Slave

Trade: drywall contractor
Rewards Points: 3,932

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpad View Post
Right. I have this situation in my own house. I actually made a small (about 12" wide) flat spot at the top of the vault and used flex bead tape on each side. 18 years ago. Both sides cracked within a year and flex bead actually came loose and was hanging in spots. Just had it fixed for the third time (first two by me) 3 months in, so far so good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milhaus View Post
Thanks for the comments. I was leaning towards the same fix my self. Some sort of trim cover. But then I got to thinking about air sealing. Similar to adding crown to a truss uplift crack - there is still a crack that air is continually moving through so you're efficiency takes the loss. Maybe there is a compromise that you must be willing to take with cathedrals. There are already faux beams running parallel to the peak, down about 3 ft. I suppose I could add a painted 1x6 to the peak, mitered to meet the ceiling, and then caulk the edges before final paint coat. Shy of taking out 18" or so on either side of the peak, and using some modified drywall clips to let it float, ie surgery - this may be the only way to address it.

http://www.all-wall.com/Categories/D...FaYDOgodFxIA6A
Old 10-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
Pro

Rewards Points: 250

If you go the surgery route, try and find some X-Crack by straitflex. It is a backing that isolates the drywall from the framing. Then you can use something like straitflex or no coat to get a nice crisp and straight line on the seam.
The Following User Says Thank You to kgphoto For This Useful Post:
SclafaniBuilder (10-18-2013)
Old 10-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Painting & repairs
Rewards Points: 508

Trim tex makes a product called Magic Corner that seems like it would work in a situation like this. It has a small flexible center that allows for some movement. Have never used it for this but have used it in some mobile homes where cracks kept recurring. Would like some opinions I have a crack in a peak to repair also.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
Drywall & Painting Pro

I do know the paper tape with metal doesn't work to well.
Attached Thumbnails
Crack at Peak in vaulted Ceiling-interior-painting-vaulted-ceiling-repair.jpg  

TextureMaster.com

Old 10-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #14
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 4,442

All my vaulted ceilings built properly didn't crack. 140 degree temp difference summer to winter. 55 psf ground snow load. Just ultra flex. But my drywall contractor said he had success on problem houses carving about a 1/4x1/4 channel at the peak and filling with elastomeric caulk. I'm not sure of the actual technique of carving this channel.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
All my vaulted ceilings built properly didn't crack. 140 degree temp difference summer to winter. 55 psf ground snow load. Just ultra flex. But my drywall contractor said he had success on problem houses carving about a 1/4x1/4 channel at the peak and filling with elastomeric caulk. I'm not sure of the actual technique of carving this channel.
Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but isn't that what magic corner is without the cutting. I was really hoping someone would look at it as I have one of these to repair. Am on laptop don't know how to link to trim tex. Maybe later on the big computer.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #16
Drywall Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Mixalot View Post
I do know the paper tape with metal doesn't work to well.
They put that on a seam?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #17
Drywall Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolNut View Post
Trim tex makes a product called Magic Corner that seems like it would work in a situation like this. It has a small flexible center that allows for some movement. Have never used it for this but have used it in some mobile homes where cracks kept recurring. Would like some opinions I have a crack in a peak to repair also.
I've used the Magic corner in a few attic renos . It has a nice look but it's a bit of work compared to ultra flex, Trim tex may not like me saying this but I taped the flange [paper] for insurance.. It's much cheaper than U/F ,But I still prefer the U/F 450 for those [off] off angles ...The 450 can straighten out a mess after a little pre-fill .
Attached Thumbnails
Crack at Peak in vaulted Ceiling-sam_0281.jpg   Crack at Peak in vaulted Ceiling-sam_0293.jpg   Crack at Peak in vaulted Ceiling-sam_0292.jpg   Crack at Peak in vaulted Ceiling-sam_0294.jpg  

Last edited by blacktop; 10-21-2013 at 08:55 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blacktop For This Useful Post:
Big Shoe (10-23-2013), Sir Mixalot (10-21-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #18
Pro

Thanks blacktop since this cracking is so common on these ceilings I thought this might eliminate the problem. Maybe it's just here in Fl but almost every cath. ceiling has cracks. I thought that little piece of flex would absorb the movement.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:48 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Carpentry,drywall,trim. Part time painter.
Rewards Points: 1,864

There is a you tube video with Myron Fergeson installing Magic Corner.

Maybe one of you smart guys can post it ?

I'll have to learn how to do that one of these days.
ToolNut (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #20
Drywall & Painting Pro

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Advertisement

TextureMaster.com

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sir Mixalot For This Useful Post:
Big Shoe (10-23-2013), Mountain Man (10-23-2013), MTN REMODEL LLC (10-23-2013)